Dinafem Dinafem OG Kush - RainScience GrowBag Test & Round1 2019 Grow Battle (Only1Sky)

It's been a tough start to this diary with one surviving lady. Fingers crossed my friend :pass:

How is she doing since the COB burning?

All the best

Mark..
Shocking ... it's like nothing happened to her -- except a few weeks in a coma. Here she is at day 39. Her stretch is so dramatic & sudden that I decided to top her. That's some strong genetics, I'd say.
39.OGK.JPG

Shocking ... it's like nothing happened to her -- except a few weeks in a coma. Here she is at day 39. Her stretch is so dramatic & sudden that I decided to top her. That's some strong genetics, I'd say.
View attachment 1023304

Looks totally unaffected mate, maybe a touch small for her age. Apart from that you would not know she had a tough start :pass:

Thanks for the added picture buddy :thumbsup:

All the best

Mark..

Cool, now bring on the show in Skys garden Kushy!:pass:

Well, its been a while since I've posted here ... that's because with only a single plant in this grow, and the fact that I was making weekly postings of her in both the Dinafem and General Battle threads, it seemed redundant to post the same pics here too. But for the sake of consolidating and documenting the whole journey in one place, I'll try to fill in this journal.

The previous post showed her at 39 days, shortly after awakening from her coma and showing some decent growth. You can see her here in the left rear of the tent -- tallest of the group.
40.Tent a.JPG

She had put out such rapid stretch that I thought maybe she could handle being topped .... so, here's her before and after topping pics:

40.OGK before.JPG
40.OGK after.JPG

Here we are at day 49 and starting to flower. The topping seemed to have stopped her stretch dead in its tracks -- not exactly my intention as I was hoping for bifurcation stretch and some strong side branch development. Didn't happen. Also some stress on a few lower leaves, but that might just be residual damage for the earlier days.

Temperatures & RH have been very constant between 72-78 F and 47-52 % RH.

49.OGK.JPG

Day 57 and looking much healthier now. Today she got her periodic (about every 10 days) feed of ReCharge with SLF-100. Other days, when she's thirsty, its about a liter+ of MegaCrop with Greenleaf's Bud Explosion and Sweet Candy, and of course a strong dose of Calmg. She's sitting right under her own CobShop light.

57.OGK b.JPG
57.OGK d.JPG

Notice the funny-looking tiered structure that is clearly evident in the next photo. I reckon this is a result of the topping and poor start. No LST has been done.
57.OGK c.JPG

Day 65 now. We seem to have the environment and feed-mix pretty well dialed-in. Miss OG Kush seems quite happy, but isn't likely to do more than what we see here.

65.OGK a.JPG
65.OGK b.JPG

Starting to get a bit crowed in the tent. OGK is in the left rear, and getting a bit nudged by the agressive Zamnesia Caramel to her right. Standing guard in front are 3 Mephisto 4-Assed Monkeys. You also may notice the tell-tale yellow sticky cards .... yep, been fighting a fungus gnat attack. This is my first time with the gnats, and they're giving me a tough time. I've been hitting them for the past couple of weeks with neem oil spray and mosquito bits (Bacillus thuringiensis v. israelensis) soaked in the feed bucket. Today I spread a thin layer of Diatomaceous earth across all the pots. So far the score is .... Gnats 1, Sky 0

65.Tent.JPG

Day 71 and the flowers, such as we have, are maturing quite nicely. I grew this Dinafem OG Kush strain in last September's Grower of the Year Battle, and got a lovely 5.3 oz (150 gr) yield of luscious medicine. I dare say we'll be paltry this time, but as long as the quality is there, I'll be happy. Plus, I've learned a bunch about what not to do in the early grow days.

71.OGK a.JPG
71.OGK d.JPG

Oh ... you can see the Diatomaceous earth (DE) being soaked into the soil. Seems to me like if you are top-feeding, as I am, then the DE will rapidly dissolve/dissipate and cease to form an effective barrier ... :shrug: Maybe I'm doing it wrong; maybe the layer of DE needs to be much, much thicker ?? So I tried that -- put down a huge amount of DE, about 1/8 inch thick.

Last edited:
Day 78. Plant continues to mature, starting to put out a nice sweet perfume now. Couple of cloudy trichs. As for the thick DE.... ugh. It coagulated into a thick, hard, crusty covering. Very slow for water to seep through, and I think it simply morphed from a deadly powder for the gnats into a lovely hard-top surface for them to dance across. I've had to chisel it up into smaller chunks just so I could get the watering done. :smoking:

78.OGK a.JPG
78.OGK c.JPG

Back