EC understanding ..help please.

I don’t know how my post made it into this section but I swear by LST! I grew my first 2 grows without and I know every strain is different but I was getting anywhere between 28 to 40 g per plant since LST that has gone up to 40 to 60 even 75g per. I also grow in a small tent 3x3 but only do 3 plants at a time. They grow smaller but bushy
I done lemon ak and didnt lst then done them with lst the next time got 350g of 4 but never got below 200 without lst. The worst I've managed is 50g per plant

So in your opinion, more colas is better than one main cola?
The strain I grow never grows more than a foot or so.
I could LST, but the plant naturally makes a main cola about 10cm or 3 inches and about 20-30 grams.
So , in my case , I question if there is actual value in LST given the plants size.
I grow in a 2x4 tent and manage 10 plants in this space.
My med license lets me do 70.
So it may be worth try this summer as my plants are ready for harvest in about 90 days.
I don't know what plant size is with this strain (stawdawg) but it's a 10week from start to finish so I kept with it lol. Wish I could get a healthy grow though to see full potential. Sure it was meant to be about 90-120cm but obviously I topped and lst. Might go all natural next ones to see about the main colas

Going forward.
Mix your espom salt to 50ppm before your nutes.
Then take your nutes to the prescribed level and feed.

Going forward.
Funny enough the Mrs got some Epsom salt other day lol. What does it do then. What you think the cause of it is on the leaves.

Going forward.
When talking to fellow growers it is important to know which scale you are using otherwise you may, overfeed or underfeed your plants.

Here is a chart showing the different scales

1587042621665.png

Nutrient-concentration-conversions-EC-PPM-CF.jpg

In the above chart Hanna & Dutch Master are 500 scale
Truncheon is shown as 700 scale (truncheon can also show 500 scale, CF & EC)
The most popular scales are 500 scale and 700 scale and EC.

Different nutrient companies use different scale to measure their nutes and also give feeding advice in the scale the use.

WHAT PPM SCALE IS YOUR NUTRIENT FORMULA REFERRING TO?
Manufacturer Scale

Advanced Nutrients 700 scale

Botanicare 700 scale

Cutting Edge Solutions 500 scale

Dutch Master 500 scale

Dyna-Gro 500 scale

FoxFarm 700 scale using dechlorinated tap water

General Hydroponics 500 scale using reverse osmosis water

General Organics 500 scale using reverse osmosis water

House & Garden 700 scale

Humboldt Nutrients 500 scale

Hydro Organics/ Earth Juice 500 scale

Miller Chemical & Fertilizer

Nectar for the Gods 700 scale

Rock Nutrients 700 scale

Roots Organics 500 scale

Soul Synthetics 500 scale

Technaflora 500 scale

There are a number of different scales of measurement for PPM, here is the nitty-gritty:

PPM MEASURES PARTS PER MILLION.
PPM is known as dimensionless quantities; that is, they are pure numbers with no associated units of measurement. A mass concentration of 2mg/kg – 2 parts per million – 2ppm – 2 x 10-6.

There are many different scales used for different industries around the world and for many different reasons! Did you know there are more than two scales? The most widely used scales in Hydroponics are the 500 scale, 650 scale and the 700 scale.

CF AND EC ARE MEASURES OF ELECTRICALLY-CHARGED NUTRIENT IONS IN A SOLUTION.
Pure water will not conduct electricity. Water usually conducts electricity because it is full of impurities (in our case, electrically charged nutrient ions). The two black dots on the end of Bluelab nutrient probes are called electrodes. When they are placed in a solution, an electrical current passes from one electrode to the other, counting the number of electrically charged ions present. This represents the units measured – CF or EC.

WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?
The ppm 700 scale is based on measuring the KCl or potassium chloride content of a solution. The ppm 500 is based on measuring the NaCl or sodium chloride content of a solution and is also referred to as TDS – total dissolved solids. Individual nutrient ions have different electrical effects! The true ppm of a solution can only be determined by a chemical analysis. ppm cannot be accurately measured by a CF or EC meter. They are present on Bluelab products as a conversion guide only. The conversion is the following:

2.4EC x 500 = 1200ppm (500 scale) or 1200ppm / 500 = 2.4EC

2.4EC x 700 = 1680ppm (700 scale) or 1680ppm / 700 = 2.4EC

If written instructions say you should grow your crop at 1100 ppm – how do you know which scale the author is referring to? Is the scale on your ppm meter right for the job? If the contents were compiled in the USA, it could be the 650 or 500 scale. If the book is written in the UK, it could be the 700 scale. If it was from Australia, it could be any of the three!

If you grow using ppm, you will need to know the following:

• What ppm scale is the book referring to?
  • What ppm scale is your meter using?
  • Which standard or calibration solution should you use for your meter?
  • What ppm scale is the nutrient formula referring to?
copied and pasted from - https://www.thegoodearthorganics.com/tips/ppm/

Funny enough the Mrs got some Epsom salt other day lol. What does it do then. What you think the cause of it is on the leaves.
Epsom salts are excellent as a muscle soak in the bath!
It can be used to sort out Magnesium def.
1 tablespoon per gallon or 1 teaspoon per liter will do the trick.
Put epsom salt in small vessel and add warm water to it to dissolve it then add to main quantity of water.
I like to use it as a foliar spray if a plant shows mag def, the magnesium gets to where it is needed quicker that being transported through the plant via the roots.
Honestly though in coco, which is a calcium hog, locking it up so it is not available to the plant I recommend using a proprietary Cla/Mag solution.
This is especially so if you are growing under LEDs.
I would also advise to buy a Cal/Mag with added iron as iron is often overlooked and is very important for plant growth.

Epsom salts are excellent as a muscle soak in the bath!
It can be used to sort out Magnesium def.
1 tablespoon per gallon or 1 teaspoon per liter will do the trick.
Put epsom salt in small vessel and add warm water to it to dissolve it then add to main quantity of water.
I like to use it as a foliar spray if a plant shows mag def, the magnesium gets to where it is needed quicker that being transported through the plant via the roots.
Honestly though in coco, which is a calcium hog, locking it up so it is not available to the plant I recommend using a proprietary Cla/Mag solution.
This is especially so if you are growing under LEDs.
I would also advise to buy a Cal/Mag with added iron as iron is often overlooked and is very important for plant growth.
Thanks I must have a look at my meter and chart to see what scale it's using. I have been using calmag it's density calmag and I am using a Mars Hydro 3000.

When talking to fellow growers it is important to know which scale you are using otherwise you may, overfeed or underfeed your plants.

Here is a chart showing the different scales

View attachment 1179476
Nutrient-concentration-conversions-EC-PPM-CF.jpg

In the above chart Hanna & Dutch Master are 500 scale
Truncheon is shown as 700 scale (truncheon can also show 500 scale, CF & EC)
The most popular scales are 500 scale and 700 scale and EC.

Different nutrient companies use different scale to measure their nutes and also give feeding advice in the scale the use.

WHAT PPM SCALE IS YOUR NUTRIENT FORMULA REFERRING TO?
Manufacturer Scale

Advanced Nutrients 700 scale

Botanicare 700 scale

Cutting Edge Solutions 500 scale

Dutch Master 500 scale

Dyna-Gro 500 scale

FoxFarm 700 scale using dechlorinated tap water

General Hydroponics 500 scale using reverse osmosis water

General Organics 500 scale using reverse osmosis water

House & Garden 700 scale

Humboldt Nutrients 500 scale

Hydro Organics/ Earth Juice 500 scale

Miller Chemical & Fertilizer

Nectar for the Gods 700 scale

Rock Nutrients 700 scale

Roots Organics 500 scale

Soul Synthetics 500 scale

Technaflora 500 scale

There are a number of different scales of measurement for PPM, here is the nitty-gritty:

PPM MEASURES PARTS PER MILLION.
PPM is known as dimensionless quantities; that is, they are pure numbers with no associated units of measurement. A mass concentration of 2mg/kg – 2 parts per million – 2ppm – 2 x 10-6.

There are many different scales used for different industries around the world and for many different reasons! Did you know there are more than two scales? The most widely used scales in Hydroponics are the 500 scale, 650 scale and the 700 scale.

CF AND EC ARE MEASURES OF ELECTRICALLY-CHARGED NUTRIENT IONS IN A SOLUTION.
Pure water will not conduct electricity. Water usually conducts electricity because it is full of impurities (in our case, electrically charged nutrient ions). The two black dots on the end of Bluelab nutrient probes are called electrodes. When they are placed in a solution, an electrical current passes from one electrode to the other, counting the number of electrically charged ions present. This represents the units measured – CF or EC.

WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?
The ppm 700 scale is based on measuring the KCl or potassium chloride content of a solution. The ppm 500 is based on measuring the NaCl or sodium chloride content of a solution and is also referred to as TDS – total dissolved solids. Individual nutrient ions have different electrical effects! The true ppm of a solution can only be determined by a chemical analysis. ppm cannot be accurately measured by a CF or EC meter. They are present on Bluelab products as a conversion guide only. The conversion is the following:

2.4EC x 500 = 1200ppm (500 scale) or 1200ppm / 500 = 2.4EC

2.4EC x 700 = 1680ppm (700 scale) or 1680ppm / 700 = 2.4EC

If written instructions say you should grow your crop at 1100 ppm – how do you know which scale the author is referring to? Is the scale on your ppm meter right for the job? If the contents were compiled in the USA, it could be the 650 or 500 scale. If the book is written in the UK, it could be the 700 scale. If it was from Australia, it could be any of the three!

If you grow using ppm, you will need to know the following:

• What ppm scale is the book referring to?
  • What ppm scale is your meter using?
  • Which standard or calibration solution should you use for your meter?
  • What ppm scale is the nutrient formula referring to?
copied and pasted from - https://www.thegoodearthorganics.com/tips/ppm/
So do the meters read different scales? Here is mine

Attachments

• DSC_0451.JPG
    DSC_0451.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 30
Back