Hecno's on going organics

the soil , so today I gathered some horse manure and grated it up , I thing to remember is to make sure it is not fresh , but dried , the reason being you don't know if the horse has been wormed , by time it is dry [ aged ] the worming stuff has gone and you won't kill your worms in your soil mix . what I am after here is the organic mass , As you can see I use a Cheese Grater ,
View attachment 1247446View attachment 1247447
Once I have a pile I spread it over the soil .
View attachment 1247448View attachment 1247449
View attachment 1247462
now I water it with fish pond water and molasses . Ph of fish pond water is 7.6 with molasses added 6.1 which is fine at this stage , 3 liters to water with . damp not wet . Back in a minute . --- I'm back , wife has gone up town so I can have a early beer . :cheers::biggrin: I do prefer horse manure over cow because it is less broken down , 1 stomach not 4 - [ Rumen, Reticulum, Omasum and Abomasum ]. - . So it is a coarser texture
Over the next 8 weeks I will do this 2 more times . The last 4 to 6 weeks I do nothing . All amending I do is in the first 8 weeks . I would have put a layer of blended banana stem over the top , put I cooked the blender , have to save for a new one . :smoking: Well that's it this time around , time to cover the soil and let it be . :cooldance::thumbsup:
View attachment 1247463

Oh the dump truck loads of horse poop I've hauled! LOL! With a large race track close, I had multiple sources. The only negative was quite a few sources were manure and cedar flake. Before regulation, I could get tanker truck loads of brewery waste from a national brewer. I also had tree trimming and grinding trucks dump their freshly chipped limbs in a pile area on my old farm. I'd combind everything with all those and other materials in long wide row. When everything was assembled, the tanker truck would come out and pump it onto the piles. I turned the piles with my tractor. Crazy good compost!
I wish I had 1000th of it on my current small place! LOL!

Good stuff hecno !

Beauveria bassiana

tenor.gif

Gotta see if my EM has that in it.

Last edited:

If that guy was an extension agent for all those years, he must have has a "Coming to Christ" moment for him to change from their "normal" SOP "Standard Operational Procedures".

@hecno These pallets are cheap and sometimes free. Good idea to make soil in this as well as a compost? semi shade? Where do you keep your soil again? as it cooks sun '/semi shade

@hecno These pallets are cheap and sometimes free. Good idea to make soil in this as well as a compost? semi shade? Where do you keep your soil again? as it cooks sun '/semi shade

You don't need to make a compost bin. I've never built one. The closest thing to a "bin" I've ever had was a pile of finished compost put in T-Post and chicken wire container and planted tomatoes around it. LOL!
If you don't make much, a tumbler type composter makes it pretty quick. You can still compost in the winter if it's not super fridgid and you turn daily to keep the heat and composting running. Composting on the ground in winter demands large volumes to help retain the heat and microbial activity running.

Back