can i get most/all the other gear to get a small diy unit going from ebay?
There is actually a company that advertises on eBay that sells a DIY Cree cob kit. I like the ease of use and the efficiency is upwards of 56% which is about double most single diode led panels available.

Morning or Evening @BigSm0 may I know where did you see that "260w led is as powerful as a 600w hps" Is that you mean our Mars2 1200?
I believe it's since been changed. When I purchased my Mars 600 it was said to be a 600w equivalent. Now it says replaces a 300w hps. How does it save electricity if it's equal to nearly the same wattage hps? Also hps ranges from 20-40% efficient. Which models were they compared to?

Hi all,

We seem to have a lot of brits on this site and considering I am Canadian (hi cousins) we don't get plagron lite mix or grow northern leds. Lots of great grows come from this duo. I would like an unbiased opinion on led lights that compare to the gn series including mars. Any opinions or thoughts would be much appreciated.

@strakey...do you realise you have posted in the Mars Hydro customer care and aftersales section rather than general LED section..?

Would you like me to Move this thread through to the LED section for you...?

Last edited:
I believe it's since been changed. When I purchased my Mars 600 it was said to be a 600w equivalent. Now it says replaces a 300w hps. How does it save electricity if it's equal to nearly the same wattage hps? Also hps ranges from 20-40% efficient. Which models were they compared to?
Hi @BigSm0 The maximum power of Mars 600 is the calculate result of 120x5,as the chip claims to be 5w. so total is 600w, but in the practical situation, we won't use the maximum power, as when led reach it's highest point of efficiency, it won't become more brighter when the wattage is higher. Also if the chips always using its highest power, it will shorten the lifespan as well. So there is a real power draw, which is around 270w.

Hi @BigSm0 The maximum power of Mars 600 is the calculate result of 120x5,as the chip claims to be 5w. so total is 600w, but in the practical situation, we won't use the maximum power, as when led reach it's highest point of efficiency, it won't become more brighter when the wattage is higher. Also if the chips always using its highest power, it will shorten the lifespan as well. So there is a real power draw, which is around 270w.
I understand. What is the par watts? I don't see it listed anywhere in my searching. I recently found out that a 750 watt kind led only had 165 par watts which is extremely low. Which means the best output is substantial

I understand. What is the par watts? I don't see it listed anywhere in my searching. I recently found out that a 750 watt kind led only had 165 par watts which is extremely low. Which means the best output is substantial
Here is the par watt chart of Mars 600.
Mars600.jpg

I'm looking for the par watts. Based on epistar led and build efficiency. I think that is a ppf chart. But thank you anyways

I'm looking for the par watts. Based on epistar led and build efficiency. I think that is a ppf chart. But thank you anyways
Hi @BigSm0 Thank you! But I just confirmed it with our engineer again, he said that is the par watts chart.

@strakey...do you realise you have posted in the Mars Hydro customer care and aftersales section rather than general LED section..?

Would you like me to Move this thread through to the LED section for you...?

Sure mossy of you feel that it belongs there instead, you are the moderator of course.

Par watts would be how many physical watts are emitted from the light. If it's a 260 watt light it can't have a peak of 980. These numbers as far as I know are based on the efficiency of the unit itself.

Back