New Grower First grow, humbolt caramel cream (8-3-22)

I don’t want to give advice as I am still very new. This research paper has a lot of good information about bottom watering in coco.

According to the paper in a bottom watering/SIP system the top 2 layers (they divided the depth into 5 layers) has a higher concentration of salinity than a top fed system. However, the bottom 3 layers of a SIP system has much lower salinity levels than the top fed system. Greater soil moisture level -> less salinity in coco. Also, taller pots (greater than 15 cm) had a better yield and better distribution of salinity than shorter pots in a SIP system. I do believe they flushed the SIP system at least once in their study - not entirely certain.

I would say your concerns about establishing roots on the top half of the medium is entirely valid if I understood the paper correctly.

Based on those results it makes sense to me to top water initially so that the roots can initially establish themselves in the top half of the pot then switch to bottom watering so roots can seek out the bottom half.

Again, I don’t want to be prescriptive as I am very new to all this.
Well its ok with me. I dont mind suggestions or advice as long as you arent rude about it, and I'll always be welcome to research study info. Im considering doing this just because watering this plant is a pain. Its so short and bushy its hard not to damage stuff and not splash water everywhere.

Now with a wicking style base like this is there a maximum pot size? All I have right now are a bunch of 5gal. Im skeptical about water wicking to the top 3rd of the pot, because right now the top of my soil is littered with roots. All you gotta do is move the soil slightly and you'll see em everywhere. But I suppose if Im only watering from the bottom the roots will probably only grow straight down
the soil/medium sucks it up to the top soil

i mean mine do because i have mine sitting in water/nutes, not sure about those little piece of rope wicking that much up.

i grow carrot style roots when i chop my plants lol so i know the water is making it up to the top for me

The wicking isn't what distributes the water through the soil. It only provides the contact between the pot and the reservoir. The capillary action of the roots pulls the water up and distributes it evenly throughout the medium. The top inch or two will get dry but thats not really an issue ,but you can get a cover or put down mulch and it will stay moist. Probably not a good idea to switch to bottom feeding this late in a grow but, I'm no expert.
Im just thinking for the next go around. If im doing 3 plants its gonna be hard to work in my 3x3. So if all I gotta do is fill up a saucer or a container every couple days to water that would be nice.

Well, I’ve done academic research in economics and sometimes I’ll misinterpret an economics study if it’s not my speciality. So, please take my interpretations with a huge grain of salt lol. I don’t know what I don’t know regarding anything about growing plants!

Im just thinking for the next go around. If im doing 3 plants its gonna be hard to work in my 3x3. So if all I gotta do is fill up a saucer or a container every couple days to water that would be nice.
Then you will want autopots with a 13gallon reservoir. those wicking saucers won't hold days worth in flower

Flowering day 6
Did my first major defoliation today. Cut out all the growth from ther tertiary branch nodes from all my main tops besides the main fan leaves, from the 3rd node of the branches down. Will be finishing this part of the defoliation later on this upcoming week. Didnt wanna over do it though since this plant has been stressed so much already. Basically the start of my lollipopping. Phone is charging right now so I couldnt get pics, was way to baked last night, will add some later. Also gave her some plain ph'd distilled water, about 2/3s of a gallon since ahe was starting to droop a bit. Glad that she has been standing tall lately though. This grow has shown me a lot about balancing water and nutrients, literally had no clue when I planted this one what I was getting into but Im still having a blast. Hopefully we'll see some improvement in my next go around.

Did my first major defoliation today. Cut out all the growth from ther tertiary branch nodes from all my main tops besides the main fan leaves, from the 3rd node of the branches down. Will be finishing this part of the defoliation later on this upcoming week. Didnt wanna over do it though since this plant has been stressed so much already. Basically the start of my lollipopping. Phone is charging right now so I couldnt get pics, was way to baked last night, will add some later. Also gave her some plain ph'd distilled water, about 2/3s of a gallon since ahe was starting to droop a bit. Glad that she has been standing tall lately though. This grow has shown me a lot about balancing water and nutrients, literally had no clue when I planted this one what I was getting into but Im still having a blast. Hopefully we'll see some improvement in my next go around.
Heres some pics of the plant. Defoliation might have been a little much, only been a few hours but shes definitely showing signs of some shock but Im sure she'll recover quick
20221014_113730.jpg
20221014_113742.jpg
20221014_113815.jpg

Back