Lighting Planning for a DIY COB build

Here's an updated design.

View attachment 796366

green X = 2 slot wago
blue circle = positive lead
yellow circle = negative lead
green circle = potentiometer

I might try to add a switch where the power cable meets the driver. We'll see. I also added wagos between the lights so I could move them around without having to do any soldering if I wanted to. Let me know what ya think. Any ideas for mounting my potentiometer? Still not sure if I want to mount the driver on the light, or outside the tent, opinions?

There are plastic "project boxes" that I've used before. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and even waterproof. There are also "cable glands" you can use for insertion of the driver control wires that clamp down on the wire and create a moderate seal and help with cable retention. They're also pretty reasonably priced ($5 - $10) I have one of them coming and I'm mounting two pots inside to control both drivers.

I mounted my driver to the frame of my lights, but a lot of people have their drivers and controls located outside their grow area which I think is a great way to do it. I would have done it that way if I could have.

upload_2017-8-26_4-26-25.jpeg
upload_2017-8-26_4-39-11.jpeg

It's easy to do just follow these steps
1: Cut a hole in a box
2: Put your junk in that box
3: Make her open the box
And that's the way you do it.

...wait, those instructions might be for a different project.

The diagram looks really good. Well drawn up and great planning!

There are plastic "project boxes" that I've used before. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and even waterproof. There are also "cable glands" you can use for insertion of the driver control wires that clamp down on the wire and create a moderate seal and help with cable retention. They're also pretty reasonably priced ($5 - $10) I have one of them coming and I'm mounting two pots inside to control both drivers.

I mounted my driver to the frame of my lights, but a lot of people have their drivers and controls located outside their grow area which I think is a great way to do it. I would have done it that way if I could have.

View attachment 796492View attachment 796493

It's easy to do just follow these steps
1: Cut a hole in a box
2: Put your junk in that box
3: Make her open the box
And that's the way you do it.

...wait, those instructions might be for a different project.

The diagram looks really good. Well drawn up and great planning!
Haha. Yeah wrong project.

I'll have to checkout the project boxes. And I'm not really sure what I'm looking at in the second picture.

Sent from my red IBM Selectric

Haha. Yeah wrong project.

I'll have to checkout the project boxes. And I'm not really sure what I'm looking at in the second picture.

That's the cable gland. There are some vids about how to use them. They're generally under a dollar each, so pretty reasonable.

Got together with an old friend this weekend, had an awesome time catching up. He also let me use his workshop so we finished the frame today. Now I'm just doing the wiring. Could be up by tonight. We'll see. We ended up just bolting the frame together instead of riveting it. And I did away with the pieces in the middle from my design so I could move the lights around better.

Cheers

65c25aa8dde45146acbae7b7113a6bc8.jpg
2af6a70f0d8d9a4cdba694fa25372307.jpg
8d1db39856ee12419b7f95dc050cc03e.jpg
6daa6a3ef269ce289875b15ddc2ddf9c.jpg

I've got it all wired up, but the wire connectors I bought at home Depot are too big... I didn't even think to check when I bought them. So the project is delayed until tomorrow, unless home Depot is closed, which it probably is... Thinking about painting it but I'll probably wait until after this harvest. I'll get some pics soon.

It's coming together nicely! Good job

It's coming together nicely! Good job
Thanks man. There's still a lot I'd like to do; like painting, adding a power switch, the potentiometer. It'll all happen eventually. Any tips for how high the cobs should be?

Got the lights up and running. Still some small things that I'll get to eventually but it's working. Thanks to @BigSm0 for all the help and for the quick shipping of the cobs. Let's see what these babies can do.

Thanks to @Z_Bop as well for all your help bud!

:pass:

20170905_230545_noexif.jpg
20170905_230610_noexif.jpg

Back