New Grower First grow, Royal Dwarf, UK outdoor

Update: In the Jar

Yesterday after another day of up n down weather I busted the damp bags open, poured all the buds into an open cardboard box and stuck the box inside near a cracked open window for airflow.

I think that's done the trick, so after 24hrs of steady conditions instead of this wet, dry, hot, cold, windy, not windy crap, my buds finally felt good.

So 10 days after bagging them I've put them into 2 glass jars each with a hydrometer and left em in a cupboard tonight to see how the RH settles. After 2 hours it was 23 degrees celsius and 68% RH so hopefully it stays around there through the night and we'll be right in the window for curing [emoji3] Hooray!

Dry weight before hitting the jars was 51g down from 225g wet at the start.

So I'll check the jars in the morning and post pics of em too.

Cheers
Swan

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

20170806_010813.jpg
Thanks for the advice man.

I put some in my Amazon basket, ready to click "buy now" just in case I need them!

i use them swan there awesome once you get em to around 62 to 65 on ya meter pop one in and to cure keep it in a dark place not in light as far as i have been shown there some odds and ends I have curing

Update: Equipment checking.

So I was reading last night about calibration of hydrometers on a cigar website and I decided to check mine.

I have 4 that I bought online, all the same make and model.

Out of the 4 they are plus\minus as follows...

No 1 is minus 5%
No 2 is plus 3%
No 3 is minus 5%
No 4 is plus 5%

That's quite a range for the same make and model. So glad I read about checking them before getting too far into curing.

I've put a sticker on each one with the mental adjustment I need to make when reading them (they can't be calibrated to be correct like some models).

I will use both of the minus 5% in my two jars to keep things relatively uniform.

If you don't know about checking the hydrometers here's a cut and paste....

1. Place a teaspoon of salt in a bottle cap or small cup and dampen it with a few drops of water (without dissolving it).

2. Carefully place the wet salt and the hygrometer inside a see-through container and close tightly. You can use a zip lock bag provided it seals well and you leave some air inside as well.

3. Let it sit for at least 6 hours and note the reading on the hygrometer without opening the container. The hygrometer should should read 75%. The difference is how much your hygrometer is off. For example, if your hygrometer reads 70% during the salt method test this means that to obtain the real humidity level you should add 5 points.

4. If you have an analog hygrometer, you can correct the reading. You will need to adjust the needle to the 75% mark by turning the screw on the back using a small screwdriver. Your hygrometer is now ready to be placed inside your humidor.

Cheers
Swan

An easier way is to chuck the hygrometers in a zip lock bag with some boveda packs.

Sent from my red IBM Selectric
well in pal :pass:also swan i have 1 plant in brown bags drying in my shed and 2 plants to go they will both be down in 10 days i recon also after a week in jars they should start to smell nice and stinky mine always have

The postman delivered me some goodies today... [emoji2]
Buzzing ready to sample your wares all mine are down now I have 3 drying in bags mold set in on both so I just finished the last girl 10 mins ago keep us updated how she turns out smoke wise its been a pleasure chatting with ya pal
8f7d3e6475bd39e0e34d582e0d992b61.jpg

6573101747b4762c54c50e8a55aa8f75.jpg

500bc92197e267760480eb90fd7cd139.jpg

Back