Outdoor First time grow - northern lights - auto - outdoor

They look a little hungry to me bud. Otherwise looking good and getting ready to stack some frosty nuggets :pighug:
Those pics were taken just before i fed them all... wanted to show how exactly i water them and the wet/dry cycle ive been trying to achieve...
I aint starving them i promise loool!!

Nice one mate seems like theyre gonna be budding up real soon!

Been very cloudy the last few days!!

Today i lowered the fish mix to a half dose and upped the bloom nutes to 1.5x dose. Still looking good as far as i can tell! Left it a little late watering again, but getting used to them being more thirsty now...

Plants 1 & 2

e1cf6cb2cc98b3ca11ce5ebeea25bda7.jpg

Plants 3 & 4

8c380ce158dd07388bafcb32a9878c8d.jpg

Plants 5 & 6

bed6e58b9efa39930e30f8524a47e0b7.jpg

5 close up

7ec87528fd822968ca264eafe65d00ac.jpg

Last edited:

They look real purdy :pass: Nice one!

Looks like they enjoyed the N boost, seem a little darker now. Just keep an eye on the leaves pal. I don't think I'd cut the fish mix completely for a while, stick with this for a bit and see how they fare :woohoo1::woohoo::woohoo1:

I'm planning on cutting N out next feed which will be either today or tomorrow. Sorry for the dumb question but when would you say bloom has started? I know they're in bloom now but you think i should have already cut N out?

So in bloom if plants die off (not at a very fast rate) this is normal & even expected?

Would you consider the tall height and huge internodal length good traits? Is internodal length the space between the start of branches on main stem?

I snipped the leaves the Caterpillar ate because i read somewhere that when leaves are dying/ damaged the plant puts energy into repairing instead of putting it into the healthier parts. Would you agree with this or would you say leave the leaves on regardless of damage?

Sorry for the questions but your post seemed like it has some good useful information just trying to understand it best

Many say to switch to bloom nutes as soon as the stretch stops. Your ladies are looking much better now. I'm of the opinion that plants should only be fed when need be, and not otherwise, since overfertilizing is a massive problem for home cannabis growers.

Tall height and internodal length can have a number of causes: in your case it's likely to be a genetic thing since it looks like they're getting loads of direct sunlight up there!

Internodal length is the length of stem between each set of leaves, vertically, as you go up a stem. They appear to have filled out now though!

I'd repot soon or those pots are going to require really frequent watering...and the wet/dry swings may cause pH issues since the salt concentration will swing.

As for removing leaves: plants let them go when they're ready. I tend to leave em on until they're yellowing and a gentle tug makes them come right off.

Since you're growing outdoors, your nute requirements are significantly higher (nothing beats the sun). You'll need to feed more often than I will in those little pots. IMO--pot up, your plants will be much happier for it!

They look real purdy :pass: Nice one!

Looks like they enjoyed the N boost, seem a little darker now. Just keep an eye on the leaves pal. I don't think I'd cut the fish mix completely for a while, stick with this for a bit and see how they fare :woohoo1::woohoo::woohoo1:
Cheers mate! They do look a little darker im gonna stick with how the last feed was for now!

Many say to switch to bloom nutes as soon as the stretch stops. Your ladies are looking much better now. I'm of the opinion that plants should only be fed when need be, and not otherwise, since overfertilizing is a massive problem for home cannabis growers.

Tall height and internodal length can have a number of causes: in your case it's likely to be a genetic thing since it looks like they're getting loads of direct sunlight up there!

Internodal length is the length of stem between each set of leaves, vertically, as you go up a stem. They appear to have filled out now though!

I'd repot soon or those pots are going to require really frequent watering...and the wet/dry swings may cause pH issues since the salt concentration will swing.

As for removing leaves: plants let them go when they're ready. I tend to leave em on until they're yellowing and a gentle tug makes them come right off.

Since you're growing outdoors, your nute requirements are significantly higher (nothing beats the sun). You'll need to feed more often than I will in those little pots. IMO--pot up, your plants will be much happier for it!
Yeah the overfertilizing is the reason ive been letting the soil dry out a lot before feeds!

They get loads of direct sun! The internodal length at the bottom will be because i got carried away with the snippers early on, i think they would look a lot more filled out and bushy if they were still on.

Yeah next time i go up near the store ill buy some bigger, better quality pots. Even if it is just to make my own life easier by making the feeds less frequent. Havent had any ph issues yet and hoping not to in the future either! Seem like a right nightmare to sort out sometimes.

Yeah I'll let the leaves stay from now on unless they look real bad. Definitely got too carried away at the start after seeing how the plants actually grow and where the bud sites form etc.

Cheers for the advice mate!

Plant 5 still has a purple colour to the top half of most branches. Under side of them are green. Have no idea what this is about or why it has happened? All the others dont have this colour.

Anyone know if this is an issue?

c89a76c8e53f20ffafefc848dc6f714c.jpg
003ffe433e29b5bd2f5d6e859250465f.jpg
c28712946d5b573bab870f48b1d8e428.jpg

Plant 5 still has a purple colour to the top half of most branches. Under side of them are green. Have no idea what this is about or why it has happened? All the others dont have this colour.

Anyone know if this is an issue?

c89a76c8e53f20ffafefc848dc6f714c.jpg
003ffe433e29b5bd2f5d6e859250465f.jpg
c28712946d5b573bab870f48b1d8e428.jpg

From what I've read can be one of many things. Strain, pheno, feeding, etc. One can always be slightly more sensitive to something than others to. No need to worry, looking lush :d5:

From what I've read can be one of many things. Strain, pheno, feeding, etc. One can always be slightly more sensitive to something than others to. No need to worry, looking lush :d5:
Good stuff! Theyre looking great at the moment, plant no.1 seems furthest along at the moment although its the smallest. You can really see the buds starting to form up nicely

Last edited:
Back