Extraction Magical Butter Machine

Has anyone ever eaten a decarbed bud?

Yes, though usually I grind it up into a flour and mix it with something. Once it is ground up into a fine powder a heroic dose is only like a few teaspoons. If you mix it with granola or melt it with some chocolate you will hardly notice it there. Not the most elegant way make an edible but it is simple and it will get you high.

WOW thanks everyone. My MBM2 came in yesterday. All of your input and experience is SO invaluable here. Again thanks to you and to AFN in general.

Sat I will make my first tincture. I have the 190 Everclear. I'll let you know. @SPZ you got to look at this thread.

Thanks for the call, just finished up reading all 36 pages LOL! Great thread lots of great info to research. I make edibles for my ski and bike expositions (they last a long time plus something seems wrong about stopping your workout to smoke lol). I have never used the MB machine but I will share my own experience with tinctures....

I have friend who is not much of a toker, but he is an avid beer brewer. He usually makes 30-50 gallons of beer at a whack and we have started treating some of it with tinctures to make what we "efficacious ale". We have been doing this for a few years now experimenting with different techniques. Our main goal is to eliminate the taste, especially the chlorophyll taste, from the tincture so it does not contaminate the beer, while maintaining the correct psychoactive effect with proper dosing in each bottle. This is not home brew swill--my friend takes pride in his work and he has a very good palate, the flavor from the tincture must be non-existent or highly complimentary to the specific beer. Usually hoppy beers compliment the taste better and malty and subtle beers are almost a non-starter.

Here is the recipe we use:

• Grind bud or trim to a flour
  • Decarb in oven for 50 minutes at 225F
  • Cover bud with everclear
  • Allow to steep for about one week
  • Filter alcohol from bud using coffee filter
  • Rinse filtered bud thoroughly with vodka (don't need to waste everclear for this step) and add rinse to tincture (lots of good stuff is left behind in filtered buds and needs to be rinsed out, we found out the hard way by drinking the rinse and OD'ing once)
  • Do not evaporate or cook down, you will get sludge coming out of suspension and it won't mix with the beer correctly
  • Use syringe to add measured amount to each bottle prior to capping, we have learned that mixing all of the tincture into the keg results in uneven dosage. We've used anywhere from 1/4 oz bud to one ounce of trim per five gallons of beer, depending on the desired effect.

This is an experimental run I just did, we are trying several new techniques head-to-head to minimize the flavor without affecting potency.

IMG_20180306_082627760.jpg

A. Control batch, using standard recipe above
B. Same as control batch, but trim was blanched for five minutes in 130F water prior to decarb step to minimize taste
C. Trim was not ground, this supposedly minimizes the taste
D. Trim was not ground and was blanched both
E. Same as control batch but steeping was done in freezer which supposedly minimizes taste

Each batch uses exactly 7g trim and 75ml of alcohol so we can compare apples to apples. One thing I've already learned is that it takes a lot more everclear to cover the buds if they are not ground up (like twice as much). So if you want to minimize wasted everclear and don't care about flavor, I'd say you should grind it up first.

We are in the testing phase now, I'll let folks know how it goes!!!!! I also got some great ideas for new experiments from this thread so some more test runs are in order over the summer!! Questions, comments, and recommendations are welcome!!! :cheers:

@SPZ God I love engineers !!!!! I thought of you when I saw this. Well my batch must be weak. I tried 0.1 ml under the tongue. Felt a little. Next the dose was .03 ml. not much happed. And there was the burn I've read about. Then yesterday tried 1.0 ml in a small cup of water. Not too much. After 3 hours I tried 2.0 ml in water. Not much again. So I will run the green dragon through a second heat with more bud and more ever clear.

Now I know why there is wackiness in the woods.

I have friend who is not much of a toker, but he is an avid beer brewer. He usually makes 30-50 gallons of beer at a whack and we have started treating some of it with tinctures to make what we "efficacious ale". We have been doing this for a few years now experimenting with different techniques. Our main goal is to eliminate the taste, especially the chlorophyll taste, from the tincture so it does not contaminate the beer, while maintaining the correct psychoactive effect with proper dosing in each bottle. This is not home brew swill--my friend takes pride in his work and he has a very good palate, the flavor from the tincture must be non-existent or highly complimentary to the specific beer. Usually hoppy beers compliment the taste better and malty and subtle beers are almost a non-starter.

If you haven't tried it, you might look into trying out some water curing with some flower. Haven't tried it personally, but I've read good things about it removing a lot of the plant taste while not affecting the potency. Basically soaking in water for about a week changing the water out on a regular basis to leech out the unwanted elements before then drying and proceeding to use as normal for the tincture.

Good luck finding the ultimate beer/bud combo! :greenthumb:

For those of you that have the option to use a Sous Vide... here is a different way to Decarb.....

SVDecarb2_LoRes.jpg

Link Here.....http://www.sousweed.com/blog/decarb?rq=decarb

And for those that like to cook with infused butter, oil, etc, try this website for loads of Sous Vide Weed Recipes, Drinks, Desserts, etc ...

SousWeed_Mezcal_Collab-6395_LoRes.jpg

Link Here http://www.sousweed.com/blog

Some real good stuff there folks, take a look.​

Last edited:
Nice to have you as part of the crew. Those butter trays are fantastic for making perfect sticks, no guessing measurements.

Post up your first run here if you don't mind.

Yes, though usually I grind it up into a flour and mix it with something. Once it is ground up into a fine powder a heroic dose is only like a few teaspoons. If you mix it with granola or melt it with some chocolate you will hardly notice it there. Not the most elegant way make an edible but it is simple and it will get you high.

Back