Lighting Planning for a DIY COB build

The almost complete cobs are usually done in a frame. Some people as savvy as wwwillie have come up with ways to make it work without a frame. You need to figure out why your doing this too. Is it to save money or because you like to tinker. If your trying to save money it's best to calculate the costs of all parts and pieces before making any purchases. I can't tell you the amount of emails where guys have said well Jim I tried this to save xxx number of dollars and 2 days later I need another cob as my screwdriver went through it or extra wire and shipping cost. Even down to the connectors which I do recommend wagos or soldering. Personally I like to build things. DIY isn't really about saving money for me. In the end your getting something that puts out more light at half the power. The end product and its life time of use is worth a lot more than the money saved up front.

The almost complete cobs are usually done in a frame. Some people as savvy as wwwillie have come up with ways to make it work without a frame. You need to figure out why your doing this too. Is it to save money or because you like to tinker. If your trying to save money it's best to calculate the costs of all parts and pieces before making any purchases. I can't tell you the amount of emails where guys have said well Jim I tried this to save xxx number of dollars and 2 days later I need another cob as my screwdriver went through it or extra wire and shipping cost. Even down to the connectors which I do recommend wagos or soldering. Personally I like to build things. DIY isn't really about saving money for me. In the end your getting something that puts out more light at half the power. The end product and its life time of use is worth a lot more than the money saved up front.

Nah it's not about saving money. Don't really have a budget, just doing what works for me at the time. Unfortunately, stealth is still a big issue + the lack of tools at the moment not to mention lack of a good working space to build a frame. I'm also not 100% sure of what configuration I/the plants like so I'd like to be able to move the cobs around and possibly even try mixing spectrums with the blurple. The frame will eventually get done when the time is right.

Edit: I guess I should mention I'm in a basement apartment with my landlord upstairs, hence the need for stealth.

Here's the list of parts so far besides the 3-4 cobs and the driver.

1)3X 10ft - 3 different colour 18 gauge stranded wire (might be more than I need but just in case)
2)3X 2 slot wago connector
3)3X 3 slot wago connector(again might be more than I need but I like to be prepared)
4)Heat sleeves
5)1X 100k linear taper potentiometer
6)1X rocker switch
7)1X end of power cable
8)~15ft angled aluminum (need to figure out how to cut and assemble the aluminum; I'm more of a woodworking kind of guy)
Can't find my soldering iron so:
9)1X soldering iron + accessories

Anything else anyone can think of or that I missed?

Last edited:

1)3X 10ft - 3 different colour 18 gauge stranded wire (might be more than I need but just in case)
3)3X 3 slot wago connector(again might be more than I need but I like to be prepared)
4)Heat sleeves
6)1X rocker switch
7)1X end of power cable
8)~15ft angled aluminum (need to figure out how to cut and assemble the aluminum; I'm more of a woodworking kind of guy)

Is thermal interface material (TIM, grease or stick on) in there somewhere that my eyes passed over? COB holders? Reflectors (if you're going that route)?

I may be behind in the thread because I can't seem to see all the responses or what you decided to go with.

Is thermal interface material (TIM, grease or stick on) in there somewhere that my eyes passed over? COB holders? Reflectors (if you're going that route)?

I may be behind in the thread because I can't seem to see all the responses or what you decided to go with.
Hey bud. So far I'm leaning a lot towards the almost complete cobs so the heatsink, TIM, cob holder are all already there... I think, unless I read the info wrong. For reflectors, I'm going to wait to see how the lights perform before I purchase any.

Sent from my red IBM Selectric

4)Heat sleeves
6)1X rocker switch
7)1X end of power cable

Oh, for cutting the angled aluminum you can use a 60+ tooth chop saw blade to cut it and a metal file to de-burr.

Thanks man. Any particular material for the saw blade or any 60+ will work?

Sent from my red IBM Selectric

I just used a finish blade in my chop saw.

85328e0e35bee63844fd4554e3739f7e.jpg

Back