Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Apr-Jun '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sawzall will cut nails fine with a demolition blade, but if you are talking about cutting nails at the surface of your step surface, using that tool could be a mistake. If you touch the surface with that blade it will badly scar the surface and make sanding a major pain in the ass. Pics of the nails you are having to deal with might help me make suggestions. Generally, I find a dremel tool with metal cutting wheels to be the best way to deal with small metal removal in tight quarters. With one of them, you could grind the nail below the surface of the wood, fill with your filler, and the result might be about as good as you can get. If you do this, use the grind wheel parallel to the grain so that the slightly elongated hole lines up with the grain. :pighug: A Dremel tool can be a pretty handy device, I would not be without mine. The other "blade" I find indispensable is the carbide burr they sell for grinding tile grout. It too might work well for recessing nails that you can't get out. :goodluck:
It's not so much that I can't get them out as that they're nailed in from the opposite side and protruding through the risers/treads. So, not heads but the sharp ends.

You and me both mate. Those little bastards are not tolerable inside vehicle or house envelopes.

They somehow got into the attic and soffit space in the house we built. I instantly recognized the sound of the little feet on the aluminum soffits, and told my wife that squirrel war was on. She had been warned earlier but did not share my intolerance, so pre-emtive strikes would have, shall we say, stressed relations. :crying:

Long story short, I went over that house envelope from end to end, side to side, and dirt to roof top and I could not figure out how the little bastards were getting in there. After about a week of head scratching, I figured it out - the little fuckers had chewed through the metal screen on the inside of the older style roof vents. The damage was invisible until I hole sawed inspection holes in the side of the vent assembly. Every vent in the house had been breached. With determination and time, I trapped the buggers and sealed up the vents with hardware cloth. Since then, the roof has been re-shingled, and the new ridge vents are squirrel proof.

The little bastards also built a nest inside the air cleaner of my Tacoma years back. I only discovered the problem when an engine light came on and the Toyota tech figured out what was up.

A now departed friend of ours had two new Toyota Rav4 vehicles burned to the ground due to packrat nests on the exhaust. The second one burned about six feet from her wooden porch steps. It was a miracle that the house didn't burn down too. The insurance company said that vehicle fires due to rodent intrusion was actually pretty common.

And then there are the mice... Rodents can be a right pain in the ass. :pighug:
I found nests a few times in my pickup, until I put rat wire around the intake. My wife used to feed squirrels and opossums until they started costing us money and time. Now she hates them fiercely! 😡

It's not so much that I can't get them out as that they're nailed in from the opposite side and protruding through the risers/treads. So, not heads but the sharp ends.
If you are just dealing with the pointy ends, Dremel is the tool. If you can't find one to borrow, just buy one, it will come in handy for other stuff at some point. :pighug:

I just had a look at the photos, and Dremel is the tool. Nothing else will do the job with as little risk to the sanding work you will have to do later. :pighug:

:jointman: :jointman: :jointman: :smokeout:
20230624_164851.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back