Outdoor The trails and tribulations of a first time grower [journal]

Still don't understand why top max, but all looks good....i would not water too much, native soil holds water much better then in pots. Let's smoke some:pass:
Yes, the top max this early is also a mystery to me, but it says so on the feeding schedule I looked up from bio bizz. I guess it's to do with top max being, what I understand, a product that improves general nutrient uptake, so by adding it now in small quantities, the plant will take up more of the nutrients that it needs now. In the last 2 weeks before flushing you add it in a higher quantity. Should I stop adding it now? Will it cause the plant to think it has to bloom?

Anyone any experience with this, or know someone on here that knows? Please tag and reply if you do.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've never used top max, but I'm skeptical.
googled it a bit, and as far as I could find, top max is humic and fulvic acid from leonardite.

googling leonardite I got mostly salespitches from sites selling it, but also this site:
https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs...14/04/Alternative-Soil-Amendments-14lq9e4.pdf (page 6, ' humates')

seems to me like it would be cheaper to just add compost to your soil(also while it's organic, leonardite is a mined resource).
did you add chickenshit to the soil? because in that case the fish fertilizer might be a bit overkill. fishfertilizer contains mostly N, and weedplants do need plenty of N, but chickenshit is also rich in N.
and with liquid fish fertilizer you'll have the same downside as liquid synthetic fertilizer in full soil, it's immediatly available but it's also quickly gone, it just washes out with the rain. no problem if it's a try out pack anyway(which I'm assuming is free? ) but if you'll use it as a standard part of your grow, you're going to notice it in your wallet.
Thanks for that @fryge. Yes, I added the chickenshit pellets when I prepared the holes months ago, but I also wanted to have some nutrients in case of deficiencies, so I bought this try pack. You get 3 bottles of 250ml of different base fertilizer for each plant stage for 9€, which is hardly breaking the bank. I thought if it wouldn't help it wouldn't hurt (in the right quantities of course) to add it with the water I'm giving them.
I haven't seen any signs of to much N, do you? She was a much darker green than the frisian dew from the beginning, before the nutrients and the enriched soil. I think that's just the different phenotypes.

yeah it looks fine, no N defficiency and no toxicity either
and it will indeed be nice to have available to be able to quickly fix defficiencies.
but adding it with every watering, with such young plants and while you already have chickenshit in the soil could become too much I think, the chickenshit will probably last t least till july/august, possibly longer(if you added it in the amounts of that dame blanche-recipe).
so far, no sign it's hurting them though, but I think it's unneeded and you're just washing your money away to the groundwater that way. I would keep it just as backup when you actually see signs of defficiency.

but as long as you're not seeing any toxicity, not really any harm in it for the plant(only for the environment, but that's not an issue with just a few plants, in agriculture N-leaching is a big thing though).

edit:
about top max and flowering, don't worry about that.
it's eother lighthours(photo) or age(auto) that starts flowering, not the kind of nutrients. you can also get earlier flowering because of root restriction, and maybe with very low nutrients, basically severe stresses that make the plant think it's going to die and it needs to hurry up to quickly get some kids. but as long as it's just getting what it needs, the plant won't matter what the lable on the bottle says.

Last edited:
grwong nicely!
I've never used top max, but I'm skeptical how much it'll do.
googled it a bit, and as far as I could find, top max is humic and fulvic acid from leonardite.

googling leonardite I got mostly salespitches from sites selling it, but also this site:
https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs...14/04/Alternative-Soil-Amendments-14lq9e4.pdf (page 6, ' humates')

seems to me like it would be cheaper to just add compost to your soil(also while it's organic, leonardite is a mined resource).
did you add chickenshit to the soil? because in that case the fish fertilizer might be a bit overkill. fishfertilizer contains mostly N, and weedplants do need plenty of N, but chickenshit is also rich in N(and in your pictures, I don't see signs of N defficiency).
and with liquid fish fertilizer you'll have the same downside as liquid synthetic fertilizer in full soil, it's immediatly available but it's also quickly gone, it just washes out with the rain. no problem if it's a try out pack anyway(which I'm assuming is free? ) but if you'll use it as a standard part of your grow, you're going to notice it in your wallet.

as for training, depends on what you want to achieve with it. indoors it's common since you need to fot it in a small space, but outdoors it's not really needed. unless you want to keep it from getting too tall so your neighbours won't see it for example(I usually top for that reason, but tying down is too much hassle for me).

as for training, depends on what you want to achieve with it. indoors it's common since you need to fot it in a small space, but outdoors it's not really needed. unless you want to keep it from getting too tall so your neighbours won't see it for example(I usually top for that reason, but tying down is too much hassle for me).

Yes, with training I wanted to get more budsites and thus more yield in the end. But I don't know if its really necessary as its my first grow and I don't want to f*** it up. I'm secretly aiming to have around 50 to 60gr of dried bud in total of off the 2 plants. I think this will last me a year until I can grow again.

I looked at my Biibizz chart at the moment and it says to add top max at the beginning of flower, look...

20180512_183905.jpg

top max is a bloom booster which giving in growth would be confusing for the plant i guess, where does it say to give?

I looked at my Biibizz chart at the moment and it says to add top max at the beginning of flower, look...

View attachment 905418

top max is a bloom booster which giving in growth would be confusing for the plant i guess, where does it say to give?
1ml/l from the 3 week onwards is how I interpret the chart. Maybe I'm wrong in my interpretation. I'm also confused with this, as I know it serves to boost the growth of the flowers, and my plant is 4 weeks now and still just growing sticks and leaves, no flowers... I thought in auto flowers the start producing flowers in week 7 or 8?
Now I'm even more confused...

It was a photoperiod chart where 12/12 light regime beginns at week 3, depending of the grow setup autos can start flower from week 3 on.

It was a photoperiod chart where 12/12 light regime beginns at week 3, depending of the grow setup autos can start flower from week 3 on.
Yes, I read somewhere they don't have a chart for auto flowers. So you would advice to not add the top max until I see white pistils, which would indicate the beginning of flowering?

Back