Lighting Bigsm0 and the cob addiction

Drip rings? They are prone to plugging up, a pump is needed, then you have to monkey around learning to adjust flow rate, timers, ..... cheaper maybe , better? Not on your life! There are enough auto pot users on here now to prove it too. And no, they don't flood. The only user here that had a flood was op error, not the product. The only fault with auto pots is the small tubing. Yet, since switching nutrients I've not had a clog, even with Megacrop's known residue! Just for giggles I ran the system for 6 months without cleaning the lines, not one clog. IMO, auto pots are superior to all but true hydro, and hydro is a fussy pain in the ass, two grows in DWC was enough for me. Auto pots keep your plants perfectly watered and and at a consistent moister content in the medium, never too wet, never to dry, impossible with a drip system! You can top water if you like, but for me, the best thing ever was to get away from top watering and hand watering.
Also, with bottom watering, the top inch of medium dries. Sprinkle some DE on that dry medium and you have a bug barrier, and from what I've seen on here, the qaulity of bagged coco has gone to hell and people are having issues with thrips and white flies, etc from contaminated coco, that would sure help!

Airdomes... i'm thoroughly unconvinced they are worth bothering with, and why complicate such a simple system. Same goes for pumps in the res, a waste of time and money, and your adding heat to a nutrient solution, that's asking for trouble.

Personally I love organic in auto pots! Just add water! What could be simpler.
My feelings 100%
I swapped to biotabs as nutes when I swapped over to autopots and have only ever put water in the system. Never had a single blockage or leak.
When I first decided I read all the reviews from people stating they could flood etc so I brought a 1.5m2 kids paddling pool and 6 autopots fit inside perfectly.
I changed over to a 200l flexi tank as well and that has a channel under it so if it breaks it floods the pool.
Really didn't want 200l coming through my upstairs ceiling:)
Luckily it's a precaution I haven't needed it yet :)

Drip rings? They are prone to plugging up, a pump is needed, then you have to monkey around learning to adjust flow rate, timers, ..... cheaper maybe , better? Not on your life! There are enough auto pot users on here now to prove it too. And no, they don't flood. The only user here that had a flood was op error, not the product. The only fault with auto pots is the small tubing. Yet, since switching nutrients I've not had a clog, even with Megacrop's known residue! Just for giggles I ran the system for 6 months without cleaning the lines, not one clog. IMO, auto pots are superior to all but true hydro, and hydro is a fussy pain in the ass, two grows in DWC was enough for me. Auto pots keep your plants perfectly watered and and at a consistent moister content in the medium, never too wet, never to dry, impossible with a drip system! You can top water if you like, but for me, the best thing ever was to get away from top watering and hand watering.
Also, with bottom watering, the top inch of medium dries. Sprinkle some DE on that dry medium and you have a bug barrier, and from what I've seen on here, the qaulity of bagged coco has gone to hell and people are having issues with thrips and white flies, etc from contaminated coco, that would sure help!

Airdomes... i'm thoroughly unconvinced they are worth bothering with, and why complicate such a simple system. Same goes for pumps in the res, a waste of time and money, and your adding heat to a nutrient solution, that's asking for trouble.

Personally I love organic in auto pots! Just add water! What could be simpler.
Well you and I grow COMPLETELY different. And I will disagree with many of your statements. Airdomes work excellent, but using huge pots and organics won't show you the advantage of them. Top feeding is superior for Coco growers, it helps flush the medium of salts vs bathing in them. Setting up a large garden of Autopots will cost you a lot. For me, using a pump, timer, And doing some minor adjustments is better for my needs because I prefer smaller pots. Autopots work fine for people who want to go the Organic only feed water method. But if you are using nutes and Coco, Autopots will extend your total growth length and your plants will get massive.

AUTOPOTS might be superior for your personal needs. But to claim they are better for everyone is false. Any drip system can clog or flood, so can Autopots. I am giving people a viable option for Automated feeding. I will argue and stand by the fact top feeding Coco is better for my needs. That is all that matters. For you, bottom feeding plain water and Organics is better. That is all that matters. Autopots are expensive and not right for everyone's needs. I wasted a ton of money on them, because my growing method works better for my needs. Being gravity fed means no pump or timer, which is great for vacation. But I had Autopots and Blumats both FAIL and flood in the past while on vacation....so they are not fool proof. That being said, Automated plants save time, money, and nutes...but the superior method is really your personal preference and needs.

This plant didn't need an airdome........

View attachment 990836
My point exactly, Autopots are not for everyone! That plant looks like big, but not pretty. How long did it go?. If you want to see the benefits of Airdomes you have to treat your plants like Hydro. A HUGE pot of Soil,Promix, Coco, ect will not get the same Air injection as a small pot. Also, a large pot does not get fed often. Small pots get fed much more often, so the plants grow faster and the roots fill the small pot faster. If you look at most Autopot grows you will see a few common themes. Big plants that take longer to finish. For some that is great. I personally would rather do 2 smaller plants vs one HUGE plant that extends the grow period by 2+ weeks. Again, this is what I prefer...And that is all that matters.

For organic only? you may believe that but go count the numbers here using them with nutrients, ( I do both nutrients and organics, as the whim suits me ) they work well with either. And i didn't say they are for everyone. And organics and airdomes won't show their effectiveness? I counter they they might work better in a large pot if they actually do anything.
And would it really matter if you go 3-5 days more with your autos? I still average 75-80 days with many strains and can't complain.
And I've grown in auto pots with coco, soil, coco soil mix, coco perlite, and guess what, they all work well in them.
Coco builds up salts, not because it tends to, but because people overfeed their plants. I've run back to back grows in coco without flushing for any reason, not even a rinse of the medium. I never run more than 600 ppms.

Go look up @Tony21. he grows in coco using flooded trays and never flushes, in fact, he has grown in the same coco for years. I think he rinses it between grows but thats it.
I've used airdomes in the auto pots as well, I've not seen them as effective enough to be worth it. I see claims they work but not one shred of scientific date to prove it, and I like to base my facts on science i've not said they don't work, I'm saying I'm skeptical.

And we use large pots because we want to grow large plants. Smaller pots are available. But considering most states with legal growing restrict your plant count severely, growing a few large plants might be your only option if your making medicine. I myself like small pots sometimes. I've got 36 .75L pots in a flooded tray right now.

You had a flood. If it was working when you left, what caused it? there is very little that can fail. I'll say it again, user error causes 90% of problems. I've 12 pots and have run them almost 3 years. No floods ever. So what was wrong, or defective?

I'll concede, they are a bit expensive, but as most growers will only use maybe 4 on average its not that expensive. People blow more money than that on expensive nutrients without batting an eye.

Drip systems work obviously, and using them because that's your preference is fine, i'm glad they work for you. I've seen some excellent grows done with drips systems. But to tell me its a better system over all is inaccurate. Your comparing a system with multi-part electromechanical systems to a system with 3 moving parts, that barely move in reality. My auto pots will be functioning long after your pumps and timers have burnt out! For someone like Bigsm0, who has limited time and messing with a drip system doesn't sound like it will fit his schedule. You must know that the more pots and drippers you run, the more likely leaks and clogs and burnt out pumps are.
I've left my pots for over a week on vacation, things were as normal when i returned. I'd rather depend on my auto pots than on some electrical pump!

Well you and I grow COMPLETELY different. And I will disagree with many of your statements. Airdomes work excellent, but using huge pots and organics won't show you the advantage of them. Top feeding is superior for Coco growers, it helps flush the medium of salts vs bathing in them. Setting up a large garden of Autopots will cost you a lot. For me, using a pump, timer, And doing some minor adjustments is better for my needs because I prefer smaller pots. Autopots work fine for people who want to go the Organic only feed water method. But if you are using nutes and Coco, Autopots will extend your total growth length and your plants will get
massive.

AUTOPOTS might be superior for your personal needs. But to claim they are better for everyone is false. Any drip system can clog or flood, so can Autopots. I am giving people a viable option for Automated feeding. I will argue and stand by the fact top feeding Coco is better for my needs. That is all that matters. For you, bottom feeding plain water and Organics is better. That is all that matters. Autopots are expensive and not right for everyone's needs. I wasted a ton of money on them, because my growing method works better for my needs. Being gravity fed means no pump or timer, which is great for vacation. But I had Autopots and Blumats both FAIL and flood in the past while on vacation....so they are not fool proof. That being said, Automated plants save time, money, and nutes...but the superior method is really your personal preference and needs.

27 liter pot Auto big Bud , organic soil - diy - top watering .
index.php

Last edited:
For organic only? you may believe that but go count the numbers here using them with nutrients, ( I do both nutrients and organics, as the whim suits me ) they work well with either. And i didn't say they are for everyone. And organics and airdomes won't show their effectiveness? I counter they they might work better in a large pot if they actually do anything.
And would it really matter if you go 3-5 days more with your autos? I still average 75-80 days with many strains and can't complain.
And I've grown in auto pots with coco, soil, coco soil mix, coco perlite, and guess what, they all work well in them.
Coco builds up salts, not because it tends to, but because people overfeed their plants. I've run back to back grows in coco without flushing for any reason, not even a rinse of the medium. I never run more than 600 ppms.

Go look up @Tony21. he grows in coco using flooded trays and never flushes, in fact, he has grown in the same coco for years. I think he rinses it between grows but thats it.
I've used airdomes in the auto pots as well, I've not seen them as effective enough to be worth it. I see claims they work but not one shred of scientific date to prove it, and I like to base my facts on science i've not said they don't work, I'm saying I'm skeptical.

And we use large pots because we want to grow large plants. Smaller pots are available. But considering most states with legal growing restrict your plant count severely, growing a few large plants might be your only option if your making medicine. I myself like small pots sometimes. I've got 36 .75L pots in a flooded tray right now.

You had a flood. If it was working when you left, what caused it? there is very little that can fail. I'll say it again, user error causes 90% of problems. I've 12 pots and have run them almost 3 years. No floods ever. So what was wrong, or defective?

I'll concede, they are a bit expensive, but as most growers will only use maybe 4 on average its not that expensive. People blow more money than that on expensive nutrients without batting an eye.

Drip systems work obviously, and using them because that's your preference is fine, i'm glad they work for you. I've seen some excellent grows done with drips systems. But to tell me its a better system over all is inaccurate. Your comparing a system with multi-part electromechanical systems to a system with 3 moving parts, that barely move in reality. My auto pots will be functioning long after your pumps and timers have burnt out! For someone like Bigsm0, who has limited time and messing with a drip system doesn't sound like it will fit his schedule. You must know that the more pots and drippers you run, the more likely leaks and clogs and burnt out pumps are.
I've left my pots for over a week on vacation, things were as normal when i returned. I'd rather depend on my auto pots than on some electrical pump!
I wanna see if airpots will work better in them then the smart pots you can get with them I see how days, do you have any knowledge of this method maybe? I won my autopots from local grow shop its 4 pots but, but it's the dual pan system which will still work for my nuggets run and smaller strains I have multis of. Was thinking running two pots or 4 in a 3x3 with 2-3 cobs.

I've looked at them but don't of anyone doing it. I think I did here of someone putting smart pots in the tray, so it should work just fine. If you go that route, tag me!

I wanna see if airpots will work better in them then the smart pots you can get with them I see how days, do you have any knowledge of this method maybe? I won my autopots from local grow shop its 4 pots but, but it's the dual pan system which will still work for my nuggets run and smaller strains I have multis of. Was thinking running two pots or 4 in a 3x3 with 2-3 cobs.

I am not going to debate this in someone else's thread. If you want to debate it, pm me. The wonderful thing about growing is the multiple methods we can all use. I don't like Autopots, I think they are overpriced and there are better options for certain growers needs. They extend most grows And plants can get too large. I agree they are good for certain people, especially if you only have a few plants and a decent amount of space. For people who want variety, speed, and quality over size...I would not suggest them.

The double ones suck ass unless you have small strains. Don't waste your time using them with a bigger strain side by side unless you can manipulate them

Back