Extraction Magical Butter Machine

All material is dried first.you want as close to zero moister as you can get. Moister evaporating lowers the temp of the material, reducing the effectiveness of the process. Conventionally dried material will still have 20-40% moister.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. :d5:

I put my tincture in drinks, coffee, etc. I tried sub-lingual but don't like the alcohol burn. its great in hot drinks as it boils off most of the alcohol. I use a CBD tinc, 2ml in my coffee etc

Thanks for your input. My elevation is just over 5000 feet. I read somewhere, perhaps MBM website, to use the 130F for higher altitudes.
Well this is not my first time in listening to you :toke:
So I will do the 130 for an hour.

Do you find the tincture to be too "strong" when you use the Everclear 190? I am going to try it when it is fresh from the MBM and if I find it not to my liking I will manually add some honey to eace usage. I do not "think" it will be good to add honey to the entire batch.

Good to see you around. I spent a number of hours reading your journals. Thanks :thanks:

I put my tincture in drinks, coffee, etc. I tried sub-lingual but don't like the alcohol burn. its great in hot drinks as it boils off most of the alcohol. I use a CBD tinc, 2ml in my coffee etc

The alcohol burn is definitely tough. I have a high pain threshold and I can barely keep it under my tongue for a couple minutes. It burns the shit out of my mouth and my mouth fills up with saliva. My mouth felt chafed for a couple days after I put six dropperfuls of my previous batch in the other day and tried to brave it. I got high as fuck though.

For this runs worth, I'm going to put the minimum amount of water in my mouth to make it tolerable and swish it around until it's absorbed. For the next run I'm going to use vegetable glycerine, as I've read that this is preferable for sublingual absorption.

The alcohol burn is definitely tough. I have a high pain threshold and I can barely keep it under my tongue for a couple minutes. It burns the shit out of my mouth and my mouth fills up with saliva. My mouth felt chafed for a couple days after I put six dropperfuls of my previous batch in the other day and tried to brave it. I got high as fuck though.

For this runs worth, I'm going to put the minimum amount of water in my mouth to make it tolerable and swish it around until it's absorbed. For the next run I'm going to use vegetable glycerine, as I've read that this is preferable for sublingual absorption.
:pass:

Well I just finished my Green Dragon run. I will go into details with pics later. I just put 0.1 mm under my tongue. It was not a bad burn, just a little FYI. I will see how it affects me. Boy is it green. I did 18gr of buds of the Colorado Cookie by Dutch Passion with 2 cups of Everclear. 130f for 28 minutes in the Magic Butter2 machine (MBM2). I am feeling that the dragon is in the air and hitting my head. Sweet.

:dragon4:

Exactly man! I vape flower 99% of the time. When I have some aging surplus, I like to delve into these different areas.
I too love the flower. I have a Pax2 and Like using it. But I have , for me, extra buds so I went for the next path in my garden trails and got the MBM.

This is also another cool post from someone I found on wakenedbake. This guy went deep!

It's a comment from this post - https://wakeandbakecookbook.com/decarboxylating-cannabis-to-activate-thc/

JACKSON
May 21, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Decarbing Frank’s Gift Cannabis

I’ve been searching for a reliable way to decarboxylate medical cannabis for a while now, and there seems to be no consensus as to exactly how to do it. Different websites and forums all have a different take on the best temperature to use, how long to heat it, how to prepare it etc. My search finally led me to a British patent for a process of liquid CO2 extraction of resin from cannabis, in which they mentioned how they decarbed their samples and, most importantly, they documented the resulting lab analysis of 4 different amount of time and 3 different temperatures, and the differing results on THCa, THC, CBDa, CBD, and CBN. To me, this is a wealth of information. Here is a link to the patent:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7344736.html

The 3 temps are in Celsius and translate to Fahrenheit as follows: 105° C = 221° F, 120° C = 248° F, and 140° C = 284° F.

My takeaway from this long, very technical paper is the following 2 sentences:

Chemovar producing primarily CBD is 1 hour at 120° C. or 0.5 hour at 140° C.
Chemovar producing primarily THC to minimise CBN formation, is 1 to 2 hours at 105° C. or 1 hour at 120° C.

Translation: heat your cannabis in a 120° C (248° F) oven for an hour and you are good to go. Regardless of if your cannabis is high in THC or CBD this will work very well. So I did just that (sort of) and then had the cannabis analyzed at OG Analytical in Eugene, OR. Here is what I did, the lab analysis of cured Frank’s Gift bud, and the decarbed Frank’s Gift bud.

In the patent, they say it is preferable to dry the herb at a lower temp, then decarb it at a higher temp, but since I had put a pizza stone in the oven to try for a more even temp, I dried it and decarbed it at the same temp.

5/10/16 I started with 36 g total; removed 1.124 g for analytical lab testing. That left @35 g before removing stems, @ 34 g after removing .9 g of stems.

9:00 AM I put a 16″ pizza stone (9.5 lbs./4.3 Kilograms) in the oven and preheated to 250° F. I used a Farberware oven probe (laying on the pizza stone) to get an accurate temperature. It showed that it took @ 90 minutes to get up to temp.

I was aiming for a temp of 250° F, but since my oven fluctuates about 20° F, I could not achieve this. After almost 3 hours of screwing around with the oven, turning the temperature dial up and down, trying to get it to a stable temp, I gave up, and settled on a setting of 245° F.

I broke up the buds into small pieces (it was very sticky), put it on an aluminum baking sheet, and put it in the oven at 11:45AM. I left it in the oven for 20 minutes to dry completely. It was not sticky at all after drying it. I crumbled up the buds in my hand (very easy) and wound up with mostly powdered bud.

I returned the baking sheet to the oven and waited until the oven probe said 250° F, which took about 15 minutes. I left it in the oven for another hour, removed it, let it cool down a little, and weighed it. It now weighed 28 g, so it lost about 6 g of moisture (17.6%). I took out 1.15 g for the lab. Here are the lab results:

Before Decarbing

THCa = 4.8%
Δ9-THC = 0.9%
CBDa = 9.9%
CBD = 0.6%
CBN = <0.1%

After Decarbing

THCa = <0.1%
Δ9-THC = 4.8%
CBDa = <0.1%
CBD = 9.1%
CBN = 0.2%

I am thrilled with the results – all of the THCa got converted to THC, all the CBDa got converted to CBD, and very little of the THC got degraded to CBN. Not too shabby.

Next time I wouldn't mess with the oven temp. I would just set it at 245° F and leave it alone.

If you look at Table 5 in the patent, you'll see that there is quite a bit of leeway in time before the THC starts to seriously degrade into CBN, so leaving it in the oven for 1-2 hours at 250° F would not degrade very much THC (4.1% after 1 hour and 6.7% after 2 hours).

Miscellaneous notes: Franks Gift organically grown outdoors, harvested on 10/4/15, dried in 50% humidity, 70° F temp for 5 days (stems snapped at that point), then placed in 2 quart canning jars with a 62% Boveda pack for curing. It has been in the jar for 7 months.

I hope this is helpful.

Jackson

Awesome post, thanks for sharing this great info!

Back