Harvest & Curing No Burping Required?

G,Day All, When using Boveda packs does the temperature at which you store the jars in, closet, basement,etc have any effect on the moisture exchange ? I have asked another manufacturer, "Integra" this same question and have had no answer yet. I have found storing my bud (in mason jars ) at lower temps, with Integra packs, ( approx 5degC ,41degF ) the bud just keeps on drying out ! Is there an optimum ambient temperature range that these packs work best within ?

Hi there! Banjo is correct in that Boost & Boveda are different technologies. Boost uses vegetable glycerin while Boveda uses Salt & pure water vapor to create a natural equilibrium point that effects the humidity in the air around it. Temperature may have something to do with it in extreme cases, but possibly not as much with Boveda due to the salt.

G,Day, HemiSync, Thankyou for your input it is much appreciated. The Boveda and Integra packs may be different in their contents,but essentially they do the same job ? I can see why people are staunch supporters of Boveda, simply put they have been around a lot longer in the cannabis scene. A little something for you to ponder. According to ( www.batco.com ) An evaluation of volatile organic compound emission levels associated with integra boost 62%rh and Boveda 62%rh 2 way humidity control humectants on January 25th 2017. Result, Integra boost 62%rh, Acetone, Non-detected. Boveda 62% a significant amount ,Acetone-9.8 (ug/L). Conclusion: Boveda 62%rh produces a significant amount of acetone as a by product compared to Integra boost 62%rh which was Non-detected ( <1.0ug/L). Additionally, the Boveda product continued to off-gas giving a concentration of (13.11 ug/L) at 18 hours. Might this be why SOME growers think that Boveda affects the taste, smell,and terpines ? Personally, i dont know that is why i am here asking questions.But, back to the original question. Does the ambient temperature that we store our jars in effect the moisture exchange of these packs ? Please refer to my original post. Thankyou.

G,Day, Mr Boveda. Greetings from Australia. Maybe you could answer my question ? Extremes of temperature ? could you tell me in relation to YOUR product, what those extremes are ? Thankyou.

Acetone generation associated with Boveda? It's either possible, in the chemistry, or not. Hopefully, the company rep can clear this up.

If any acetone or other volatile organics are formed during long-term storage, whether with or without Bovedas, that's a good reason to burp the container (here addressing the original question/topic).

But are such trivially low concentrations of acetone (few millions of a gram in a full Liter) a problem at all? Acetone is a common metabolic by-product. What's being detected could just be from plant material fermentation/breakdown; and this could even be a desired or essential part of curing. I also recall acetone is a natural byproduct with human metabolism. It's natural, even expected, so some traces of acetone wouldn't bother me - just burp the container if it's a concern or problem, such as adds undesired smell.

G,Day, HemiSync, Thankyou for your input it is much appreciated. The Boveda and Integra packs may be different in their contents,but essentially they do the same job ? I can see why people are staunch supporters of Boveda, simply put they have been around a lot longer in the cannabis scene. A little something for you to ponder. According to ( www.batco.com ) An evaluation of volatile organic compound emission levels associated with integra boost 62%rh and Boveda 62%rh 2 way humidity control humectants on January 25th 2017. Result, Integra boost 62%rh, Acetone, Non-detected. Boveda 62% a significant amount ,Acetone-9.8 (ug/L). Conclusion: Boveda 62%rh produces a significant amount of acetone as a by product compared to Integra boost 62%rh which was Non-detected ( <1.0ug/L). Additionally, the Boveda product continued to off-gas giving a concentration of (13.11 ug/L) at 18 hours. Might this be why SOME growers think that Boveda affects the taste, smell,and terpines ? Personally, i dont know that is why i am here asking questions.But, back to the original question. Does the ambient temperature that we store our jars in effect the moisture exchange of these packs ? Please refer to my original post. Thankyou.
Sorry if I didn’t get to your original question but was just trying to give you some info on what my conditions were and how I used humidity packs.

As for the acetone baloney, Boveda answered this awhile ago and here is their response.
https://bovedainc.com/acetone-report-response/

G,Day, B11. Thankyou for your input to this discussion. I have no idea what amount of Acetone would be considered high or low, or whether it would be a problem in the concentrations as stated in the research, so i cant help you with that question. As you say, maybe the Boveda rep can enlighten us on that topic as well as my original question. Thanks again....

G,Day, B11. Thankyou for your input to this discussion. I have no idea what amount of Acetone would be considered high or low, or whether it would be a problem in the concentrations as stated in the research, so i cant help you with that question. As you say, maybe the Boveda rep can enlighten us on that topic as well as my original question. Thanks again....
They already did...did you read the information in the link posted?

G,Day HemiSync, I am very much interested in your conditions and how you store your bud. Especially the ambient temperature (15.6degC), i would love to have your bud cellar.The Iron Oxide packs sound interesting, i too am interested in those results in a few months time. Hopefully, our Bovida rep may be able to help me with my original question. Is there an optimal ambient temperature range that the Boveda packs work best within ?

Hey there! We have a response to that report.

https://bovedainc.com/acetone-report-response/

Back