New Grower Today is Day 5 - should I be concerned

Main thing to watch for on spider mites is webbing, usually see that before you see them.
I always see the little dots on the top of the leaves well before webbing. I had sooo many issues outdoors with them, I found that is the first tell that there are mites.. By the time they are webbing up my weed, it means there is a severe infestation and it's more of managing them till harvest.

Cheers :cheers: :yoinks::pass:

I always see the little dots on the top of the leaves well before webbing. I had sooo many issues outdoors with them, I found that is the first tell that there are mites.. By the time they are webbing up my weed, it means there is a severe infestation and it's more of managing them till harvest.

Cheers :cheers: :yoinks::pass:
Ok, never saw dots first, usually it was a wisp of webbing then leaf damage after...but wasn't bad infestation and got rid of it quickly

Ok, never saw dots first, usually it was a wisp of webbing then leaf damage after...but wasn't bad infestation and got rid of it quickly
Yeah brother, keep your eyes peeled on the tops of the leaves, sometimes when they first show up, there will only be a few (which is really several hundreds) of little really tiny dots, dead lead brown dots, like dead plant matter dead. It is usually just a few sporadic ones until they establish their colony, then they move to the top of the leaves, and then them little bastards cover the buds in webbing.

It is easier to treat before the buds start forming. Either way, once I had them outdoors, there was no realistic way to get rid of them. This, along with all the pollen that floats around outside is the two reasons I moved to growing indoors brother.

Cheers and happy growing!

Maybe the different kinds of mites have variations in behavioral patterns? :shrug: :pass:

I have had extensive spider mite problems with tomato plants and if you don't catch them early, culling the leaves (and related branches) are pretty much the only way to eradicate them. Since I don't use any harmful pesticides, I have tried various natural/organic ways to control them, but they require repeated foliar applications and continuous monitoring. I am going to keep a close eye and try my best to prevent them from forming a colony.

I have had extensive spider mite problems with tomato plants and if you don't catch them early, culling the leaves (and related branches) are pretty much the only way to eradicate them. Since I don't use any harmful pesticides, I have tried various natural/organic ways to control them, but they require repeated foliar applications and continuous monitoring. I am going to keep a close eye and try my best to prevent them from forming a colony.
You are right on point. I use rubbing alcohol 1/3 strength with water which helps some, but it is an ongoing battle outdoors at that point.

I moved indoors for this reason and to avoid contamination with outdoor pollen on my flowers. Indoors between crops I will drop a hot shot no pest strip in the tent for a few days. There always seems to be some little bug that finds its way in by the end of a cycle.

I moved indoors for this reason and to avoid contamination with outdoor pollen on my flowers. Indoors between crops I will drop a hot shot no pest strip in the tent for a few days. There always seems to be some little bug that finds its way in by the end of a cycle.

makes sense - my gripe is that I live in a part of the world that is blessed with wonderful strong sun throughout the year and almost ideal humidity and temperature, so it would be a shame not to make use of this "free" energy. That being said, this will be a great learning experience for me

@Mañ'O'Green @Bill.de.Cat @Ryno_nuggs I managed to take a few pictures with my digital microscope and my sense is that there doesn't seem to be a spider mite problem just yet. The white spots on the leaves seem to be natural. Would love to get your take on it - thanks much!

Attachments

• Day9-microscope_1.JPG
    Day9-microscope_1.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Day9-microscope_2.JPG
    Day9-microscope_2.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Day9-microscope_3.jpg
    Day9-microscope_3.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Day9-microscope_4.jpg
    Day9-microscope_4.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Day9-microscope_5.jpg
    Day9-microscope_5.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Day9-microscope_6.jpg
    Day9-microscope_6.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Day9-microscope_7.jpg
    Day9-microscope_7.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 27
organics pesticide
whole dried chillies chopped or ground with pestil and mortar Garlic clove , dish soap , apple cider vinegar (optional) or if u want to go full killer
Soak cigarette stumps in a bottle of water for a few days add some dish soap spray on the little fuckers the Formaldehyde and other healthy ingredients that are in cigarette tobacco kill anything and everything if applied liberally . Don't spray on fully formed fruit for obvious reasons thank me later :headbang: :smoking:

Back