New Grower Natures Living Soil first Grow.

Can't imagine how well these babies would do if I would leave them alone. I have gone from not watering enough(not watering entire pot) to overwatering. Fully watered a couple days ago and they reacted perfectly. Next day, top 1 inch of soil was dry. After seeing how happy they were. I decided to try to keep them in that range. NOT A GOOD MOVE. 8 hours later, they are happy again. They were not happy. I apologized to them and promised to be more patient. My takeaway is to seek progress, not perfection. My pursuit of perfection will be the end of these babies if I don't get my "urges" under control.
IMG_2040.JPG

Day 31
IMG_2036.JPG

Day 27
IMG_2037.JPG

Day 19
IMG_2039.JPG

Natures Living Soil sent me a bag of their Girl Flower Power for top feeding & teas.

grow is looking good big sul

i just gave my girl her first tea with this stuff
did a 1tbsp gfp and 1 tbsp molasses with 2 liters water.i decided to aerate it for 30 hours.
i'm on day 44

one thing i've noticed with natures living soil grow journals is the consistent healthy looking plants.
hopefully we can keep this up.

grow is looking good big sul

i just gave my girl her first tea with this stuff
did a 1tbsp gfp and 1 tbsp molasses with 2 liters water.i decided to aerate it for 30 hours.
i'm on day 44

one thing i've noticed with natures living soil grow journals is the consistent healthy looking plants.
hopefully we can keep this up.
I too have tea brewing. Are you doing any topdressings? If so, how are you incorporating with teas? I'm going to alternate weeks. This week I'm doing Tea/tea/rainwater then next week topdressing and watering w/rw. Please continue to check in. I'll be keeping this thread going entire Grow for future reference.

Got a pic or 2?

I too have tea brewing. Are you doing any topdressings? If so, how are you incorporating with teas? I'm going to alternate weeks. This week I'm doing Tea/tea/rainwater then next week topdressing and watering w/rw. Please continue to check in. I'll be keeping this thread going entire Grow for future reference.

Got a pic or 2?

no top dressing for me.
just going to add the tea every 3rd or 4th watering and see how she goes.
i started as just a add water grow.
then added molasses last week and now the gfp tea.:stir:
think i'll stop there.:lol:

The learning curve is expanding as I continue to control the environment. I've learned to make minor adjustments and embrace continued improvement. This desert crap presents challenges. So far, I'm liking the Natures Living Soil (SuperSoil) w/ FFHF.
IMG_0305.JPG

Day 32
IMG_2043.JPG

Day 28
IMG_2045.JPG

Day 20
IMG_2046.JPG

Top watering vs bottom watering? I am currently topwatering and was wondering about the value of putting water in the tray and letting them soak up water for 15-20 min, then remove excess water if any and put back on the risers, thus allowing air flow to the bottom of fabric pots. I've read a lot of autopot threads and my plants leaves are exceeding the edges of the pots.

I only want to add value while applying the KISS model. I kinda like the idea cuz I'm still struggling with how much water is needed.

Top watering vs bottom watering? I am currently topwatering and was wondering about the value of putting water in the tray and letting them soak up water for 15-20 min, then remove excess water if any and put back on the risers, thus allowing air flow to the bottom of fabric pots. I've read a lot of autopot threads and my plants leaves are exceeding the edges of the pots.

I only want to add value while applying the KISS model. I kinda like the idea cuz I'm still struggling with how much water is needed.
You really have to know how much water your pot will take to be fully watered. That comes with time. The Starting point is knowing how much a fully watered pot weighs. I just halve it. I just do it mainly to save time and make the usage of time a little more effective. I water in halves anyway to wait and give it time for the water to work it's way down. I really don't think there is an advantage to the plant other than maybe it's easier to avoid overwatering. The other key point is to wait after the first watering. You can do other things while you wait. Now just pour the half into the tray and wait 15 min. You'll be able easily to see which girls were more thirsty in how quickly they take up the water and note that. After 15 min, just remove the water. They're fully watered. It may help not getting dry pockets in your media also.
You can just top water and get the same results. You just have to be more patient in waiting for the water to work it's way thru the media.
It's just my take on something I can make more consistent in doing. Lessening the variables in growing canna is great and especially getting watering down to as consistent as possible with it being so key to growing better quality canna with fewer problems.

Your girls are looking great. You know I’m a fan of the autopots, but the main reason I got them was to take watering (i.e. me) out of the equation. As long as the roots aren’t sitting in water/nute solution, you should be good to go either way.

Back