Harvest & Curing No Burping Required?

For "long term storage," what is your or Boveda's view of the value of also adding oxygen removal packets to herb sealed with Boveda packs?

Has Boveda sponsored or do you know of any actual studies of moisture content related to curing or cannabis quality, such as comparing long-term storage in Bovedas in the 50%-70% RH range in terms of THC and/or terpene levels; end-user ratings of curing; or other parameters?
I'm not sure about the oxygen removal packets but here's an article about terpene retention. It references a study that was done at an outside lab.
https://bovedainc.com/boveda-prevents-terpenes-loss/

Well...I'm the next Boveda guinea pig.
I harvested yesterday and put my buds in quart mason jars with a hygrometer and a 62% boveda pack each. I waited a couple of hours and then checked them; the popcorn was drier than the main buds, it was sitting nicely at 62% but the jars of bigger buds were climbing to 70%. One got to 72% so I opened the 70% jars for an hour and then closed them back up.

This morning I checked and all the jars are at between 62% and 70%.

I'm just going to burp them once a day for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm not a pro...this is my first harvest.

Well...I'm the next Boveda guinea pig.
I harvested yesterday and put my buds in quart mason jars with a hygrometer and a 62% boveda pack each. I waited a couple of hours and then checked them; the popcorn was drier than the main buds, it was sitting nicely at 62% but the jars of bigger buds were climbing to 70%. One got to 72% so I opened the 70% jars for an hour and then closed them back up.

This morning I checked and all the jars are at between 62% and 70%.

I'm just going to burp them once a day for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm not a pro...this is my first harvest.
Didn’t dry them at all just cut trim and straight into the jar??

Didn’t dry them at all just cut trim and straight into the jar??

You must dry first since the Boveda pack itself wouldn't have the capacity to absorb all of the moisture in the bud. So dry to a snap or until a test branch in an airtight container with an hygrometer reads about 65% or lower. Over-drying will lead to terpene loss which is why I'm going to buy an hygrometer to custom really fine point my cure. Then cure as normal with Boveda. As you likely read, this thread debates the need to burp with Boveda. The consensus is that to each their own :) I'm here to help in any other way!

Boveda just came out with an hygrometer that you sync up with an app on your phone to track temp and humidity remotely. It's called the Boveda Butler.

www.bovedabutler.com :)

-Dianna

You must dry first since the Boveda pack itself wouldn't have the capacity to absorb all of the moisture in the bud. So dry to a snap or until a test branch in an airtight container with an hygrometer reads about 65% or lower. Over-drying will lead to terpene loss which is why I'm going to buy an hygrometer to custom really fine point my cure. Then cure as normal with Boveda. As you likely read, this thread debates the need to burp with Boveda. The consensus is that to each their own :) I'm here to help in any other way!

Boveda just came out with an hygrometer that you sync up with an app on your phone to track temp and humidity remotely. It's called the Boveda Butler.

-Dianna
Yes this I know. I replied to a fellow who had his first harvest and the next day into the jars with Boveda packs. Perhaps if u mention to him he will likely take your word better. I hope
He meant dry. I find when the small branches snap when bent is ready for the jars. I need some more hygrometers I only have one but move it around. When I have a bunch of jars I use some 62% for the ones going in the cabinet and the ones going in my daily grab box get 58%. My dry usually takes minimum 7 days but usually 10-12 days. Faster in the winter for me and slower in the summer.
Edit looks like he harvested and went straight into the jars.

-Dianna
No way. Thats very cool.

-Dianna
Wow, just saw these and a five pack is going into my stocking. Will be so nice to see the stats of five containers without touching them all on one app. Do you have any holiday specials going on right now?

Just didn’t want to see your first harvest go bad. I’ve lost a jar to mold in the past it sucks.
No problem!
FWIW: I'm still burping and probably another two weeks or more of burping is planned. The really bad chlorophyll smell is gone but it still lingers some. (and no mold so far but then my buds are too airy so I didn't expect any mold.)

Back