Lighting Planning for a DIY COB build

Hey guys. As the title says, I'm planning for a DIY COB build. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to COBs, but I've been trying to do a little research. I'm basically looking for suggestions for my space right now. I have no components picked so feel free to throw out any suggestions. I have a 4x2x5 tent. Right now I have a Mars LED lighting one half and I'd like to set up cobs for the other half, so basically I need to fill a 2x2 space. I was thinking about doing 4 COBs running at a lower amperage for good coverage and penetration. I'm thinking a dimmable driver might be nice. The plan is also to eventually replace the Mars with more COBs when the time is right. Thoughts on reflectors (pros/cons)? The 4 COBs are just an idea, if you have suggestions for a different set up, let me know (and why). All suggestions are appreciated.

@BigSm0 @pop22 @Slater

Cheers
4 cobs will light your whole tent

Last edited:
Cool cool. A hip cat eh? I feel honored haha. I just had me some Nebula, flyin pretty high myself.

I was thinking of getting 3 of the almost complete cobs from the cobshop. Seems like the least amount of fuss. Dont have many tools and need to keep noise to a minimum anyway. I'll eventually pick up some aluminum for a frame but I think I'll just hang em as is for now. Need to figure out my driver now. Should probably dig out my old soldering iron.

So many projects, so little time.

Sent from my red IBM Selectric
3 of those and a driver will too
I think he uses the 1812 chip, great lighting

Hlg-240-1050 constant current will run 3 cobs and can also upgrade to 4 later on. It's not a cheap driver though. I agree on the reflectors. It's best to learn their real power before adding them. If you want more light it's a simple thing to add. I highly doubt you will feel that need.

Hlg-240-1050 constant current will run 3 cobs and can also upgrade to 4 later on. It's not a cheap driver though. I agree on the reflectors. It's best to learn their real power before adding them. If you want more light it's a simple thing to add. I highly doubt you will feel that need.
Thanks buddy, I'll check that out

Hey guys. As the title says, I'm planning for a DIY COB build. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to COBs, but I've been trying to do a little research. I'm basically looking for suggestions for my space right now. I have no components picked so feel free to throw out any suggestions. I have a 4x2x5 tent. Right now I have a Mars LED lighting one half and I'd like to set up cobs for the other half, so basically I need to fill a 2x2 space. I was thinking about doing 4 COBs running at a lower amperage for good coverage and penetration. I'm thinking a dimmable driver might be nice. The plan is also to eventually replace the Mars with more COBs when the time is right. Thoughts on reflectors (pros/cons)? The 4 COBs are just an idea, if you have suggestions for a different set up, let me know (and why). All suggestions are appreciated.

@BigSm0 @pop22 @Slater

Cheers

cool... I would go with 4 x cobs for the tent at 1400ma. If you can afford it go with the vero's... another set up could be 8 cobs at 1050ma (one cob per square foot). I'm going with reflectors on my next build, just waiting for my mate to come back off his holidays as he is the VP for company I'm getting my reflectors from.... whoop whoop 1/3 off all products.

cool... I would go with 4 x cobs for the tent at 1400ma. If you can afford it go with the vero's... another set up could be 8 cobs at 1050ma (one cob per square foot). I'm going with reflectors on my next build, just waiting for my mate to come back off his holidays as he is the VP for company I'm getting my reflectors from.... whoop whoop 1/3 off all products.
The 8 cobs was essentially my initial idea, but now I'm not sure. Think I'm going to start with the three and see how that does. The wife and my wallet will appreciate that as well. I'll definitely check out the veros. The less tools I need to use, the better for me, right now. Pretty sweet deal for those reflectors.

Edit: Thanks for your suggestions by the way. Still have lots to think about.

I'm running 3 on my 240-1050....And I just bought another one earlier today from Arrow with free overnight shipping. Hey Big, so Angelina 90° are in stock? BJBs too? And would you sell a couple heatsinks? Need 3 BJBs, 6 reflectors and 2 heatsinks. What would all that run with shipping? Thanks aye.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The 8 cobs was essentially my initial idea, but now I'm not sure. Think I'm going to start with the three and see how that does. The wife and my wallet will appreciate that as well. I'll definitely check out the veros. The less tools I need to use, the better for me, right now. Pretty sweet deal for those reflectors.

Edit: Thanks for your suggestions by the way. Still have lots to think about.

are you still planning to add one of your burple's in... I would, with a mixed spectrum you should see some great results

Hey!
How goes the project? Like @Dr.Bubbles I am a fan of the partially built autocobs from cobshop.net. I used four of them in a 4x4 tent and they are plenty! I may add one more for the center so I can spread the four out a bit during flower. I am using the Meanwell 240-1050 b as have been recommended here. Love the setup and the ease of building them. I'll see if I can find some pictures for you.

Back