Lighting Bigsm0 and the cob addiction

I look forward to some idea as to what PPFD readings you are getting at this lower wattage/sq ft level.
I understand that the "sweet spot " for weed is from 26 to 40 DLI....but with my own restricted outdoor set-up I am getting a yield (albeit not huge) from DLI reading of 10.6 !!! (PPFD 295, daylength 10 hours)
Maybe the tolerance spread is much larger than we think...hence your obvious success at lower wattages than we would normally expect.

I just got a bag to test and their candy additive. I've seen some good results and it's cheap. So how many watts over your grow space?
Another power outage today so I was down to 160 watts over the 4x10 lol. Luckily I can unplug a few here and there. I’m still holding strong at 440 watts over the whole space. Things are still doing what they should be. I did buy another piece of copper and brackets so I can hang a second row too. Get rid of that big frame and run all singles from here on out.

I look forward to some idea as to what PPFD readings you are getting at this lower wattage/sq ft level.
I understand that the "sweet spot " for weed is from 26 to 40 DLI....but with my own restricted outdoor set-up I am getting a yield (albeit not huge) from DLI reading of 10.6 !!! (PPFD 295, daylength 10 hours)
Maybe the tolerance spread is much larger than we think...hence your obvious success at lower wattages than we would normally expect.
I should have the charge cord tomorrow for my par meter. Delivery was delayed today due to snow but I will get these numbers for you ASAP. As far as comparison goes you’re at 295 for 10 hours? I bet we are very close. My cobs are very high without reflectors and they are spread much wider than most would run them.

Yep... Measured at noon I am getting 295 PPFD. My courtyard where I grow is enclosed on 3 sides and thus the sun arrives at about 8 am and leaves at about 6 pm.
This is where I get confused about PPFD.........for indoor grows, where the light level is constant and known, it is easy to do the math and get a good DLI answer, but for sunlight the PPFD will vary from dawn to dusk, so how does one get a single answer for PPFD in natural light. I know for a fact that my PPFD at noon is 295, but it is nowhere near this at 9.00 am, or 2.30 pm , or in fact at any other time except noon !!! so how to get a single reading to plug into the equation for DLI ??

I have read up all I can find (both anecdotal and scientific) about this issue and I am still confused !!!
Once my COB's arrive this issue will cease to be of concern :biggrin: :bow:

Hey! Even I am a Megacrop user now! I'm convinced! Growing the best crop I've ever had right now!

Well @Dabber you talked me into it. @Greenleaf Nutrients all the way for the next run and hopefully forever. I can’t tell you how excited I am to support this company after doing some research. I message them on IG and within a few minutes I had a reply. Try doing that with anyone else.
Who’s pocket gets fat at general hydroponics? @pop22

Another power outage today so I was down to 160 watts over the 4x10 lol. Luckily I can unplug a few here and there. I’m still holding strong at 440 watts over the whole space. Things are still doing what they should be. I did buy another piece of copper and brackets so I can hang a second row too. Get rid of that big frame and run all singles from here on ]
Thats the same space the 3 amare se450's were hanging over?

Yep... Measured at noon I am getting 295 PPFD. My courtyard where I grow is enclosed on 3 sides and thus the sun arrives at about 8 am and leaves at about 6 pm.
This is where I get confused about PPFD.........for indoor grows, where the light level is constant and known, it is easy to do the math and get a good DLI answer, but for sunlight the PPFD will vary from dawn to dusk, so how does one get a single answer for PPFD in natural light. I know for a fact that my PPFD at noon is 295, but it is nowhere near this at 9.00 am, or 2.30 pm , or in fact at any other time except noon !!! so how to get a single reading to plug into the equation for DLI ??

I have read up all I can find (both anecdotal and scientific) about this issue and I am still confused !!!
Once my COB's arrive this issue will cease to be of concern :biggrin: :bow:

If i got the concept of DLI right, then it would make close to no difference changing the lightcycle as long as the PPFD is changed too so the result stays the same.

So for your "problem" i would suggest to do a reading every hour ( or half an hour ), then sum them all up and take the average value. This can be used for DLI calculation.

If i got the concept of DLI right, then it would make close to no difference changing the lightcycle as long as the PPFD is changed too so the result stays the same.

So for your "problem" i would suggest to do a reading every hour ( or half an hour ), then sum them all up and take the average value. This can be used for DLI calculation.

Thanks for that, I guess it would give me a value that is pretty close. Even though an average value does not take into account that the sun strength is not linear over time (bell curve of normal distribution) it at least gives me a relative number.

As I said, once I change to a COB based indoor grow, the point is moot anyway :toke:

Back