Lighting Autocob grow with big sm0 and mephisto.

Is this that 4 cob grow, @BigSm0? The gram per watt experiment?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
Yes 4 cobs. It does look a little dim in there overall and could use more but I won't add any. If I were to do 2 more it would probably be ideal. That's another 220 grams I'd need to hit the goal.

Watts are actually a terrible metric for judging lights. It only tells you how much power is consumed. PAR watts is a much better metric and needs to be adopted by more light makers. Thank the Chinese light makers for making it sound like THE way to judge LED................
yes 550 watts of these cobs should be a good match for total PPFD output and and better efficiency. Just like LED, cheaper HID lighting is less efficient than the top brands, most are lucky to hit 30% efficiency, with Gavita topping out around 40-42%. These 55 watt cobs with the current gen Citizen chips are at about 50-52% efficient. That compared to the gavita means your getting 10% more light with 10% less heat. 20%+ against cheaper HID! And people always forget to add in ballast losses when figuring efficiency. Magnetic ballasts suck... 70-85% efficiency. Meanwell LED drivers, which are the most popular are 92-95% efficient! It ads up!

More light, less heat, less energy consumed! And Gavita recently sold of its HID lighting to get into LED......... HPS days are numbered.

So 10 Autocobs = 550 W, correct? My question is - what would that compare to hps in watts? Better than 600 obviously, but how about up against a 1000w?

Agreed. I am quite aware of all of this... i should have been more specific with my question. Every led company compares their light to X amount of hps wattage. Was more interested in the number of these cobs that would equal the grow POTENTIAL of a 1000w hps. Im not interested in efficiency/ppfd/par information as ive already read my fill of this.

I have sets of cobs basically everywhere I can. What I can say welhether the math agrees or not is that I would rate these at 150 watts of hps. My 600w ipower's did fair but struggled to produce like these at 1/3 the wattage.

I'm away till Wednesday so as soon as I get home I'll make the final touches on the new website. As mentioned in the other thread there is going to be some changes coming up and more options available. The single cob will remain the same though.

@BigSm0: Maybe its been covered before, but I missed it: What options for reflectors and lenses are worth considering using with AutoCOBs?

Can you tell us (proud AutoCOB and other COB owners) your thoughts on reflector options, and lenses too. AutoCOBs and seemingly other COBs routinely use or come with "Ledil F13839 ANGELINA-XW-B," such as http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ledil/F13839_ANGELINA-XW-B/ (cheaper from other vendors) or something similar having the proper attachment ring/connector. But I've seen that Ledil and others make a wide variety of reflectors, sizes, shapes, metal vs. plastic, etc. with the proper ring/connector. And do you seen any value from using lenses with AutoCOBs (I see none, theoretically)?

The lenses focus the light into a tighter pattern. Different styles gave different effects on the pattern. Some really focus a tight beam.

@BigSm0: Maybe its been covered before, but I missed it: What options for reflectors and lenses are worth considering using with AutoCOBs?

Can you tell us (proud AutoCOB and other COB owners) your thoughts on reflector options, and lenses too. AutoCOBs and seemingly other COBs routinely use or come with "Ledil F13839 ANGELINA-XW-B," such as http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ledil/F13839_ANGELINA-XW-B/ (cheaper from other vendors) or something similar having the proper attachment ring/connector. But I've seen that Ledil and others make a wide variety of reflectors, sizes, shapes, metal vs. plastic, etc. with the proper ring/connector. And do you seen any value from using lenses with AutoCOBs (I see none, theoretically)?

Hey bll good to see you here. There is a lot of debate when it comes to optics and I was once against it. That was until I purchased a par meter and did some of my own measurements. There is a lot of talk about ppf and ppfd when it comes to lighting. Ppf is the total light emitted. When adding optics of any sort this number is lowered and believe it is around 10% when using basic reflectors. What is really important is ppfd which is the total amount of light hitting the canopy. With these quoted reflectors I saw just about a 20% light increase across the whole 2x2 area measured. Now there is still work to be done on my end but as far as lenses go they will most likely lower the ppf and ppfd numbers. Ppfd will increase in smaller areas as the lenses tend to focus the light but my best guess is that while that's possibly beneficial the reverse side is there is a lot more than a 10% overall light loss.

Back