Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally like the look of the new 315w cmh - ceramic metal halides, think they are the future.

Actually, CMH is the last gasp of the HID industry. They'll continue to tweak it for another 1% or so, but the writing is on the wall. These are devices that make light as a SECONDARY product, heat is the primary. No? Lets say all HID is 32% efficient. That means, 68% of the bulbs output is heat. With LED companies finally getting it together, LED growlights can be up to 50% efficient. Consider also that we didn't take into account the losses of the ballast, as that inconvenient fact is skipped over by most light makers.

HID is dead technology and should be. We all need to work towards better energy efficient/conservation.

I personally like the look of the new 315w cmh - ceramic metal halides, think they are the future.

Maybe your right, I agree with working towards better energy efficient/conservation @popp22 but either way the best grows ive seen recently have all been with 315cmh, I grow with LED myself but would love a 315cmh set up. We must not forget without HID we would not be growing indoors in the first place, it may not be the most efficient but it definitely delivers a guaranteed decent end product. I personally think a mix of both is the best solution. LED companies need to lower the cost, you can get a 250w HPS kit for say £60, an LED panel at the same price cant even get close to what the HPS can do.

Last edited:
Lec doubles efficiency of Kind led and most cheaper panels. Recent test held as the university came in that kind was 22.5% efficient. While cmh is 42% efficient. I'm not sure bulbs are a dead subject as hid is stepping it up big time. The only way to hit 50+-% with led and keeping cost reasonable is with cobs. Apache tech is a single diode light which cost around 2500$ for 700 watts but they do hit the 50% mark. Cobs are up into 62% range and cost much less. I have said it a lot and probably sound like an efficiency nut but when it comes to 100$ panels there is no savings. They put out much less light then hps. The appearance of less heat is by the fans and lower wall wattage but they don't even come close to the claimed watts. I have grown under Mars and even did a 2 Mars 600 vs hps 600 test and the results were nearly the same and heat was actually a little more in the led room. Since I switched to Cree cobs and Cree monos with Lec supplemental my heats finally controllable.

I know from personal experience that Lec can pull 1-1.5lb photo period plants. C

Lec doubles efficiency of Kind led and most cheaper panels. Recent test held as the university came in that kind was 22.5% efficient. While cmh is 42% efficient. I'm not sure bulbs are a dead subject as hid is stepping it up big time. The only way to hit 50+-% with led and keeping cost reasonable is with cobs. Apache tech is a single diode light which cost around 2500$ for 700 watts but they do hit the 50% mark. Cobs are up into 62% range and cost much less. I have said it a lot and probably sound like an efficiency nut but when it comes to 100$ panels there is no savings. They put out much less light then hps. The appearance of less heat is by the fans and lower wall wattage but they don't even come close to the claimed watts. I have grown under Mars and even did a 2 Mars 600 vs hps 600 test and the results were nearly the same and heat was actually a little more in the led room. Since I switched to Cree cobs and Cree monos with Lec supplemental my heats finally controllable.

I know from personal experience that Lec can pull 1-1.5lb photo period plants. C
The way you broke down the efficiency is helping me to understand. So even with a ep-led COB light like I have is still more efficient then a panel. But when it comes to cree that is where they shine at the same wattage if the efficiency rating is closer to twice on panels I am digging that I understand. But I have what I have and have to use it but I am learning shit tons from you BIGSmO keep up the great tutorials and you are doing a great job of trying to put it into layman's terms. That is where a lot of prudent information falls between the cracks is when diving into a subject and using big words from the get go no fault of yours by no means. I went at 17 to a car plant and built cars no further education and learning electrical does not come easy for all of us. That being said I have had great success with the lights which is documented I have a rough time trying to find fault I chose not nearly as efficient as other leds I have learned that by understanding the math better which will help me with further purchases. That tasty led company has some nice gear priced where I can change out for theirs when the time comes. And so does Amare too and Platinum I like those dudes because they give out samples so we can see the ability they have right in front of our very eyes. AS said we area proof is in the pudding kind of site and to put there lights on here and the people that got picked that is showing 100% confidence in there lights which is a good thing. enough ramble from the OLD GUY

Was always suspicious of KIND, I did look into them when I was looking at a new light, but I ended up going with Budmaster simply because I couldn't wait for GN to release their new units.

KIND put me off with their marketing, the way they rubbish other brands, and make obviously exaggerated claims vs HPS etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if cidly apollo makes kind lights and rebrands them for Kind the old kind of kind sure does look like the apollo just saying does anyone have any info

Last edited:
here is my latest chinese COB 400 watt 180 at the wall shipping in . They are trying to emulate CREE it is really white I don't know I will give her a shot concentrate one plant under I will see this is with my apollos on. I am not running it while in veg I just turned it on to see
IMG_3038.JPG

Last edited:
here is my latest chinese COB 140 shipping in . They are trying to emulate CREE it is really white I don't know I will give her a shot concentrate one plant under I will see this is with my apollos on. I am not running it while in veg I just turned it on to seeView attachment 605775
Many many tests have been done on the white light. A 3500k is the perfect single color for plants. It does lack a little in veg but still performs very well. In flower 3500 is ideal. Most full spec DIY lights incorporate 4000k and 3500k or like my lights. 3500k with the monos surrounding. Did they list the cob temp? Or the Brand? I'm seeing more and more citizen and vero cobs around. I think the vero's are mainly for price. Actually a link http://www.rapidled.com/horticulture-1/ amazing little kit. 220$ and a higher efficient cob than most. Also comes with one of the best drivers available. My only concern is its passively cooled and the heatsync seems way undersized. I bet a fan upgrade with its used wattage would increase efficiency of the cobs by running cooler.

here is my latest chinese COB 140 shipping in . They are trying to emulate CREE it is really white I don't know I will give her a shot concentrate one plant under I will see this is with my apollos on. I am not running it while in veg I just turned it on to seeView attachment 605775
Looks like it has a red tint to it..I just found Cree 3590's in 3500 k for 36.00 each.. Actually Atulip found them but I bought them..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back