Lighting DIY Cob Building. Safety first! [ELECTRICAL SAFETY ADVICE]

It's all very simple and fairly safe if you use safe wiring techniques.

If you wanted to build something custom there is definitely need for tools. But there is actually one frame I read about last week that can be purchased for around $60. The rest of it is all worked out by the pioneers of cob building. For the past 2 years there are thousands of people that have worked every angle of the builds and pairing of parts. All the info you would ever need is right here on the Internet.

This is my recent build using 80/20 aluminum extrusion. Cutting it can be tricky but a metal blade in a chop saw or even an angle grinder could work. Little messy but worst case. The rest of it is just nuts and bolts.
image.jpeg

First you would simply lock the cobs into the holders, apply the thermal pad or thermal paste and screw then to the pin heat sink. Next screw the driver and heat sinks to the premade frame and wire it all up. Cob technology has evolved to being that simple. With the ideal cob holders and the mentioned above items, soldering isn't even required. Just a screwdriver, wire stripper and wire crimper is all that's needed.

Super Thread - Member Safety First!!

I've made it a sticky and capitalised the title a bit to make it instantly available (save some stoner moments)

@arty zan - Do you think it may be worth adding a list of qualified electrician members that us non electrical folk could @ tag before we do something silly?? ^_^

Perhaps add it to the bottom of the first post? Just a safety thought (i'm sure you're all mostly qualified if you're posting here!)

Thanks blue. Love your hair btw!:pighug:

Hopefully this can open some eyes. Low voltage wiring until you connect the Ac adapter then it becomes real.

I just daydreamed for a second to my first build. I remembered when I plugged it in and when it worked how relieved I was. I had the tightest hold on the plug in case things weren't right. Pretty crazy if you think about it. Here I was nervous about something I built powered by electricity. I'm sure I'm not the only one which is kinda scary.

Super Thread - Member Safety First!!

I've made it a sticky and capitalised the title a bit to make it instantly available (save some stoner moments)

@arty zan - Do you think it may be worth adding a list of qualified electrician members that us non electrical folk could @ tag before we do something silly?? ^_^

Perhaps add it to the bottom of the first post? Just a safety thought (i'm sure you're all mostly qualified if you're posting here!)
Thanks Blue!

Posting qulaified Electrical people sounds a great idea too.

I prefer to use these;)
pvc-insulation-tape.jpg

LED_strip_light_screw_terminal_4_wire__86537.1370322478.386.300.jpg

same, wagos take up too much room and they don't grip the little wires for fans and stuff., but mostly i just use solder and shrink wrap, a skill every diyer shoudl learn

however i recently found these 221 wago connectors

00264379_0.jpg

http://www.wago.us/products/termina...-for-all-conductor-types-221-series/overview/

they r tiny!!! like less than a cm wide and flat and clear so you can see if your wire is in good

the best!

IS EVERYONE GROUNDING THIER HEATSINKS????
me neither, just attach teh wires properly lol

Back