Outdoor Winter outdoor grow??

I'm all for a bit of a logistical challenge - been trying to grow outdoors here for years !! (first successful year - still to be finally documented). - but unless there's a real reason you can't grow indoors (I reckon I can be self sufficient 1g/day doing three grows/year in a 1/2 wardrobe space), I'm just coming up to the end of year one but I know It's do-able (or is that doobieable).

But outdoors if you are climatically challenged means budrot and frequent (if glancing) checks across guerrilla sites as it gets close to harvest. If legality is an issue and tree concealment a potential solution, I would consider this, it's much easier to persuade a jury you were foraging for woodland plants/fungi (explaining some tools n crap in the rucksack) and stumbled across somone elses clearing plot - than being caught up a tree at the time. If your area is foot path'd consider also that kids love tree-houses and it will get spotted by some wee brat out walking (probably under duress) the family dog.

Clearings are good spots - hunt them out away from footpaths - a lot of commercially planted woodlands have built in circular clearings which will be utilised later for harvesting access but remain off the paths - google maps satellite and GPS can be your friend in finding them.

If , on the other hand, you are an experienced rope climber, have the right site (not to dense woodlands) - and the will and the way to put in all the effort (as some famous explorers might have said - it was the last few feet that were the most satisfying if painful)...

Good Luck :D

I'm all for a bit of a logistical challenge - been trying to grow outdoors here for years !! (first successful year - still to be finally documented). - but unless there's a real reason you can't grow indoors (I reckon I can be self sufficient 1g/day doing three grows/year in a 1/2 wardrobe space), I'm just coming up to the end of year one but I know It's do-able (or is that doobieable).

But outdoors if you are climatically challenged means budrot and frequent (if glancing) checks across guerrilla sites as it gets close to harvest. If legality is an issue and tree concealment a potential solution, I would consider this, it's much easier to persuade a jury you were foraging for woodland plants/fungi (explaining some tools n crap in the rucksack) and stumbled across somone elses clearing plot - than being caught up a tree at the time. If your area is foot path'd consider also that kids love tree-houses and it will get spotted by some wee brat out walking (probably under duress) the family dog.

Clearings are good spots - hunt them out away from footpaths - a lot of commercially planted woodlands have built in circular clearings which will be utilised later for harvesting access but remain off the paths - google maps satellite and GPS can be your friend in finding them.

If , on the other hand, you are an experienced rope climber, have the right site (not to dense woodlands) - and the will and the way to put in all the effort (as some famous explorers might have said - it was the last few feet that were the most satisfying if painful)...

Good Luck :D
cheers SpliffScot

Given it's for winter - cold n windy as you say - so everyone has visions of weed n airpots tumbling from the tree's during stormy weather...

Surely if temperature stabilisation is part of the aim then what you want is a sunken greenhouse - in a sunny clearing :D << nearby the house so you can get power would be best but it still makes more sense to me than a tree house which will be susceptible to air-chill. I'm sure I've seen pics n posts here from someone who had something similar so you will just have to do with my description until someone finds a link :

'A green house with only the apex portion of the roof top ^ open to the light - the remainder is buried beneath ground to provide a consistent growing temp and thermal mass. If I remember right in the original posts these were used with supplemental lighting - but the important factor here was keeping (or extending) growing seasons by using the soil as a huge thermal mass accumulator in summer which allowed (with supplemental lighting) the season to be extended significantly into the winter.'

Back