Could we get a quick show of hands on who is running air domes, and those who are not?

I’m debating ditching them simply because it would be one less item to clean and set up. When a plant is done it would be a lot easier if I could just go dump the pot into the compost pile at the back of my property vs taking the time to dig the air dome out and clean it up. It would also be easier when I want to rotate plants or pull them out of the trays for any reason.
I'd say most have done both, used and not used. I think it's personal preference and based on individual goals and plans. Like you, I just got tired of dealing with it. I like to rotate my plants and running 4 air domes made moving them around more work than I wanted to do.

I used them once then never again. I feel they are a waste of time and money, pumps that are annoyingly loud, and added heat vs any supposed benefits. I've grown some fine plants in auto pots without them.

Could we get a quick show of hands on who is running air domes, and those who are not?

I’m debating ditching them simply because it would be one less item to clean and set up. When a plant is done it would be a lot easier if I could just go dump the pot into the compost pile at the back of my property vs taking the time to dig the air dome out and clean it up. It would also be easier when I want to rotate plants or pull them out of the trays for any reason.

The manufacturer also recommends clay pebbles in the bottom of the pot, which totally violates the laws of Hydraulics. the interface between dissimilar mediums RESISTS the flow of water until overcome by gravity. Which means, in a bottom fed pot, all they do is hinder the flow of water.......

AirDome user right here... :toke:
I've never tried without them but then I see the theory and logic behind them too... plus if the manufacturer recomends them then it's worth it IMO.
If you like moving them about, why not get some inline connectors and place them 2"-3" above the medium. Like a quick disconnect. :thumbsup:

I bought the domes with my system but haven't used them yet. I plan to try them though. I can only get to my setup from the front. I need to be able to turn my pots to LST. I can imagine having air hoses attached to the pots will make things a little more difficult.

I have always used them. Could I get by without them. Well for me I will not know as I will continue to use them. I'm at 5000 feet and I know I get a bit short winded at times. I feel my ladies like the additional air. I see a growth spurt when I add the air. Then again this is why there are some many here with their own style.

I have extra long tubing to each pot and the same for the air lines. This way i can move them around. If I need to change position then all I do is swap the pots. The trays stay where they are and I move the pots. I just love the Autopots. So simple to use and they save me time as I am not always here. I do not know how I would grow with out them. Each to their own way.

Now in your situation I'm sure you'd see a benefit. And maybe I would too, but I also don't use them as they just don't fit well into my KISS style. Now the only thing simpler than auto pots is hand watered pots. Auto pots for me took the druggery out of watering multiple pots ans worrying about getting them just the right amount of water. Auto pots cured that as simply as can be! And one, 4.9 gallon auto pot beat my best from a 18 gallon DWC!

Have you considered adding CO2? it works even better for people at high altitudes. Might be worth your while.

I have always used them. Could I get by without them. Well for me I will not know as I will continue to use them. I'm at 5000 feet and I know I get a bit short winded at times. I feel my ladies like the additional air. I see a growth spurt when I add the air. Then again this is why there are some many here with their own style.

I have extra long tubing to each pot and the same for the air lines. This way i can move them around. If I need to change position then all I do is swap the pots. The trays stay where they are and I move the pots. I just love the Autopots. So simple to use and they save me time as I am not always here. I do not know how I would grow with out them. Each to their own way.

Now in your situation I'm sure you'd see a benefit. And maybe I would too, but I also don't use them as they just don't fit well into my KISS style. Now the only thing simpler than auto pots is hand watered pots. Auto pots for me took the druggery out of watering multiple pots ans worrying about getting them just the right amount of water. Auto pots cured that as simply as can be! And one, 4.9 gallon auto pot beat my best from a 18 gallon DWC!

Have you considered adding CO2? it works even better for people at high altitudes. Might be worth your while.
I have not. I should look into it.

I used them for 2 grows. Last 2 grows I didnt use them. No difference in my opinion. I think the roots get just as much oxygen in the auto pots without them. I also ditched the res, just feeding directly into the tray when it goes dry. Im actually finding this works better for me.

I used them for 2 grows. Last 2 grows I didnt use them. No difference in my opinion. I think the roots get just as much oxygen in the auto pots without them. I also ditched the res, just feeding directly into the tray when it goes dry. Im actually finding this works better for me.
Are you using clay rocks in the bottom of your pots?

Just curious, but have you gone thru a harvest just hand watering the trays? I’ve had some ladies that could drink that tray dry in no time during full bloom. I know when I wanted to add a dose of Recharge to the trays, I would turn off the rez for a couple hours and the trays would be ready to fill. I’d be hand watering all day and that would defeat my purpose for using autopots in the first place, my travels.

Back