Lighting Not getting much frost

According to Mel Frank's book "Marijuana Grower's Insider Guide" (p 309) there is little correlation between "frostiness" and potency.
High CBD, low thc plants might look very frosty but won't be thc potent.

I read the big factor for THC potency is when you harvest (cloudy trichhomes). But if you have lots of trichomes all over the plant matter including fan leaves, and you wait until they are ready, all the better. Lots of potent bubble hash from trim. So I think there is a correlation between frostiness and how much usable THC you get from a plant. Based on the non factual stuff I've read on the net.

Not following what you mean. What type of light were u using when this happened? cob? HID?
They were cree cobs, I can’t say which company unfortunately. What’s more important to me is it’s not the company or light but the wattages. It was to much. It’s taken a lot of growing to realize this.

Trichomes are the one and only reason we are all here. Trichs contain all the terpenes (smells and taste) and all the cannaboids cbd, thc,v-a etc. There is virtually none of either in the calyx or the green leaf of the flowers. They protect the plant from insects, animals and the sun.
Have you ever seen a none frosty plant thats pushing 30% thc or more? No and you're not going to.
31 years of growing tells me its all up to the strain. Youre not going to make a none frosty plant frosty be playing with its environment. It must be in the genetics for them to be frosty. Playing with their environment can and will enhance trichome production like adding uvb.
Personally from my experience i believe leds/cobs make for frostier plants vs hps.
IMG_20171219_222700_124.jpg

Trichomes are the one and only reason we are all here. Trichs contain all the terpenes (smells and taste) and all the cannaboids cbd, thc,v-a etc. There is virtually none of either in the calyx or the green leaf of the flowers. They protect the plant from insects, animals and the sun.
Have you ever seen a none frosty plant thats pushing 30% thc or more? No and you're not going to.
31 years of growing tells me its all up to the strain. Youre not going to make a none frosty plant frosty be playing with its environment. It must be in the genetics for them to be frosty. Playing with their environment can and will enhance trichome production like adding uvb.
Personally from my experience i believe leds/cobs make for frostier plants vs hps.
View attachment 883573

Than the man himself puts it to rest. Thanks for the info. Have you noticed any increase with the uv?

View attachment 883573

But if you have great frosty genetics (good name for a breeder) but the environment isn't ideal then you won't get as much frost right? You might even get very little frost if you have a few things wrong with the environment.

And lets say you have frost genetics and good environment and life is good, but then you add something like UVB on top of lets say COB lights, would you not get even more and possibly better frost?

I would try taking the hps out and going with just the cobs for a grow. 1 cob on a double grape will give you 4 plants worth of frost alone. Plus a few oz’s. Set one plant aside and try cob only. I think you’ll be very surprised.

Back