Mephisto Genetics A grow room(s) make-over thread with Mephisto!

What do you consider the average size of orange crack to be?

In the configuration we had them - 40cm average - they didn't have the best start to life though, they were overwatered in the beginning which will of accentuated the squatness no doubt.

I would say about 12 of the 18 were very sour crack dominant, 3 were half and half, 3 more sodk leaning.

cheers

In the configuration we had them - 40cm average - they didn't have the best start to life though, they were overwatered in the beginning which will of accentuated the squatness no doubt.

I would say about 12 of the 18 were very sour crack dominant, 3 were half and half, 3 more sodk leaning.

cheers
Thank you sir, I'm really looking forward to starting these. You guys are amazing!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone - Long overdue update to discuss the findings of Round 1 of the made-over room test.

So, as ever with growing there's something to learn each time and then fine tune the next time.

I've previously mentioned it's a bit of a battle here - Summer too hot, Winter too cold, Spring and Autumn often too wet.

Auto's give us the flexibility to adjust our environment primarily with the lighting, both hours and the intensity we often adjust to suit the season. - This mainly helps for summer/winter periods.

Ventilation is also the thing we can adjust either with blocking off/reducing intake flow or adding extra circulatory or extraction fans to suit.

We would love to have total environmental control, but where we are being limited to electricity flow it almost rules out an AC for heating or cooling, for the extra consumption to me it's better to have more lights in a different/additional space.

The 6 double tents in an open room are better for sure than the room configuration before, being totally open. For better control still single tents I think are the way to go (for us) but overall I'm happy with this virgin run. The autopots were new to us, and actually it's not that often that we plant seed directly to the final container, I think if we did further runs in this manner we would transplant. But thats more of a personal preference than a fact of whats better.

So I'll review the strains one by one - And give my thoughts etc with a few photos.

So to re-cap the set up for all was 18 per 1.2 x 2.4m tent - 15 liter autopots, Our recycled soil for the bottom 2/3 of the pot and the top 1/3 was fresh out of the bag lightmix.
Light was a E-papillon double ended hps fixture adjustable 600-1000w - (except the tent where the light failed in the first week and was replaced with 2x 600w normal hps lights)

The first three weeks everything was on 24/0 and on the lowest light settings - 600 or 625w something around there. The last 10 days everything was switched up to 1000w, but the vast majority of the weeks the lighting was on 815w so we'll call that a fair average for the wattage without getting too mathematical about it.

I always felt like the plants had a slow start (possible overwatering as seedlings) - And in the critical days 45+ we had crazy humidity levels - 80% and reacted too slowly to it. and hence mould issues throughout most tents, Also an autopot leak in a couple of tents didn't help the situation.

However, on the plus side fed the whole way with plain well water thanks to the biotabs. No sprays, no insects, So a lovely organic tasty end product of really nice quality was achieved.

..........................................................................................................................................

First up - Sour Stomper! - 4th grow of her in the last year. She's a favourite, definitely worthy of the artisanal label - and amongst my Top 5 strains in the mephisto arsenal for sure.

Sour Stomper Sample 1s.jpg

Sour Stomper Sample 2s.jpg

Sour Stomper Sample 3s.jpg

Super sticky and grease-tastic - Smells amazing.

Initially the yield looked fairly low, I think just because looking in this tent compared to others there seemed to be far too much space in there (not filled by flowers) Fairly large internodal spacing and minimal branching, although some plants did shoot 3 or 4 main stems upwards but with little lateral branching.

I do think we could have squeezed more plants in - 15 per light as opposed to 9, Could make for a very heavy yield.
There was some variation in plant size and structure, some plants waited a week longer or more to kick into flower than the others - It was a little bit of a staggered germination too when they emerged from their respective pots - However the taller slower ones soon flower hard and fast and by the end any difference is neglible.
The flowers are very consistent in appearance - some have a little purple ting to the leaves but by the time they're trimmed it's hardly noticeable.
The open structure of the plants and barely any foliage also meant we had zero mould in this tent. We didn't save any trim, but for the waste not want not - It would make some fine fine extract material. The only training was a tiny bit of leaf tucking, but the structure of these it was really minimal what we could actually do.

Harvest day - 72/73 from sprout - (A One hit harvest not staggered)
Yield - 830g
Popcorn - 0g
trim ease - Super easy. A real pleasure.
Waste from mould - 0%

If grown again what would we change - I would go for a 'tall sog' - more plants to fill the void. And I'm confident a better yield is possible . - (Not possible with the autopot layout though)

sour stomp dry1s.jpg

End flowers - Bag appeal - Super high.
Not big flowers by the time they're de-boned but very nice density. 8.5/10
Aroma - Lovely fruity dank and distinct once you know it.
Final thought - Winner on a lot of levels! - Definitely something we'd like to run perpetually if we could.

Last edited:
Next up - Sour Blues -

Sour Blues Sample 1s.jpg

Sour Blues Sample 2s.jpg

Harvest day - Split because of mould - Main colas D55 - The remainder D64 from sprout
Yield - 985g
Popcorn - 20g - barely any
trim ease - Very easy.
Waste from mould - 10-20% guesstimate
For extract - Very good - On par with orange crack - below sour stomper

If grown again what would we change - These girls grew really thick, short and stocky, thick with foliage. But also very thick flowers and fast too.
These I would say are about the perfect size for this plant number and arrangement. Leaf tucking was a good call with these, all the secondary branches made awesome large consistent sized flowers. Also the plant height across all was the most even in the room which meant nothing was blocking the other and they received nice even lighting.

If grown again we'd be way more aggressive with thinning out the leaves gradually but earlier. I'd also consider topping these to spread the flower mass and not centralise.
The main colas on these were the largest in girth from the room for sure - consequently they were affected by mould fairly badly. Minus the mould issue and I think the yield would have been even better.

sblues dry1s.jpg

Many flowers purpled up somewhat due to the cooler temps.
Strong aroma and trichy stalks were evident on the majority.
Density is good - A decent 7/10
Overall flower size, these were the largest from all on average.

Orange Crack -

Orange Crack Sample 1s.jpg

Orange Crack Sample 2s.jpg

A nice little test on these - Not the smoothest run with them though.

Harvest day - Split because of mould - Main colas D55 - The remainder D64 from sprout
Yield - 710g
Popcorn - 20g - barely any
trim ease - Very easy.
Waste from mould - 10-20% guesstimate
For extract - Very good and greasy - On par if not a touch above Sour Blues - below sour stomper

If grown again what would we change; As mentioned a bit of a rough ride - These on average were the shortest in the room - Very sour crack dominant.
Also they got the slowest start through over watering which no doubt contributed to their smaller size - I think there's definitely more potential to unlock from this strain.
The stocky denseness of them also meant we lost a decent chunk of these to mould.
On the plus side, dense weighty and compact flowers with a definite zesty aroma.

orack dry1s.jpg

Proper little nugget rocks,
End flowers - Bag appeal - high. - Sticky with thick orange pistils.
Not big flowers by the time they're de-boned but very nice density. 9/10
Aroma - Zesty sour
Final thought - Deserves a second chance with a better hand and luck

Back