Lighting Autocob grow with big sm0 and mephisto.

Hey bll good to see you here. There is a lot of debate when it comes to optics and I was once against it. That was until I purchased a par meter and did some of my own measurements. There is a lot of talk about ppf and ppfd when it comes to lighting. Ppf is the total light emitted. When adding optics of any sort this number is lowered and believe it is around 10% when using basic reflectors. What is really important is ppfd which is the total amount of light hitting the canopy. With these quoted reflectors I saw just about a 20% light increase across the whole 2x2 area measured. Now there is still work to be done on my end but as far as lenses go they will most likely lower the ppf and ppfd numbers. Ppfd will increase in smaller areas as the lenses tend to focus the light but my best guess is that while that's possibly beneficial the reverse side is there is a lot more than a 10% overall light loss.
How about all the different shapes, focusing and scattering patterns, materials (shiny metal vs. plastic)? Anything we might consider as an upgrade to the standard-type plastic reflector?

Tests on another forum showed the white reflectors works as well as the chromed ones. And interesting experiment was someone painted the inside with flat whit paint to reduce the light bleeding through the reflector. With two coats there was an increase in reflected light, I believe it was 5-10%! I've not seen anyone use the difusing lenses available, I'd like to see how they do myself!

How about all the different shapes, focusing and scattering patterns, materials (shiny metal vs. plastic)? Anything we might consider as an upgrade to the standard-type plastic reflector?

I know different types are available but most besides the standard Angelina aren't stocked. I wouldnt look to deep into a change of the overall size and shape but @pop22 did mention a member who painted his reflectors to make them less transparent. In doing that he saw a measurable light increase. That leads me to believe that the chromed ones would be better then the white plastic as light shouldn't penetrate that.

You want a good laugh? On another forum, a guy is claiming his "burple" "800 watt" dual cob light is just as good. I told him put it in a 3x3 tent and match it against the autocobs lol! Seems to be all talk and no action though lol!

Hey bll good to see you here. There is a lot of debate when it comes to optics and I was once against it. That was until I purchased a par meter and did some of my own measurements. There is a lot of talk about ppf and ppfd when it comes to lighting. Ppf is the total light emitted. When adding optics of any sort this number is lowered and believe it is around 10% when using basic reflectors. What is really important is ppfd which is the total amount of light hitting the canopy. With these quoted reflectors I saw just about a 20% light increase across the whole 2x2 area measured. Now there is still work to be done on my end but as far as lenses go they will most likely lower the ppf and ppfd numbers. Ppfd will increase in smaller areas as the lenses tend to focus the light but my best guess is that while that's possibly beneficial the reverse side is there is a lot more than a 10% overall light loss.
I also purchased a par meter. Totally changed how I was hanging my lights. Handy little thing for sure.

You want a good laugh? On another forum, a guy is claiming his "burple" "800 watt" dual cob light is just as good. I told him put it in a 3x3 tent and match it against the autocobs lol! Seems to be all talk and no action though lol!
People are slowely learning. But anyone who thinks a 200w draw light is equal to 800w isn't worth the time. Especially a blurple "cob" light on eBay for $79.99.

People are slowely learning. But anyone who thinks a 200w draw light is equal to 800w isn't worth the time. Especially a blurple "cob" light on eBay for $79.99.
Still really new to LED's but after watching this thread for a bit I've been roaming around the web just looking at everything LED to get a feel for things and I started laughing when I saw a cob fixture that was blurple for sale on ebay. I still can't believe the growth I'm seeing here compared to a ton of other LED grows I've gone through.

Not much change in here. Buds are starting to form though. Really hope they continueView attachment 703650
I don't even want to know what would happen if 2 more cobs were in that 4x4 space. It's ridiculous for the power consumption. Still can't believe lmao.

Still really new to LED's but after watching this thread for a bit I've been roaming around the web just looking at everything LED to get a feel for things and I started laughing when I saw a cob fixture that was blurple for sale on ebay. I still can't believe the growth I'm seeing here compared to a ton of other LED grows I've gone through.

I don't even want to know what would happen if 2 more cobs were in that 4x4 space. It's ridiculous for the power consumption. Still can't believe lmao.
Thanks my man. There isn't much wattage but surely a ton of light and that's the efficiency part you always hear me talk about. The amount of light from a watt and not the amount of wattage. As Pop mentioned wattage is sort of meaningless when it comes to lighting an area. The goal is light and these particular cobs do a great job at producing it.

Back