Harvest & Curing No Burping Required?

Interesting thread. I’ll be watching and waiting for your results.

I’ve done the 2 week cure/burp until 62-65%, throw a boveda 62 in, and then vacuum seal a 1L or 500ml wide mouth mason jar with food saver. I really like this method. Great results every time.
When I vacuum sealed the one jar, I also threw in an oxygen eater and that should remove any remaining oxygen that that food saver missed.

Hello friends! I've reached out to my Boveda peeps and we all agree that Boveda fine-tunes your curing process but can also be used subjectively. Some people burp to release some off-gassing of the chlorophyll while others don't. Some people don't add Boveda til 2nd week of cure.

Personally, I still burp --even if it's only to steal a bud to try. Old habits are hard to break :)
Control of relative humidity in closed containers, pulling humidity from the air, is just that. Curing involves actual changes in the plant material.

Yes, in my view, using the Boveda packs obviously well controls humidity of the air in containers. But they doesn't absorb or do anything with the many diverse objectionable odors/off-gassing from fungal, bacterial and chemical breakdown of chlorophyll and other pigments, proteins, carbohydrates, nucleic acids - all the functional stuff remaining in every plant cell. This breakdown is what curing is all about, with moisture content control just part of providing needed environmental conditions to support this. So in my view, burping to vent pent-up gasses/vapors is good.

Control of relative humidity in closed containers, pulling humidity from the air, is just that. Curing involves actual changes in the plant material.

Yes, in my view, using the Boveda packs obviously well controls humidity of the air in containers. But they doesn't absorb or do anything with the many diverse objectionable odors/off-gassing from fungal, bacterial and chemical breakdown of chlorophyll and other pigments, proteins, carbohydrates, nucleic acids - all the functional stuff remaining in every plant cell. This breakdown is what curing is all about, with moisture content control just part of providing needed environmental conditions to support this. So in my view, burping to vent pent-up gasses/vapors is good.

In your opinion..... when can you stop burping and place in long term storage?

When I vacuum sealed the one jar, I also threw in an oxygen eater and that should remove any remaining oxygen that that food saver missed.

Where do you find oxygen eaters? I’ve never heard of them

In your opinion..... when can you stop burping and place in long term storage?
However long "long term storage" is, I simply would not stop burping, I'd continue the curing or at least the airing of the containers (assuming that getting rid of the sealed-up stale air can only be good).

If you are really asking when you could totally stop burping, I'd say stop when you think the contents are fully cured, at their best. Then do the "long term storage," something to preserve the material (generally halting curing). For real "long term storage," years, you are going to have to do something extreme, such as freezing, maybe combined with oxygen removal.

However long "long term storage" is, I simply would not stop burping, I'd continue the curing or at least the airing of the containers (assuming that getting rid of the sealed-up stale air can only be good).

If you are really asking when you could totally stop burping, I'd say stop when you think the contents are fully cured, at their best. Then do the "long term storage," something to preserve the material (generally halting curing). For real "long term storage," years, you are going to have to do something extreme, such as freezing, maybe combined with oxygen removal.

I was thinking long term for me would be 1-2 years. Depends on amount of harvest, friends, consumptoin etc.

I feel like if the cure has been going for 1-2 months, with a stable 62-65% RH, then a vacuum sealed jar would be a pretty good method for preservation. I need to find out about these oxygen eaters from @HemiSync.

We shall see what the findings of this experiment are!

I was thinking long term for me would be 1-2 years. Depends on amount of harvest, friends, consumptoin etc.

I feel like if the cure has been going for 1-2 months, with a stable 62-65% RH, then a vacuum sealed jar would be a pretty good method for preservation. I need to find out about these oxygen eaters from @HemiSync.

We shall see what the findings of this experiment are!
I have stored cannabis in vacuum sealed jars for 2 years with no refrigeration, after the cure, with no adverse affects. Buds taste/smell as good or better than when first sealed up. I do store my jars in a fruit cellar which never gets above 60°F. If I plan on storing longer I will freeze the buds. Only issue with this is the buds have to be stored frozen without being moved around a lot to prevent breaking off trichomes. Same when you take them out of the freezer, let them come up to room temp without disturbing the buds before you open the jar.

Oxygen eaters are a food safe pouch with iron oxide in it. You drop a couple in a jar and then vacuum seal it. The iron oxide in the pouch will oxidize burning up the remaining oxygen in the jar. I used these ones in my half gallon mason jars.
Amazon product
They make different size pouches for different sized containers. Be sure to vacuum seal your remaining pouches to prevent them from burning out trying to absorb the oxygen in the air. I hope this helps. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have additional questions.

I have stored cannabis in vacuum sealed jars for 2 years with no refrigeration, after the cure, with no adverse affects. Buds taste/smell as good or better than when first sealed up. I do store my jars in a fruit cellar which never gets above 60°F. If I plan on storing longer I will freeze the buds. Only issue with this is the buds have to be stored frozen without being moved around a lot to prevent breaking off trichomes. Same when you take them out of the freezer, let them come up to room temp without disturbing the buds before you open the jar.

Oxygen eaters are a food safe pouch with iron oxide in it. You drop a couple in a jar and then vacuum seal it. The iron oxide in the pouch will oxidize burning up the remaining oxygen in the jar. I used these ones in my half gallon mason jars.
Amazon product
They make different size pouches for different sized containers. Be sure to vacuum seal your remaining pouches to prevent them from burning out trying to absorb the oxygen in the air. I hope this helps. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have additional questions.

Thanks! I will look them up. Seems like a good idea to get the rest of the oxygen out.

We recently had a customer who found a jar he'd hidden away for over a year with bud and boveda inside. Both were preserved perfectly and the boveda was still squishy :)

Larger amounts are often vacuum-sealed with Boveda inside.

We recently had a customer who found a jar he'd hidden away for over a year with bud and boveda inside. Both were preserved perfectly and the boveda was still squishy :)

Larger amounts are often vacuum-sealed with Boveda inside.
For "long term storage," what is your or Boveda's view of the value of also adding oxygen removal packets to herb sealed with Boveda packs?

Has Boveda sponsored or do you know of any actual studies of moisture content related to curing or cannabis quality, such as comparing long-term storage in Bovedas in the 50%-70% RH range in terms of THC and/or terpene levels; end-user ratings of curing; or other parameters?

Back