Grow Mediums One waterfarm, 2 autocobs, and a 150hps. Double Grape!

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Jack Herer
I must be a glutton for punishment. After a grow in the closet of our RV, that cost me what's left of my hair, I decided to up the ante a bit, and have a go at it with my old friend, the waterfarm, and some Mephisto Double Grape.
This time I am set up in a 3x3 tent, with two shiny new Autocobs, and my trusty 150HPS (keeps the temps up at night).
I insulated the waterfarm with reflectix, and drilled out the holes in the grow bucket to 3/8". I also added a ring of 1/4" soaker hose for extra air in the res, and dropped in a temp probe, while I was at it.
Seed sprouted in paper towel, in about 24 hours, and was tucked in to a rapid rooter in a dome for two days.
Transplanted to the waterfarm yesterday, with RO water, and 2ml each of GH Flora G/M/B, and Calimagic. PPM is right at 200, and all seems well, so far.
PH was set to 5.8, and, as expected, jumped up to 7 overnight.
I have noticed that the first couple weeks in most hydro setups are spent dumping acid in the res. Once nutrient concentration comes up, it remains relatively stable. This is my first RO hydro grow, so it will be interesting to see if that holds true this time.
Anyway, here's a pic of the little girl. Hope she grows up to be fat and smelly!
Thanks for looking, suggestions always welcome.
Kyle
IMG_20180130_171714993.jpg

Cool! Looking good!

I'm subbed up bro!

Keep an eye on that pH!

Glad you could drop in. I'll adjust PH once a day. Set to 5ish, and let it rise. I used to chase 5.8 religiously, but learned to let it swing through the whole range before adjusting. 7 is too high, so it will be nice when she can take a proper feeding, and stops the big swing routine!
Regards, Kyle

Whoops, guess I fucked up the quote somehow. Haha. Takes more brains to make a successful post than it does to grow a plant. Go figure!

Day 5 update
Changed the solution, and cleaned the last (I hope) of the Hydroton residue out of the res.
2.5ml G/M/B per gallon, and 3.5ml Calimagic. PH set to 5.25, and away we go.
Room and water temps are good, with the air ranging from a low of 72f, to a high of 79f. Water goes from 66f to 69f, as the day heats up. Humidity is a challenge here, with RH hovering at 20%, the best I can do, even with a humidifier in the tent, is about 35%. It is what it is.
A bit of a floppy stem on her, she does lean a bit, but I am hopeful that will firm up soon.
Being new to Cobs, I am keeping two of them, and my 150HPS 36" above the seedling. Too high? Hit me up with your opinion on that. I don't want her to stretch, but I don't want to cook it, either.
Thanks for looking. So far, so good.
Regards, Kyle
IMG_20180201_213736238.jpg

Hit her with a very light breeze to avoid stretch, will firm her up a bit also.

You can do a hand water with your res nutes occasionally, this will help with humidity as the wet Clay balls will allow some evap and even assist in stabilizing pH (the Clay is probably the reason you are seeing a rise)

Looking good tho, try a wet towel also and even dial back any extraction you have going.

f6

Hit her with a very light breeze to avoid stretch, will firm her up a bit also.

You can do a hand water with your res nutes occasionally, this will help with humidity as the wet Clay balls will allow some evap and even assist in stabilizing pH (the Clay is probably the reason you are seeing a rise)

Looking good tho, try a wet towel also and even dial back any extraction you have going.

f6

Good points. I have to use the extraction fan to control temp, unfortunately, otherwise I wouldn't be running it at all, at this stage of the game. I did make sure I have a light breeze across the seedling, just a flutter.
Growing in a fifth wheel is a real mutha. Temp and humidity change very rapidly, compared to a house. It is a fun challenge, though!
Stay tuned, this first couple weeks is always boring. Kinda like watching the grass grow, so to speak. Once the roots hit the water, I expect the fun will begin. I'll be giving her the LST treatment, with the hope of a nice, even canopy. Time will tell!
Regards, Kyle

Yip! Wonderful things autoflower's !

Enjoy the growth etc, it can be pretty amazing to see first time around after photos hehe

f6

Back