Lighting Small UVB Experiment.

I held back cutting the sugars for photos because of heat stress but #2 is coming nicely so I'll take samples tonight. I'm chopping #1 so she will be easier. When I got the scope I went sugar cutting crazy on a Blue Mystic and she never really delivered her final spurt. The end is a bad time to crop and expect growth.
I've been looking for a pictorial chart naming the various trichomes but no luck yet. Until then I'll let the pics speak for themselves and admit my lack of knowledge rather than fake it and prove my lack of knowledge.

Change of plan again. Pheno differences are a fact of life at this time so I'm still using #1 in the comparison and will chop #2 tonight. I'm figuring approximately 20% amber and the rest 50/50 clear/cloudy over all..I want a head buzz and I hope I didn't wait too long.
UVB Exposed side top of leaf Bottom of same leaf.
264938-7ecd77d83eb10ea50f46a858829dd9e4.jpg
264934-d24521d4ac824e64b9ca5a1ffdae6516.jpg

No UVB- Less defined trichs with less amber and cloud.
264939-1db48cb86a0d68bce5cfaedde9480252.jpg
264933-f439f6939bbc7d26b3b4f9e7b80a1c29.jpg

Sorry but I have been assigned the loving job of converting the DVD of my brothers funeral service and posting it on You-Tube so family members around the world can see it. It's almost an hour long and needs some editing so It will take a while and everything else is secondary. He was a cop in a South Pacific nation and they gave him the full treatment with all the pomp and decorum usually reserved for someone killed in the line of duty. I wish I could post it public but that wouldn't be prudent.

Both Blueberries will be in the jars on saturday and we will smoke and vape test 4 weeks later. I'll still monitor for any questions or comments but replies may be slower in coming for the next few days.
:pass:

Well, the test is over and here are the results with A= UVB , B= No UVB, C= Same as A w/no UVB
Judge 1. A=4, B=3 , C=3
Judge 2. A=4, B=2, C=4
Judge 3. A=4 B=3, C=4

Totals A=12, B=8, C=11
I smoked all over the previous week and agree that A is the more potent smoke but could see no difference between A and C.
I'll draw conclusion that;
1. UVB is beneficial to the potency.
2. That it is so by effecting the general health of the whole plant rather than individual buds.
I agree that in the 1 to 5 scale , none rated 5 and I take the blame for the problems with the grow that left them lacking. The potential is there and I have more beans.
In conclusion, as I retire my UVB bulb, I'll say that if I had a large commercial grow,I would include it and make sure that everyone involved had adequate protection based on OSHA regulations, at least. For a small personal med grow I don't think it is worth the risk.
Naturally I do not draw this conclusion from this alone, but added to what I've observed in use I'm comfortable with my opinion.

I said that I would have the buds tested if they turned out special but they didn't.

Last edited:
Great job Feenix sorry to hear about your brother, but it sounds like he was well loved!
I will do a similar test but with photo clones in two dr120 tents with a 144x5w led in each tent. Only difference will be one tent will get two 24 inch 12% uvb vho t5 bulbs on for 6 hrs during bloom only. 3 clones to each tent for a total of 6 plants. I will plant the mother bean in two months and a new thread at that time as well. Like I said, great job Feenix, may all your grows be bountiful. :slap::slap:

Thanks and Thanks Paddler. I'll watch for your test and sub up.
As Astronomy420 pointed out, the UVB is there all the time. If I did an expanded test I would put it on some of the plants from sprout to finish.

I want to give this a go too......in a 145x145 cm room, does anyone have a suggestion for a longish fixture that can be placed in the middle betweeen the other lights(LED) and what kind of wattage?

I had look around and didn't really finde anything that matched what I have in mind. I'm in Europe , so stuff from the other side of the pond is out of reach.

I wish I could help you Corgy but I have very little experience with fluorescent tubes, and even less luck. I'm not sure what spectrum "Blacklight" tubes are available in but that is where I'd start looking. I'd contact these folks:

http://www.blacklight.com/Blacklights?open&

Last edited:
I want to give this a go too......in a 145x145 cm room, does anyone have a suggestion for a longish fixture that can be placed in the middle betweeen the other lights(LED) and what kind of wattage?

I had look around and didn't really finde anything that matched what I have in mind. I'm in Europe , so stuff from the other side of the pond is out of reach.
check this out ,, this will work the light can be used the last2weeks of bloom to bring the potency up to 5%
" makes no different if you use it all thru veg & Flwr stage it stills the same result"
so you can use the lighg for a long time while with your grows,, only 2weeks at a time in the final stage of flwr.

check this out ,, this will work the light can be used the last2weeks of bloom to bring the potency up to 5%
" makes no different if you use it all thru veg & is almost Flwr stage it stills the same result"
so you can use the lighg for a long time while with your grows,, only 2weeks at a time in the final stage of flwr.

That sounds reasonable since that's when a lot of the serious and complex magic (to a layman like me) takes place. Did they mean to put "up to 5%" but meaning an added 5%? I got it. And I believe it . Trichomes , in all their shapes are so multi purpose that the remarkable chemistry at the near end is almost an afterthought.

Back