New Grower Natures Living Soil first Grow.

QUESTION: I am top dressing the 2 big girls w/NLS and watering w/rainwater. Is it advisable to add molasses to RW?
i think it is a great idea. rainwater should be at PH of around 7, so add that molasses to get the microbes chugging.

Why would you add molasses? What would you expect it to do? Does the plant "need" this or do I "want" this? Just a few questions I ask myself before I just add stuff to my pot. Which NLS product are you top dressing with? Does the top dress include the same ingredients/nutrients as molasses? As a new grower, one of the hardest things to do is fight the urge to add stuff.. Question the urge.. Fight the urge, lol..

Why would you add molasses? What would you expect it to do? Does the plant "need" this or do I "want" this? Just a few questions I ask myself before I just add stuff to my pot. Which NLS product are you top dressing with? Does the top dress include the same ingredients/nutrients as molasses? As a new grower, one of the hardest things to do is fight the urge to add stuff.. Question the urge.. Fight the urge, lol..
Love the fact that you are TRYING to teach me to fish rather than give me a fish. My thought process was to utilize molasses/water to water in the NLS Autoflower top dressing to "feed the soil". NLS recommends making teas with 2-3 tablespoons & Molasses. As I am top dressing this round, no molasses in the equation, so I was going to incorporate during watering. If I understand your questioning, It appears that molasses added to watering would be redundant with the NLS Autoflower mix for top dressing?

I'm finding that the hardest thing about growing is not providing the plants what they need, but rather controlling my URGE to screw things up. I chose to do SuperSoil w/NLS to make things essentially idiot proof. What I failed to identify, was the high degree of idiocies I possess.

Keep on me my friend, I will eventually stop touching the hot burner! The question seems to be, can I learn BEFORE I do damage.

Natures Living Soil sent me a bag of their Girl Flower Power for top feeding & teas. I haven't used yet. Plan is to wait til day 30'ish to apply top dress and/or rainwater teas.

I recently chopped 2 plants that spent 97 days in 5 gallon pots of organic soil. They got nothing but water the entire grow. No top dressing, no teas. Just s good soil mix. My style is KISS Keep It Super Simple! And it works. My plant were still green at almost 100 days. If your running a good super soil mix, you need nothing else! What people find hard, even organic growers, is not fiddling with things to try to make it "better". Here's what leaving it alone and letting it grow does:

This was taken 3 days before chop

Pineapple Poison pic2 -11-3-2020.jpg

Love the fact that you are TRYING to teach me to fish rather than give me a fish. My thought process was to utilize molasses/water to water in the NLS Autoflower top dressing to "feed the soil". NLS recommends making teas with 2-3 tablespoons & Molasses. As I am top dressing this round, no molasses in the equation, so I was going to incorporate during watering. If I understand your questioning, It appears that molasses added to watering would be redundant with the NLS Autoflower mix for top dressing?

I'm finding that the hardest thing about growing is not providing the plants what they need, but rather controlling my URGE to screw things up. I chose to do SuperSoil w/NLS to make things essentially idiot proof. What I failed to identify, was the high degree of idiocies I possess.

Keep on me my friend, I will eventually stop touching the hot burner! The question seems to be, can I learn BEFORE I do damage.

Natures Living Soil sent me a bag of their Girl Flower Power for top feeding & teas. I haven't used yet. Plan is to wait til day 30'ish to apply top dress and/or rainwater teas.

Do you have pics of the top dress bag? It should list the ingredients.. What's in that top dress? Post a pic if it's easier. You last sentence, the urge won, lmao! Why are you planning to do something to your plant based on age? That's the urge winning, lol. Let the plant tell you when and what it needs.. Not a chart.. The penalty for over doing things is much greater than the penalty for not doing enough... It seems that you wanted a simple water only grow style, found one, and are already planning to add more than what is suggested, lol. Gotta reign that horse in, lol.
Molasses is a source of microbes, carbs and sugars.. Sugars help grow bacteria.. Bacteria breaks down organic matter in the soil and turns it into nutrients for the plant. All positive things.. But I betcha a dollar that the ingredients of the top dress do the exact same thing, plus some.. So just keep in mind that with organics, whatever your thinking of adding during the grow, is most likely already present if you're in a good medium/soil. It is definitely possible to have too many microbes, or too much bacteria, or too much fungi.. Which can all lead to bad things.. Just some food for thought!

Do you have pics of the top dress bag? It should list the ingredients.. What's in that top dress? Post a pic if it's easier. You last sentence, the urge won, lmao! Why are you planning to do something to your plant based on age? That's the urge winning, lol. Let the plant tell you when and what it needs.. Not a chart.. The penalty for over doing things is much greater than the penalty for not doing enough... It seems that you wanted a simple water only grow style, found one, and are already planning to add more than what is suggested, lol. Gotta reign that horse in, lol.
Molasses is a source of microbes, carbs and sugars.. Sugars help grow bacteria.. Bacteria breaks down organic matter in the soil and turns it into nutrients for the plant. All positive things.. But I betcha a dollar that the ingredients of the top dress do the exact same thing, plus some.. So just keep in mind that with organics, whatever your thinking of adding during the grow, is most likely already present if you're in a good medium/soil. It is definitely possible to have too many microbes, or too much bacteria, or too much fungi.. Which can all lead to bad things.. Just some food for thought!
Preach!!! Hmmmm, everything is on track and progressing, and I want to fuck that up. Interesting. FYI, there is more than plant growing going on here.

I recently chopped 2 plants that spent 97 days in 5 gallon pots of organic soil. They got nothing but water the entire grow. No top dressing, no teas. Just s good soil mix. My style is KISS Keep It Super Simple! And it works. My plant were still green at almost 100 days. If your running a good super soil mix, you need nothing else! What people find hard, even organic growers, is not fiddling with things to try to make it "better". Here's what leaving it alone and letting it grow does:

When experienced growers respond, I listen.....

This was taken 3 days before chop

View attachment 1283288

Woke up this AM to this. Not sure what happened. Probably aggressive training. Heartbreaking.

The branch was split, not snapped. It was not hanging. I took a pipe cleaner and put a couple turns on it.

PLEASE advise if u think this is what is needed or if I should do more.
IMG_2028.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_2030.JPGIMG_2031.JPG

YES, I see molasses listed, and your point has been received. Keep firing away. I'll eventually get there.

Back