Lighting Small UVB Experiment.

What if a failsafe was integrated into the light's power supply say a magnetic coupling that attaches to both sides of the tent door for example? If the effects of uvb increase potency by 10% to 25%, then it may be worth looking into, although if it is just for a greater high affect and no medicinal value is added, I would have to agree the risks are to great for the average grower.

There is absolutely no proof of that much of an increase and the cost of enough lighting is not worth the expense, then add safety equipment to it? Better off buying another grow light and good genetics

There is absolutely no proof of that much of an increase and the cost of enough lighting is not worth the expense, then add safety equipment to it? Better off buying another grow light and good genetics

That is exactly why my next 3 grows involve Sour crack, White Train, and Toof Decay. 1 of each x3 grows. I should start next year with an excellent stash of potent meds.

The visual results so far have been similar to every time I have used this bulb, heavier trichs and coverage, and quicker clouding.
An unexpected wildcard here is the purple that is showing up. I think the camera is exaggerating it and will try to reset the white balance if possible in a $20. endoscope.
255719-70acaf6d76c9a38b2fc0a19cf22fb649.jpg
BB2 Exposed to UVB

255722-7c98bf13f61705b913a13c839c5b8c4f.jpg
BB1 not exposed
Edit: The minute I carried the endo-microscope/laptop into the room, the strong lights reset the white balance. As pretty as the purple is, it is a false reading as I suspected. The real color is amber. I'll reshoot them later and repost. The scope actually has a very sophisticated Proc-Amp with adjustments for every setting.
:pass:

Last edited:
Salutations Everybody,

When i read about green vision last week the sole idea of it made me wish a warning could be stickied to these related subjects, or something similar, the thought that this entertaining activity could/might/will actually represent a risk around our favourite plant felt so alien to what it should be! But i once tried to manage without using some artificial setup, doing my modest experiments on the window-sill first, then an open structure just because i couldn't stand the vision of some enormous power-hungry bioreactor, at that point i'd almost imagine a parallel with Borg Cubes - which would be a cosy place for The Borg hive, etc... Unless all parameters heve been addressed, etc. Yet i understand the will and even the need to proceed with these heavy alternatives.

IMO preliminary evalutations could as well be performed with tomatoes to understand UV burns better, specially capacity to absorb a given level or "hard" light radiation without sustaining permanent damage. Relatively to reducing the variable factors i liked the clones idea with all things set equal except light. That sounded quite entertaining and rational. This is like music that makes me wish i could get inspired this much, which reminds me why it's so crucial to seek opportunities to acquire hands-on experience that will last a long time.

Still, please guys consider a simple safety switch to protect eyesight quality and health! We've got enough bad press from the anti-cannabic clan already... Glasses only protect while we wear them, the 1st transgression may generate some hesitation then habits install. Better include safety by design if one asks me!!

One last remark, this one about the pertinence of UV lights: do we know everything there is to discover or is there more left to find? For exemple, THC is nice but how do hard light affect terpene profiles and perhaps even more?...

Etc.

In any case i'm very pleased to observe how the discussion has developped and that's enlightening enough to want to revisit and follow eventual progress. Which is where the real fun happens i think!

Those are nice days, enjoy the fun!! :peace:

Last edited:
Welcome back Egzoset. Interesting comments. I can see you have sincere concerns and a little clearing up so we are all comparing tomatoes to tomatoes is in order.
Its probably a mistake to use The green vision and UVB together. They don't appear to be related. My experience with the green was before my UVB bulb was introduced or even out of its box.
A second point is using the term radiation burn. the only burn my leaf suffered was from actual contact with the bulb. I suspect heat transfer rather than radiation but we could both be correct, just using different terminology.

256433-abdc3a342f9841cfa78789555dbeced3.jpg
s
256432-8e9baa30b5e1f847bd9c793024a6c994.jpg

I suspect the green vision is an artifact caused from extreme dilation. Is it coincidence that it is the same color as the case of my light which i stand over instead of it being over me? I wonder if others experience other colors and if so if there is an object of that color in the immediate area?

I have ordered these. I value my sight. $40 is cheap and if they turn out to be junk I'll order others.
Snowboard Ski Goggles Double Lens 100% UV Protection Outdoor Sports Glasses
by Genssi
4 customer reviews
List Price: $39.95
Price: $18.94 & FREE Shipping
You Save: $21.01 (53%)
:pass:

Last edited:
The visual results so far have been similar to every time I have used this bulb, heavier trichs and coverage, and quicker clouding...

Hey Feenix, mind expanding on the endoscope? You're on windows right? I bought a few digital microscopes off ebay and I can't get the to work under OSx or Linux... using windows under a VM machine... what model is it? And how on earth do you manage to focus? Even when I can actualy zoom into details, I can never ever get a still shot, the lightest breezes and it's blur heaven.

Going to buy a few UVB's reptiglows. A few more Q's if you don't mind... At what stage do you turn the UVB on, eartly flower? after trich formation? Also, what distance to the bud do yu hang them?

My ABB's will sex soon, and they're natural super trich producers, so I'm stoked to see this for myself!

Sure Groff. here is a link to a similar one. I'll dig out who sold mine and post it also.

I was ebay not the zon
Hold on this is not the same box and info does not list linux. Sure its the same unit, the little icon in the screenshot is the same. But can't guarantee linux. can always share my software.that lists linux, also the driver picks up on any camera equipment so its pretty generic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-500X-2MP...731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33909af60b

I paid under $20 but this has a red button and mine is grey so I bet this is a upgrade.

It has 50 and 500x power with a 5x zoom, Pretty generic box, no brand name .Compatable with : Win 2000/2003/xp/Vista/7, and Linux, Android, IOS (Iphone & ipad,Win8, Mac

Software on minidisc has capture driver, a measurement program that I haven't gotten into yet and Microsoft Net frame 4.0 and manual.

It takes stills in Jpeg and Video in AVI.@30fps. 8 leds. There are also a couple more step ups from the same factory with the highest I saw at $70. Mine listed listed at $40.

I always started UVB at first sex, no reason other than figure it can't hurt. First trichs is probably more sensible.

Last edited:
I use my UVB in a portable hanging config to move it around the plant and get in close. its a pretty short wave length so you have to get in tight. 12 - 6 inches has been effective. 6 hours per site.

To get the clear stills I cut a piece of a sugar leaf put it on a surface and hold the unit with one hand and focus, the base is pretty useless. If you get one that is hard to turn the focus dial, its defective. It should turn smoothly with little effort. My first was too tight. (No pun intended). with the cursor already on the screen shutter I just click. The shutter button is a pain as it has a delay. That could just be my old grinder of a pc. Full screen mode is cool. just right click to bring up a menu with a shutter line.

Last edited:
Update, Over the past few days, BB1 has pulled about even with the effected section of BB2 in trich production and amount of cloudiness. But the uneffected areas of BB2 are a few days behind both. Apples to Apples, just a few days erased the UVB advantage in the production phase so far.
BB1
258355-434712b13644e748f21cad7d9c9e7f33.jpg

BB2 not exposed
258357-fd8837e9bb7c4ae3b0be474a91a45059.jpg

I discovered that the Endoscope does not like to be dropped. It went right into a black & white mode. On a hunch I restarted it and it reset itself in color. I'm even more impressed.

Attachments

• Mon May 25 10-57-43.jpg
    Mon May 25 10-57-43.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 50
Back