Outdoor Mephisto Sour Stomper Grow

Looks like it! A beautiful strain. She's picking up quite the fowl odor...
Have to have her and the sour crack up on blocks to match the ghost Toof running behind.
15656741841992893524185164991199.jpg

Dang your is much larger. I will have to try again next year (I can't grow indoors) and I believe it is too late in the season to start another plant

@Arthur here is a pic from this evening. Getting close, I am thinking a few more weeks or so!

Looking mighty fine @DevilDog_0651 ! Sometimes it hard to see clearly, but it sure looks like all your trichomes are milky now. But, like I say, its hard to evaluate fully unless in person. I used to wait until I had a good amount of ambering to harvest - then by virtue of my work schedule, I was forced to harvest early when all cloudy but not much ambering to speak of. I loved the effects of all milky vs the effects of ambering trichs. My example was an Indica, but a Sativa may be somewhat different. I suppose I like a more uplifted effect rather than one that feels more couch-lock or narcotic like. Just my preferences and they may not reflect what others prefer.

Have you seen this chart? It may help guide you to the proper stage to chop.

Trich.jpg

@Stone420 yes, I love that chart! The trics in the first pic are from a sugar leaf I think and I heard not to judge by those, but to look at the trics on the bud. Either way I will check when I get home. Most of my pistils are still white too, isn't that a sign of needing to wait? Or is harvest always decided by trichomes?

For sure, @DevilDog_0651 , the best place to view the trichomes will be on the calyx (bud) just as you said and not on the sugar leaves.

Three methods are used to judge a harvest: Time in flower, browning of pistils and color of trichomes. I feel that list is in order from the least reliable to the most reliable being trich coloration is the most accurate evaluation. I have seen a plant with nearly totally brown pistils but her trichs were just half clear and half milky. Had I pulled her based on the pistil coloration, I would have pulled her early for my preferences. I really think pistil coloration is strain dependent, and with that said, trichome evaluation seems to be my best bet. I always say that these are my personal preferences while yours will surely vary.

Glad you like the chart. I keep that handy as a reference and it serves me well. Be sure to save it to help some of the new growers along when you show them what to look for in a harvest. Great job my friend...its coming together for you nicely!!

For sure, @DevilDog_0651 , the best place to view the trichomes will be on the calyx (bud) just as you said and not on the sugar leaves.

Three methods are used to judge a harvest: Time in flower, browning of pistils and color of trichomes. I feel that list is in order from the least reliable to the most reliable being trich coloration is the most accurate evaluation. I have seen a plant with nearly totally brown pistils but her trichs were just half clear and half milky. Had I pulled her based on the pistil coloration, I would have pulled her early for my preferences. I really think pistil coloration is strain dependent, and with that said, trichome evaluation seems to be my best bet. I always say that these are my personal preferences while yours will surely vary.

Glad you like the chart. I keep that handy as a reference and it serves me well. Be sure to save it to help some of the new growers along when you show them what to look for in a harvest. Great job my friend...its coming together for you nicely!!
Thanks @Stone420 you are the LST champ! I am trying to emulate your plants. My photo is looking nice! It's hard to tell from this pic, but this is from the top of the bud. Not exactly sure what calyx is. My wife prefers an active high so I think I will chop the top part in the next few days. They look to be pretty much all milky. I will leave the bottom half on for another week or so and then chop.

Attachments

• 20190813_173408.jpg
    20190813_173408.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 102
You got a super good plan in that you can "stage" your harvest to get the benefits you want from the plant. Great thinking!!!

The calyx is kinda like the ovary of the bud....the pistils come out of the calyx and are the pollen receptors. If pollen gets on the pistils, the calyx becomes the seed pod to develop the seed. Here are a couple of pics showing a calyx:

PAN-CALYX_1.jpg
View attachment 1090513

Cannabis_Calyxes_The_3.jpg

Look at the part of the plant that the pistils extend from...this is the calyx and is the best place to check the trichs. Good luck with your staged harvest!

Last edited:
Thanks @Stone420 you are the LST champ! I am trying to emulate your plants. My photo is looking nice! It's hard to tell from this pic, but this is from the top of the bud. Not exactly sure what calyx is. My wife prefers an active high so I think I will chop the top part in the next few days. They look to be pretty much all milky. I will leave the bottom half on for another week or so and then chop.
That's great! Learn to do at least a two stage harvest if ya have the time to keep a semi-close watch on them, it just gives you the ability to have a more uniform harvest as to what your after for that strain. One thing that I have noted, my trichs will still mature atleast a bit after harvest.

Still waiting on my harvest but I did chop half of my super stunded sour stomper. I guess I got ants in my pants. It was not ready but it was only two little twigs. It has dried and is curing now. My wife is going to try it after work today and let me know. I told her it will not taste great since it has not cured.

Attachments

• 20190816_183809.jpg
    20190816_183809.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 94
Well everyone! The time is coming near. My wife does not like "couch lock" so I am tempted to chop the top half. What do you all think?

Attachments

• 20190821_135718.jpg
    20190821_135718.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 20190821_135330.jpg
    20190821_135330.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 20190821_135304.jpg
    20190821_135304.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 125
  • 20190821_135251.jpg
    20190821_135251.jpg