Mephisto Genetics Organic & DWC with a side of COBs - 4 Mephisto strains

8 Cobs running 50 watts each in a 4x4 is a lot more light than you think. I have 5 cobs running 55W each in a 4x4 and it is more than enough light. Personally I wouldn't try to run that much light and trying DWC will be harder. Your water temps need to stay in check or you will have issues rather quickly. I would buy a bigger tent to run all those lights or not use all in a 4x4. More is not always better.

One of the best things about maxing out the O2 is that you can run much higher rez temps(I have never had an issue with root rot or and rootzone issues) mine have run into the 80's before with no issues. Also with the increase oxygen that is available to the roots you can almost not have too much light, the plant will use it when all of the other growth variables are optimized as well.

@MoreBerry That is perfect my dude, you should have about 10lpm per gallon. If you are over you will be ok as long as the air is diffused enough and with 6 stones you should be golden. Also you are only going to grow one plant in this site right?

Just ordered more stones and a 793GPH pump. So I should be running around 75LPM total, between the two pumps. I will have 6 air stones and the rez water is between 5 gallons and 7 gallons, because I have a 5inch net pot and it drops down pretty far... Next grow I will use smaller net pots, I think.

Plant Update!

I have started germinating another Heisenberg Special today. Hopefully she will be in soil soon!
The rest of the children are just doing their thing! All three are looking good. The entire tent is above soil now. I am just providing some light RO water mistings to keep things humid

The MBAP is getting extra mistings until the root reach my rez water line. I will be feeding it with low ppm AN Nutes soon. :)

Oh and you do not need to worry about feeding until about 10 days after sprout, the seedling has enough nutes in the cotyledon to last around 2 weeks in soil and generally I see it be about 10 days in a good DWC setup. The plant isn't able to use the nutes until that time anyway so it is just a waste of nutes and buildup of salts in your rez. : )

One of the best things about maxing out the O2 is that you can run much higher rez temps(I have never had an issue with root rot or and rootzone issues) mine have run into the 80's before with no issues. Also with the increase oxygen that is available to the roots you can almost not have too much light, the plant will use it when all of the other growth variables are optimized as well.

@MoreBerry That is perfect my dude, you should have about 10lpm per gallon. If you are over you will be ok as long as the air is diffused enough and with 6 stones you should be golden. Also you are only going to grow one plant in this site right?
Proper temps are the single most important factor in successful growing in hydro. Sure Max oxygen can keep root rot at bay, but growing in hydro is all about being dialed in for best results. You are playing with fire if your temps are consistently in the 80's. I have been growing for over 20 years, the first 8 were DWC. Derek is right about Max oxygen, but if you have a single problem with a pump or excessive temps for a single day you could ruin your crop. Sure you can run 600 watts of cobs in a 4x4...but for any decent grower 200-300 is plenty in that amount of space. Many times the buds directly under the cobs are not the best on the plant. I have a Sour Stomper that is in between cobs and it is EXTREMELY FROSTY and just as or more healthy than the ones directly under the lights. Cobs are different, less is more sometimes. I have multiple gardens, some with cobs, some with 600 watt HPS and some with 1000 watt HPS. My cobs are further away from plants under HPS. I see no point in trying to cram all of that light in a 4x4. There is a point of diminishing returns, you are just adding more heat really and wasting energy. Buy a bigger tent if you have the space. You will yield more and you can do more plants if you want to. Good luck

Proper temps are the single most important factor in successful growing in hydro. Sure Max oxygen can keep root rot at bay, but growing in hydro is all about being dialed in for best results. You are playing with fire if your temps are consistently in the 80's. I have been growing for over 20 years, the first 8 were DWC. Derek is right about Max oxygen, but if you have a single problem with a pump or excessive temps for a single day you could ruin your crop. Sure you can run 600 watts of cobs in a 4x4...but for any decent grower 200-300 is plenty in that amount of space. Many times the buds directly under the cobs are not the best on the plant. I have a Sour Stomper that is in between cobs and it is EXTREMELY FROSTY and just as or more healthy than the ones directly under the lights. Cobs are different, less is more sometimes. I have multiple gardens, some with cobs, some with 600 watt HPS and some with 1000 watt HPS. My cobs are further away from plants under HPS. I see no point in trying to cram all of that light in a 4x4. There is a point of diminishing returns, you are just adding more heat really and wasting energy. Buy a bigger tent if you have the space. You will yield more and you can do more plants if you want to. Good luck

There are several here that have tested this theory to be true and there to be a direct correlation in the relationship between pythium and increase O2, there is simply not enough water that is still to have the root rot take hold. @HotBunz grows some of the best DWC around and his temps get crazy high, I can assure you that temperature rapidly decreases in importance when you add much more air, the only reason you really want the temps low is to prevent root rot. There is really no adverse affects to having your rez water be in the 80's as long as there is no threat of pythium. There is a slight difference in pH at different temps but it is negligible, and if using advanced nutes it doesn't matter anyway.

One thing @slowandeasy is completely right about though is that things happen much faster in DWC than in say soil, so if something fails you have less time to fix it. But that is also one of the reasons I love growin in DWC, because problems get fixed so much faster. In soil if I have a deficiency it can be days even a week or more to see if I remedied the problem, in DWC usually in 8 hours I can tell if I have made the right move and if not guess what dump the res and start anew(something that is MUCH harder to do if at all possible with soil) But this is just a paradigm thing, I am in no way bashing on SlowandEasy, just sayin that then things I say about DWC and air are based in lots of empirical data and hands on experimentation over the last 10 years or so exclusively. Lol I am different SandE I went the opposite way I grew my first couple of times in soil then went to DWC and never went back. Right now this is the first time since probably 2005 or so that I have actually grown in soil

I have personally never seen a single day ruin a crop unless there is something realllllllly wrong, like a fire. A pump going out is something that probably wont happen, these eco air's run forever. If it did you have two and your plant will not die while you get a fix. I can assure you this @MoreBerry you have the backing of some real pros who love growing more than anything in life just about, we are not going to let your plant die. Conversely we are going to help you grow one of the biggest baddest, frostiest autos ever. Have faith my friend, we will guide you to the promised land.

Also one thing to keep in mind @slowandeasy is that you made mention in your response that "but for any decent grower 200-300 is plenty in that amount of space" and this dude has a 10 galloon rez trying to grow a monster. With all due respect we are not just decent growers here, I have my degree in botany and a over decade of practical experience, I am one of the best cannabis growers on the planet. So with that being said, if you are trying to do something extraordinary, out of the box and above the fray, you have to think that way. One of the biggest things I see with what I am tryin to accomplish(establishing the commercial viability of autoflowering cannabis), is that we bushy ole growers are very set in our ways and sometimes it takes damn near divine intervention for us to change our way of thinking that something we have been doing or done for a long time successfully can be improved upon. Trying to convince commercial photoperiod growers this is the way to grow is tough, but it does not deter me. I know what I know lol.

@MoreBerry we got your back my dude, you have already made the investment in time, money and effort. We wont let cha fail

I harvest weekly and have multiple gardens. I use 100% Coco, it is better than hydro. I have 20 years of growing experience. Please don't act like you are better than me. You seem to tout your degree a lot. A real botonist and hydro grower would tell any fellow grower to fix their environment before anything else. And my point was that 600 watts of cobs is excessive in a 4x4. 300 watts is plenty for any grower, a good grower such as yourself shouldn't need anymore. Growing monster plants is not hard to do with 10 gal Rez. I grow huge plants in 2 gal of Coco. 10 gal of Coco would grow a monster plant without hydro maintenance or worries. More than one way to skin a cat. Maybe you should try Coco sometime, I add air to it too.

I harvest weekly and have multiple gardens. I use 100% Coco, it is better than hydro. I have 20 years of growing experience. Please don't act like you are better than me. You seem to tout your degree a lot. A real botonist and hydro grower would tell any fellow grower to fix their environment before anything else. And my point was that 600 watts of cobs is excessive in a 4x4. 300 watts is plenty for any grower, a good grower such as yourself shouldn't need anymore. Growing monster plants is not hard to do with 10 gal Rez. I grow huge plants in 2 gal of Coco. 10 gal of Coco would grow a monster plant without hydro maintenance or worries. More than one way to skin a cat. Maybe you should try Coco sometime, I add air to it too.

Definitely not sayin I am better than you or anyone, my apologies. But we should not engage in debate on someone else's thread as that is rude on both of our parts. Sorry @MoreBerry

@slowandeasy if you would like to continue our discussion we can do it in my thread or via PM if you would like. I definitely understand that there is more than one way to grow, and I am not saying that mine is superior in any way. Moreberry was already planning on doing this so I am helping him with what he was trying to do already. Lets try to keep the discussion in a helpful positive manner with a grower who is trying something new, cheers and happy growing friend

Definitely not sayin I am better than you or anyone, my apologies. But we should not engage in debate on someone else's thread as that is rude on both of our parts. Sorry @MoreBerry

@slowandeasy if you would like to continue our discussion we can do it in my thread or via PM if you would like. I definitely understand that there is more than one way to grow, and I am not saying that mine is superior in any way. Moreberry was already planning on doing this so I am helping him with what he was trying to do already. Lets try to keep the discussion in a helpful positive manner with a grower who is trying something new, cheers and happy growing friend
No debate Mate...I will PM ya. Good luck Moreberry

Hey guys, just to be clear, I am welcoming all advice on Coco and Hydro. I am running both coco and hydro here and I have A LOT to learn about those styles of growing.

As far as the lighting, please re-read my first post. I am currently running 400 watts of COBs. The PPFD of this setup is slightly less than what a nice 600 watt HID would put out. With my extra lights, I am putting out more photons than a 600 watt HID. I am not in the 1000 watt HID territory, which most would consider to be the max for a 4x4 without CO2. I have chosen to go this route for a number of reason, including cost, space, and efficiency. I do not have the time or space to add in another tent, so I am making this tent run as efficiently as possible.

If you do not consider a 600 watt HID fixture overkill, then my setup is not overkill. It is very close to equivalent in terms of actual photon output. It also puts out much less heat when compared to a 600 watt HID fixture. It is 80 degrees in my house and my tent stays at 80 right now. :)

I have never struggled with maintaining temperature, my struggle is maintaining humidity during the seedling stage.

My hydroponics setup is definitely overkill for an autoflower, but that was an intentional and calculated decision. I wanted to be able to grow plants as large as I wanted :)

Outside of posts made by @derek420colorado , I cannot recall ever reading anyone using a 50LPM pump for 5-7 gallons of water. Most people consider the pump that I have more than enough... But I want to go crazy with the hydro setup and Derek has proven himself, so I went ahead and took his advice. :pass:

I do know that I might struggle with my rez temps, but if I completely fail on hydro, I will just build my own thermoelectric cooler. I have plenty of seeds and plenty of weed, so I am not too worried about failure :headbang:

Last edited:
Oh yeah... speaking of SUPER FROSTY Sour Stomper, inbetween COBs... Here is what I am smoking today :vibe::vibe::vibe:
SS1-0743.jpg

Oh yeah... speaking of SUPER FROSTY Sour Stomper, inbetween COBs... Here is what I am smoking today :vibe::vibe::vibe:
View attachment 753383

Hell yeah bro! That SS nug looks uuuuber dank my dude. And I promise we will not let you fail, if u do I will reimburse you for any costs associated with this grow. I am very confident in my methodology and techniques. We got cha my dude!

Back