Dutch Passion MY BEANS ARE FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!AutoXtreme Grow Journal

Oh for sure, and you are totally right about it being dependent on the strain, very vigorous growing strains I would say that it might be ok to do on, but I want to do a side by side comparison someday and see what the empirical data says.

Like i said its very strain dependant,would not do it on every auto, plus tactical defoliation worked on my GSC from fastbuds very well, I dont rip everything off, its more about location. Also can slow some strains down allowing for more vegetative growth but yes on other strains it could cause the plant to the flower early from stress. I also did it on my Alien v Triangle with great success. Everyone's got different ways of growing, especially with autoflowers due to being mainstream for only a short period time, grow styles and do's and dont's are still developing along with the strains.
Totally agree with everything you have said I also defoliation and have document it on my thread showing two bud sites that were being shadow by a large fan leaf and what they were like 72 hr after I removed it.
I believe that defoliation of a little bit actually helps yeild peice

L
image.jpeg

Worked fine for me

I personally try to grow a strain more than once, I also grow photo's and that takes more than one grow to get the strain dialled in. I think if you apply similar methodology to autoflowers you can find out what a strain likes and what it doesn't. The only problem is that with photos you have clones and with auto's you dont, your relying on the stability of the strain to get similar phenotypes to apply this.

Yep @nudger361976 you are totally right about having to rely on the stability of the genetics to get the desired pheno, and growing from seed can make that difficult. And I am not sayin that a little defoliation is bad, I just have a hard time doing it for some reason. Also I kinda like getting larf buds, because that is what I make my oil out of, not just trim. It makes the oil taste much better

I know what ya mean, even though I have minimal space I struggle to get rid of males, just cant do it.

Why do you have a hard time killin the males lol, those I have no problem killing. I just find it hard to defoliate because as soon as I go to snip the branch I just cant help but think about all the little cells that will not longer be photosynthesizing. Now there is a point where if the fan leaves get too big they have a point of diminishing return, basically meaning that the leaf is too big and it is actually working to hard to photosynthesize. But I still can't ever do it lol, and I am most likely in the minority on this one because I know a lot of folks defoliate and have great results. But I am stubborn I guess or paranoid about doing something to stress the plant out, things like that.

Yep, plants can only do so much there is a maximum point for all variables in the growing cycle, it is my goal to get as close to those max numbers as possible without seeing any diminishing returns. That can be a hard thing to do though because I can't see inside the leaf and see all the cells lol, I wish I could, that way I would know exactly what to do!

Back