Dutch Passion Yozhik grows Dutch Passion's CBD Auto Compassion Lime®

still a couple of weeks, if not more to go, but I can already tell you the A/B experiment has been well worth while.

Just the side by side of the COB vs CMH lights has been a TEAL eye opener.
Knowing what I know now, I'd do it slightly differently.
Both variants have their benefits.

Can't wait to see yield results.

Holy Mother of Ganja, @Yozhik !
You got an ocean of green there, amigo.
Wanna rep slap you, but need to rep some other people before the system will let me...
:p
Amazing work there, truly.

GENERAL COMMENT

I have accidentally discovered the protagonist of the high RH%
The leaves.
Too many feckin leaves.

Lesson: Defoliate ... Defoliate ... Defoliate

So as a "real world" example for anyone actually following this grow, the RH% has dropped 10% from defoliating half of the tent.
I anticipate even more gains from defoliating the remainder.

I also placed a butane burning heater in the greater grow space in which the tent resides, to raise the temps OUTSIDE of the tent, so that the air being sucked in by the extractor fan was warmer than winter was supplying.

Result: tent temps now at 26.5°C and humidity RH% at 55%

GENERAL COMMENT

There is a real art/science to growing with COB lights.

That's my single biggest take away from this A/B side by side experiment.
I'll throw my hands up and take responsibility for whatever happens.

I already know the CMH lights will out perform the COBs, if measured by yield from this grow.
That's very obvious with ~2 weeks to go.
And realistically, that's how 99.99% will measure "success"; by final yield.
But that's not the full story.

I confess, I genuinely believe I have fucked up the COB side.
The "experiment" is flawed because of the human error factor.
The COBs were too low to start with, and my have resulted in a vegetative undergrowth that was TOO close noded, and TOO lush.
It was impossible for light to penetrate, and for air to circulate.
The word jungle does not do justice to how thick the vegetative undergrowth was.
The ScrOG COB plants were not so much growing leaves, as they were knitting green jumpers of undergrowth.

The NUMBER of secondary budsites is ridiculous.
No. Really.
Never seen anything like it.
And the whole point of doing a ScrOG, is to take advantage, and promote those secondary budsites.
Right?

The lights and the plant came to the party - there was a veritable smorgasbord of budsites for me to take advantage of, but my growing skills with COBs was not fit for purpose, and I have missed a golden opportunity.

Hand on heart, I genuinely believe my ineptitude may result in the COB girls producing half of what they offered to do for me, had I been up to the task.

If I was to do this again, i would do things differently.
Without a doubt.
It's heartbreaking seeing the number of budsites that have not been utilised.
Things could have been so much more.

GENERAL COMMENT

The CMH light kits I am using, came with TWO bulbs.
  1. Philips Mastercolor CDM-T Elite 315W/930 T12 CL Agro
  2. Philips Mastercolor Daylight CDM-TMW Elite 315W/942

Essentially a 3200K bulb [whole grow], and a 4200K bulb [veg period].

One ScrOG screen was under the 930 bulb only. [front ScrOG]
One ScrOG screen was under the 942 bulb for veg AND PREFLOWER, then changed to the 930. [ScrOG at back]

[See. Day 25]

lec-after-jpg.833108

NB: ALL plants had a taste of the 942 light prior to going under the screen ... Thats the single CMH in the centre, over all the babies. [See. Day 24]

before-jpg.833098

Those plants that had the extended exposure to the 942 veg bulb through preflower, are noticeably advanced.
It has made a HUGE difference to the size and number of buds coming through into the flowering period.

If you are looking at switching to CMH lighting, and if you are thinking of adopting a 2 bulb solution over a single "seed to harvest" type bulb, I urge you to stay with the 942 [4200k] veg spectrum bulb through preflower as well. Don't rush to switch the lights over to the bloom spectrum until you have squeezed every last drop out of the veg spectrum.

Remember, ALL plants had the 942 veg spectrum bulb before going under the ScrOG screen, so this is a fair comparison of what difference it has made keeping the 942 bulb through the preflowering stage.
The extra 7-10 days under the veg spectrum has made a massive difference.

apIa656M_o.jpg

was defo a good call giving them the extra days under the veg light yoz,this is probably why i can only grow 1 girl in my 4x2 because my 200w diy cobs light spectrum is 4000k from start to finish which really makes them explode with veg growth but i still get an average of 8oz a plant so the 4000k spectrum seems perfect for them,the cobs certainly have a learning curve getting the distances right because they are so intense its unreal,i have mine from start to finish as high as it will go in my tent and i still have insanely dense plants,my 10oz glueberry og was grown just using 100w of my 200w light so it was nearly 3gpw but now with winter here i have to use the full 200w just to keep the temps up

was defo a good call giving them the extra days under the veg light yoz,this is probably why i can only grow 1 girl in my 4x2 because my 200w diy cobs light spectrum is 4000k from start to finish which really makes them explode with veg growth but i still get an average of 8oz a plant so the 4000k spectrum seems perfect for them,the cobs certainly have a learning curve getting the distances right because they are so intense its unreal,i have mine from start to finish as high as it will go in my tent and i still have insanely dense plants,my 10oz glueberry og was grown just using 100w of my 200w light so it was nearly 3gpw but now with winter here i have to use the full 200w just to keep the temps up

I've found the veg growth from the COBs [3500K] is insane, but compared to the CMH. the flowering is a good 1 to 2 weeks behind.
The buds are not as developed, and resin production a lot slower.
It really is as if they are 2 weeks apart.

Did you find similar?

That's impressive g/W ratios there.
I'm getting a cheap and dirty Chinese COB in soon.
Going to drop it over a little DWC system for veges.

Back