Harvest & Curing Grove Bags and Boveda Curing

If they are too wet when they go into the Grove Bags they will mold. If they are too dry they will not cure properly. Test them with a hygrometer in a jar or the grove bag without sealing until ~62% on the hygrometer. Then take out the hygrometer and seal the bag.
@NorseGrower If you have access to a Moisture meter please try to place the probe through one of the denser top colas all the way into the stem. during the drying process. Once the moisture content is between 10-11% it is ready to be placed into the grove bag for the cure and long term storage with no need for burping. Please be aware that not all moisture meters read the exact same so if you stop the cure at 12% moisture content and put in the grove bags and still need to burp you should try to dry down another 1% or 2 and try again. If you have any questions or need any help let us know.

@Sour D If the product is to dry please try to use some un dried sugar or fan leafs(if available). This will help add moisture back to the plant in a natural manner that will not harm the terpene profile.
Gotta figure a new strategy. We had a cold snap and like overnight Humidity went from 60 to 37. I used to dry in a small clothes closet but since going organic my yields have been such as to outgrow that space. May have to try totes with the 320 Bovedas

I just bought a wood moisture meter off Amazon. I've watched YouTube videos suggesting they are close enough to be useful. So we shall see. I'm 7 days in on slow dry.

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_151021.jpg
    IMG_20201231_151021.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
@NorseGrower If you have access to a Moisture meter please try to place the probe through one of the denser top colas all the way into the stem. during the drying process. Once the moisture content is between 10-11% it is ready to be placed into the grove bag for the cure and long term storage with no need for burping. Please be aware that not all moisture meters read the exact same so if you stop the cure at 12% moisture content and put in the grove bags and still need to burp you should try to dry down another 1% or 2 and try again. If you have any questions or need any help let us know.

I have a pinless moisture meter with softwood setting.
Do you think if I cut open a bud and placed it on the pad it would give an accurate reading?

Do you think if I cut open a bud and placed it on the pad it would give an accurate reading?
I suggest contact the manufacturer; only they would know (unless someone on AFN happens to know).

I suspect you could get accurate relative readings, higher moisture reading higher, etc., but that the data might not be calibrated (such as 10% really being 10%) or consistent between devices.

Last edited:
I think at 55°F you are risking mold? 65°F is safer. You want your bud to be 10-11% moisture when they go into the Grove Bags. In a jar that will read ~62% RH. The Brown Bags is just so the remaining moisture in the stems will even out throughout the buds. Once your bud is that dry then put it in the Grove Bags and heat seal. You can use a clothes iron but they are designed for an impulse sealer like this:

View attachment 1270419
@Grove Bags, I have a vacuum packer I use for salmon/halibut that is sealed via heat strip. Will that work for heat sealing? The vacuum packer can be utilized WITHOUT creating a vacuum, just the heat strip.

We have not seen much success using a moisture meter without probes. That being said a any moisture meter is better then no moisture meter.

Back