Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Apr-Jun '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I'm all caught up for those that care fishing went pretty well ended up 11th out of 80 boats which was enough for a little coin and a 200$ fishing rod :woohoo1: It was a crappy raining day so wife packed up camp and we came home a day early it will be nice to have the whole day tomorrow at home Quick glance in the tents 4x4 has exploded and is packed the 3x3girls are ready for harvest pretty sure and the next round of Eb's has all sprouted 100% germ:shooty::cooldance::yay::lildab:

Yeah, we had carpet glued to the wall of our sunken living room which was an absolute nightmare to deal with! Think I'm gonna find a mask and pull the last four stairs up now. #3 went to grandma's to hang out with her brothers and swim. Might get started filling the staple/tack strip holes and sanding too since I don't really have anything better to do 🤣 what do yall think, filler then sand? Or sand filler sand? Just seems redundant sanding first but if I need to I will.
I would fill and then sand, but not if the surface is really rough. If the unfinished surface is rough, best smooth if first, it will make sanding the filler stage a bit easier. Test the color of your filler before going for it, it is better a bit darker than the wood color than lighter. Good luck with it.

:goodluck:

I would fill and then sand, but not if the surface is really rough. If the unfinished surface is rough, best smooth if first, it will make sanding the filler stage a bit easier. Test the color of your filler before going for it, it is better a bit darker than the wood color than lighter. Good luck with it.

:goodluck:
It's the stainable sort thankfully and the stain color I've got is fairly dark so I think it should work out fairly well. The wood is in fairly good shape overall, though the coked up builders of the 80s struck again with random nails coming through the stairs in various spots 🤦🏼‍♀️ It's just builder grade pine stair treads so nothing fancy but should look pretty good once the stain is down. What's my best bet for dealing with the random nails? I bought hubby a Sawzall for Father's day so I suppose I could take that to them with the metal blade but not 100% sure if that's the right way to go. Can't really think of anything else since I don't have an angle grinder or anything like that.

Well, that's all the carpet up now. Taking a breather cause damn that's some sweaty work and being on the stairs while dizzy is a no go lol.
1687645520557.gif

It's the stainable sort thankfully and the stain color I've got is fairly dark so I think it should work out fairly well. The wood is in fairly good shape overall, though the coked up builders of the 80s struck again with random nails coming through the stairs in various spots 🤦🏼‍♀️ It's just builder grade pine stair treads so nothing fancy but should look pretty good once the stain is down. What's my best bet for dealing with the random nails? I bought hubby a Sawzall for Father's day so I suppose I could take that to them with the metal blade but not 100% sure if that's the right way to go. Can't really think of anything else since I don't have an angle grinder or anything like that.
A sawzall will cut nails fine with a demolition blade, but if you are talking about cutting nails at the surface of your step surface, using that tool could be a mistake. If you touch the surface with that blade it will badly scar the surface and make sanding a major pain in the ass. Pics of the nails you are having to deal with might help me make suggestions. Generally, I find a dremel tool with metal cutting wheels to be the best way to deal with small metal removal in tight quarters. With one of them, you could grind the nail below the surface of the wood, fill with your filler, and the result might be about as good as you can get. If you do this, use the grind wheel parallel to the grain so that the slightly elongated hole lines up with the grain. :pighug: A Dremel tool can be a pretty handy device, I would not be without mine. The other "blade" I find indispensable is the carbide burr they sell for grinding tile grout. It too might work well for recessing nails that you can't get out. :goodluck:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back