New Grower Natures Living Soil first Grow.

I forgot to add something in my post above and it's important enough for a separate post.
Adding yucca powder when watering is helpful in avoiding dry pockets that can occur if the media dries out too much or improper watering. It acts as a surfactant and allows the media to be more absorbent with the lower surface tension of the water. A very little goes a long way! It's good insurance, especially for someone new to growing in containers. I watered my media with yucca power mix when mixing my media in the tote and adding it to my tools and use on a regular basis. Every third watering should be fine, but it's not set in stone.

I forgot to add something in my post above and it's important enough for a separate post.
Adding yucca powder when watering is helpful in avoiding dry pockets that can occur if the media dries out too much or improper watering. It acts as a surfactant and allows the media to be more absorbent with the lower surface tension of the water. A very little goes a long way! It's good insurance, especially for someone new to growing in containers. I watered my media with yucca power mix when mixing my media in the tote and adding it to my tools and use on a regular basis. Every third watering should be fine, but it's not set in stone.
Link to yucca u use please.

I'm making a tea with NLS & Molasses for first feeding. What is a ballpark ppm for first feeding? 300?
I don't know NLS. If it's organic, ppm really doesn't come into play.

Temp: 75f
RH: 77%
Lights: 2-autocobs @ 30"
Media: Natures Living Soil/FFHF supersoil

IMG_0296.JPG
Day 17-Jack Herer (GHS)
IMG_0297.JPG
Day 13-GG4
IMG_0298.JPG
Day 5-GSC
IMG_0299.JPG

Currently brewing tea using NLS & molasses on the Jack later today. Other 2 still rainwater.

Last edited:
When do I dip my toe into LST? Now or wait? Top? Each plant is completely different in structure, does that impact the decision of when to top? I understand that if topping, I need to wait until 4-5 nodes.

Which plant should be topped?
Which should be LST'd?
Do both to both?

Or should I just leave them alone.

That's all personal preference right there. I topped and LST'd my first and only plant just to see how it would go. I figured if I really screwed it up and it died, well, it was early enough on to restart. I waited until the 5th was solidly above the 4th before topping. I tied each branch out the sides and then again. I think I may have overdone it as the plant stayed quite short! I had originally planned to just leave it alone and see what it did but I can't keep my hands off anything.

If you have more than one going, experiment a bit.

You can start lst on the two oldest now, but week 3 is a good rule of thumb.
Make your first tie down your anchor at the bottom of the stem at ground level.
Your next tie should be high up on the main stem and take a pull in the opposite direction.
If you use the soft wire type at this stage, you can probably just loop it around the top and let the weight pull it in the direction you want to go and just anchor the other end at a later time.
I use safety pins to attach it to my pots.
Your girls will readjust themselves very quickly. so adjustments and additions are needed frequently.
As it grows, new sites will open up and you just pull them towards an open area towards the side of the pot.
The idea is to have and even canopy so that you break the main cola dominance where the plant sends more growth hormones to the main cola.

I'll be starting LST sometime next week on some of my girls. Just take a look at the thread in my sig to see what I do for LST.

Last edited:
You can start lst on the two oldest now, but week 3 is a good rule of thumb.
Make your first tie down your anchor at the bottom of the stem at ground level.
Your next tie should be high up on the main stem and take a pull in the opposite direction.
If you use the soft wire type at this stage, you can probably just loop it around the top and let the weight pull it in the direction you want to go and just anchor the other end at a later time.
I use safety pins to attach it to my pots.
Your girls will readjust themselves very quickly. so adjustments and additions are needed frequently.
As it grows, new sites will open up and you just pull them towards an open area towards the side of the pot.
The idea is to have and even canopy so that you break the main cola dominance where the plant sends more growth hormones to the main cola.

I'll be starting LST sometime next week on some of my girls. Just take a look at the thread in my sig to see what I do for LST.
Patiently waiting. Oh yeah, while I love the idea of a closet Grow, it is only 19" deep. That is a potential problem. How do I rectify that? IMG_1989.JPGIMG_1991.JPG

4x4 tent with tsw-2000. I'll be adding my existing 2-autocobs from COBSHOP to the mix. Thus widening the light foot print. Letting things warm up and knocking off the cobwebs. I'm stoked. Took me less than 2 weeks for a complete upgrade.

On another note, I just watered Jack & GG with 2 cups each of NLS/molasses. It is a very light batch, since this is my first time. Question, if my moisture meter reads dry at 1 knuckle deep but moist 4/5 inches down, do you water?

Back