Lighting Bigsm0 and the cob addiction

Thats not unusual. Even so called "purple" strain often are at best 50/50 color to green. just a pheotype
Snipped a couple buds off. The left one is 10grams and the right is 16 grams. They are some of the densest buds I have held. What concerns me is they were both grown identically and the left one is very purple while the right is as green as they come. View attachment 885741

Snipped a couple buds off. The left one is 10grams and the right is 16 grams. They are some of the densest buds I have held. What concerns me is they were both grown identically and the left one is very purple while the right is as green as they come. View attachment 885741

Why-are-some-strains-of-marijuana-purple-320x169.jpg

emma-ryte-weedseedshop.jpg

by Emma Ryte on 20/02/2017

Purple buds are nature’s way of showing us that cannabis is colourful, too. But what is it exactly in these particular strains that make them purple, and can they be recreated in the garden? Read this article to find out what characteristic makes strains purple and how you can grow your own purple buds.
Purple bud has long been a coveted type of marijuana among smokers. Purple marijuana is usually associated with being a stronger, more potent weed, and therefore is well-desired in the marijuana community. For others, having their hands on purple marijuana is just an easy way to impress friends, and means more fun colours to add to the marijuana experience. Whichever reason it is that purple marijuana is so sought after, there is a lot more to the purple colour of marijuana than just a colourful tint.

In fact, there are certain growing conditions in which marijuana strains are more likely to turn purple. In order for a marijuana plant to successfully turn purple, it also must contain certain chemicals that are not necessarily present in other strains of marijuana in high amount. And this is why other strains do not turn green, even with the presence of colour-changing chemicals. There are even ways that you can encourage your marijuana to turn purple, if purple buds are what you would like to harvest next season.

Strains high in anthocaynin
The secret to the beautiful purple colour that happens on some marijuana strains is a chemical called anthocaynin. Strains that come out purple are doing so because of a high volume of this chemical, otherwise not present in other strains of marijuana. Anthocaynin is the same thing that makes eggplants and blueberries purple, and so it is also present in a lot of fruits and vegetables. It has the quality of turning things purple, as well as other properties that are very good for the body.

Chlorophyll is the chemical that gives marijuana and most plants their beautiful green colour, and is usually a dominant pigment when there are other chemicals present. However, in the correct climates, the chlorophyll begins to break down, and when large amounts of anthocaynin are present, the leaves begin to turn purple. In fact, this breakdown of chlorophyll occurs in all marijuana plants, but in most cases the leaves begin to turn yellow or brown, and in some cases blue. In strains high in anthocaynin, the leaves and buds begin to turn purple. This means that the buds do not in fact turn purple until a couple of weeks before they are due to be harvested.

purple-cannabis-1024x1024.jpg

Creating the right environment for purple bud
Of course, the trick to having purple bud is beginning with strains that are high in the chemical anthocaynin. There are some strains for which seeds can be purchased that are naturally high in anthocaynin. This means that not too much work is required on the grower’s part to make the bud actually turn purple. However, there are some things that growers can do during the life cycle of their marijuana plant to encourage the purple colour to be more vibrant.

Some strains that are already high in anthocaynin include Haze Berry, Blueberry Kush, Bluematic, and Northern Lights Automatic. It is important to choose a strain that contains the natural properties for turning purple before harvest, because it’s highly unlikely that those lacking in anthocaynin will turn purple.

Once a grower has chosen a strain that is high in the purple-creating pigment, changing conditions during the flowering stage can assist the pigment to come out stronger. This usually occurs in the fall months when the marijuana is growing outdoors because of cooler temperatures experienced in the night-time. So if you are growing outdoors, nature will look after this for you, as long as you can match up the flowering stage to the fall months. If you are growing indoors, you can turn the temperature down slightly during the night cycle in the flowering stage. It should be below 10 degrees centigrade, and the buds should begin to turn purple just a couple of weeks before harvest!

Benefits of anthocaynin
Well, a pretty purple bud is very interesting to look at, but does it offer the user something other than its beautiful colour? Purple marijuana is usually sought after because it is generally stronger than other strains of marijuana, but is that necessarily true? The colour of the strain does not actually contribute to the strength of it, but the presence of anthocaynin can offer the user some medicinal properties.

Anthocaynin is an excellent antioxidant that appears in a lot of other foods, including other purple ones such as blackberries. If the amount of anthocaynin present in a strain of marijuana is extremely high, it’s possible that the user might receive some of the antioxidants in anthocaynin, probably when ingested orally.

Hope this helps

Thats not unusual. Even so called "purple" strain often are at best 50/50 color to green. just a pheotype

I was surprised to see it more so since I have grown close to 40 of these and not seen any purple yet. There are definitly some major differences in the phenos. I have 4 that are 1/4 the size of the bigger ones.

I was gifted some White Jems. All 16 I planted were purple..........lol! Was told the purple had been bred out or so he thought. Genetics keep lots of backup copies!

I was surprised to see it more so since I have grown close to 40 of these and not seen any purple yet. There are definitly some major differences in the phenos. I have 4 that are 1/4 the size of the bigger ones.

Trimming 1-2 hours a night. Day 3 and I haven’t put a dent in it. Everyone wants to grow big plants till it’s time to trim:rofl:
image.jpg

This stuff burns your eyes, smells like straight diesel fuel.
image.jpg

Version 2 AutoGorilla, Not sure on yield yet, it seems like a lot of buds and they are very dense. Just not as many of the big torpedos. Time will tell.

I was gifted some White Jems. All 16 I planted were purple..........lol! Was told the purple had been bred out or so he thought. Genetics keep lots of backup copies!
This is the reason I want to breed my own. I know it’s luck of the draw but if I can isolate the bigger phenos id be happy. These version 2 gorillas are much different than the originals. The originals is what I fell in love with.

Back