New Grower Natures Living Soil first Grow.

This is all just my opinion and personal experience... fwiw.
Its really hard to overwater a cloth pot ime.... Believe me Ive tried. lol . if it were me, Ide water a little more often or more each time you water. Like water a little then wait a few minutes and water again then if you get any runoff, let them soak it up for a 30 minutes before you put them up on those grates..The entire pot shouldnt dry out all the way to the bottom 2 inches...maybe the top couple inches because it will deplete your good bacteria throughout the rest of your pot. With organics, you never want the soil to dry out like that really. its good they are drinking alot, but when they are putting on weight you dont want them dried out and drooping, it can negatively impact your harvest. imo best to water when the lights come on ..but thats only because im paranoid about powdery mildew popping up between wet leaves during the dark period.. althouh not as big of a deal with autos and only 4 hours of darkness...Looking good...
GL

Last edited:
Its really hard to overwater a cloth pot ime.... Believe me Ive tried. lol . if it were me, Ide water a little more often or more each time you water. Like water a little then wait a few minutes and water again then if you get any runoff, let them soak it up for a 30 minutes before you put them up on those grates..The entire pot shouldnt dry out all the way to the bottom 2 inches...maybe the top couple inches because it will deplete your good bacteria throughout the rest of your pot. With organics, you never want the soil to dry out like that really. its good they are drinking alot, but when they are putting on weight you dont want them dried out and drooping, it can negatively impact your harvest. imo best to water when the lights come on ..but thats only because im paranoid about powdery mildew popping up between wet leaves during the dark period.. althouh not as big of a deal with autos and only 4 hours of darkness...Looking good...
GL
I've been watering a few hours after lights on and that's out of convenience more than anything, but it does go with what I've always done by watering as early as possible in the mornings in my garden or lawn.
Big Sul
One random thought, make sure your water is close to the ambient temp of the tent. It's a guide, nothing exact, but the less stress the better,

GL
That was VERY helpful feedback. I'm still not dialed in on watering, specifically how much. A concern I previously had was over watering. Last night it took me 20 min to water 2 plants. Water, wait, water, wait, water, wait. Measured ph of runoff and it came in at 6.3 on both. Then let them sit for 15 min in run off and soak it back up.

Thx.

Your now an official junior member of the SSA, Seed Scroungers Anonymous! I'd need another lifetime to grow all mine!

What just happened??? I hear everyone talking bout Mephisto, so I threw my hat in the ring. Oh boy am I having some fun. Why did I get so much? I have no clue. I just kept clicking and wanted to check out before everything was gone.

What's the saying? A fool & his $$$........

3 Bears OG
Super Orange Haze
Double Grape
Ripley's OG
Toofless Alien
CDLC
Samsquanch

Good Morning friends

Working through some stuff the last couple of days. Getting some spots on the leaves. Hindsight, I think I got a little aggressive in feeding. I soaked them with teas for 2 days, then did a topdress of GFP. HOWEVER, I did see some spots last week and didn't make anything of it. As these are in NLS/FFHF SuperSoil, I'm going straight 6.4 rainwater for the foreseeable future to see the direction. Other than that, plants are still progressing.
IMG_2101.JPGIMG_2103.JPGIMG_2106.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

Day 45-GG 4
IMG_2108.JPG

Day 37-GSC
IMG_2109.JPG

Your now an official junior member of the SSA, Seed Scroungers Anonymous! I'd need another lifetime to grow all mine!
YES!!!! Junior status at such an early time in my growing career. Feeling proud. But isn't the first step admitting that I have a problem? Can't check that box.

Looks like the beginning of your first true test/lesson. Growing autos is usually a breeze until mid flower. Then the obstacles start appearing. It's just as easy to overfeed/lockout the soil with organics as it is with bottles. Teas are a once every two weeks kind of thing. You should only need to top dress once during an auto grow, if at all. One thing you will need to learn and apply asap is that spots/leaf issues do not automatically mean you have a deficiency, nor does it automatically mean to add more of something. 9 out of 10 times, it means there is too much of something. Just something to keep in mind.

Looks like the beginning of your first true test/lesson. Growing autos is usually a breeze until mid flower. Then the obstacles start appearing. It's just as easy to overfeed/lockout the soil with organics as it is with bottles. Teas are a once every two weeks kind of thing. You should only need to top dress once during an auto grow, if at all. One thing you will need to learn and apply asap is that spots/leaf issues do not automatically mean you have a deficiency, nor does it automatically mean to add more of something. 9 out of 10 times, it means there is too much of something. Just something to keep in mind.
I have a tendency to push rather than accommodate. I am going to put a rubber band on my wrist and snap it every time I want to do more. Each and every step is a learning process for me. I truly need to embrace my overall outlook on life to my growing philosophy "when life is good, why hurry".

I have a tendency to push rather than accommodate. I am going to put a rubber band on my wrist and snap it every time I want to do more. Each and every step is a learning process for me. I truly need to embrace my overall outlook on life to my growing philosophy "when life is good, why hurry".
Or vice versa.. You could always change your grow style to better match your enthusiasm. Either way works, lol. I grew tired of tinkering pretty quickly when I first started.. That's what led me to water only organic grows.. But if your true nature is to be more hands on and in control, maybe try a grow or two using bottles and a basic soil. But yes, you hit on a very important point that I tell new growers all the time.. Your grow style should closely resemble your personality. It makes learning and growing and learning much easier.

" more is good and too much is just enough"..... many new growers fall into this trap. That's why I preach KISS Keep It Super Simple! There are several good soil mixes you can find here on AFN, and with any one of them you can complete a grow with nothing more than water. People just like to fuss with their plants, but it doesn't mean that your plants like it! With KISS, you have more time to study your plants, really learn about them. In time, you can often tell one strain from another just by looking at them. And this style is close to what nature provides. The only time a water only style is not the best is in small pots, anything less than 2 gallons.
The first time you grow water only organics, it will make you crazy lol, because you'll feel you just HAVE to DO something! But patience will be rewarded.

On the occassions I do top dress, I don't use nutrients. I use well composted organic soil, to provide nutrients that are already made available for the plants to use. and inch of soil will freshen up any pot quickly, just top water a couple times to get the nutrients and microlife into your pot.

Not saying you need to grow this way, but it points to the fact that organic growing should not be approached like growing with manufactured nutrients, where you have little choice but to fuss with things and do the chemistry set polka lol!

Back