Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Apr-Jun '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
The complements from neighbors always feel to me like they're just happy because you're raising their property values by a couple bucks. I'll always smile and gladly take the compliment though :rofl:
Like 2/3 of the people on my block rent, so I like to believe it's sincere lmao. I'm just glad I don't have an HOA to deal with :rofl:

PXL_20220520_233149194.jpg

My favorite tree/bush on my property, or whatever a rhododendron actually is, is blooming. :headbang: One of the biggest I've ever seen around here. They usually are more like a bush but you can actually walk underneath this one and it's like being in a tunnel. Somebody who lived here well before us clearly loved this thing

There ya go, side by side for reference lmao!
20220520_193523.jpg

Bottom drainage bed in relation to the landing strip.
20220520_192406.jpg

Got our work cut out for us Sunday lmfao. Its 8' at the top and tapers down slightly as it gets to the bottom. 20' long. Also towers a good 6-10" above the driveways with a ridge in the middle. So at least a thousand pounds of soil to move/amend. Have to add in peat/compost/aeration as it's also hard pack clay just like the front bed was. The top 4' are getting pavers for the sake of maneuverability for the trashcans, and so the neighbors can still park theirs where they are. Trellis will butt up to that, marble rock down the length on both sides for drainage, edgers going in, and then the bed will go down the length of it. Once the labor intensive parts are done and everything is in place it should be pretty low maintenance though!
20220520_194710.jpg

View attachment 1461709
My favorite tree/bush on my property, or whatever a rhododendron actually is, is blooming. :headbang: One of the biggest I've ever seen around here. They usually are more like a bush but you can actually walk underneath this one and it's like being in a tunnel. Somebody who lived here well before us clearly loved this thing
Pretty sure its technically classified as a shrub!

There ya go, side by side for reference lmao!
View attachment 1461704

Bottom drainage bed in relation to the landing strip.
View attachment 1461706

Got our work cut out for us Sunday lmfao. Its 8' at the top and tapers down slightly as it gets to the bottom. 20' long. Also towers a good 6-10" above the driveways with a ridge in the middle. So at least a thousand pounds of soil to move/amend. Have to add in peat/compost/aeration as it's also hard pack clay just like the front bed was. The top 4' are getting pavers for the sake of maneuverability for the trashcans, and so the neighbors can still park theirs where they are. Trellis will butt up to that, marble rock down the length on both sides for drainage, edgers going in, and then the bed will go down the length of it. Once the labor intensive parts are done and everything is in place it should be pretty low maintenance though!
View attachment 1461720
That's a ton of work. Consider dropping a raised beds right on top with fresh soil instead? Looks like you have a hose right behind there so drip irrigation should be easy...

And yes, I did indeed take every single one of those gigantic ass bushes out by myself! Though hubby had to help me dig out the 5'ish tap root on the biggest boxwood to the far right.

That's a ton of work. Consider dropping a raised beds right on top with fresh soil instead? Looks like you have a hose right behind there so drip irrigation should be easy...
If it wasn't already way higher than the height of the driveway I might, but as it is the topsoil already washes out onto the sidewalk like crazy. Idk if you've got any experience with hard pack clay/tile but the water just doesn't move through it at all. It would basically be like putting a raised bed on top of a concrete slab that's washing out from under it. It's pretty well starved of organic matter after being a well kept patch of "nice" grass for two decades, possibly 3+. I'm going to have to add organic matter, compost, and aeration regardless of if I remove the soil down to the level of the pavement so I'd rather just get rid of the part that is the hardest to deal with. I double dug the entire front bed last year post de-bushing and it was not fun lol. I managed to retain most of the already present soil though since there were huge holes that had to be filled from where the root balls were. This won't require any hole filling, so a good bit of it is gonna have to go. Which is fine cause I just dug up the last of the red tips and one of the two remaining azaleas from the back yard so those holes will be getting filled, and the dogs have dug literal trenches a good 1-2' down all over the backyard that also have to get dealt with. Hubby will be getting a good old fashioned "5gal buckets full of dirt" workout carrying it all back there through the house lmfao. That'll just leave me with whatever dirt is left over when we grade the backyard properly, which will more that likely get put in the easement to smother the invasive crap back there until I can get to clearing it out lol.

And yeah, I need to get a bigger attachment for the spigot. I've got one with 2 openings right now, with soaker hoses running through the raised bed and the fruit patch. Need to get one with 4 so I don't have to disconnect to use the regular hose and so I can run a soaker in the new bed too. I did specifically pick stuff that was hot dry site tolerant at least so they should be pretty ok regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back