Lighting What's the best lighting cycle for autos - 24/0, 20/4 or 18/6

What is the best lighting cycle for autos?

• Total voters
20/4 if only autos but been doing 12/12 as I have a photo finish

Ran 18/6 plants seem to like it. After doing research and reading on the mephisto site I'm trying 24/0. I had problems with big temp swings when the lights were off. I am currently running 3- fugue states , 2 -4 am-1- sour liver at 27 days. Using the advanced line-up and hpromix , going well and the temp is stable at 79 - 81 degrees.

After doing research and reading on the mephisto site I'm trying 24/0
Before my Auto cobs and quantum boards, I ran my basic led lights around the clock and liked that schedule best. Good luck.

Ran 18/6 plants seem to like it. After doing research and reading on the mephisto site I'm trying 24/0. I had problems with big temp swings when the lights were off. I am currently running 3- fugue states , 2 -4 am-1- sour liver at 27 days. Using the advanced line-up and hpromix , going well and the temp is stable at 79 - 81 degrees.
I run 24hr and my Mephisto's love it. Big yeilds with promix hp and greenleaf nutes.

I ran my first 2 grows 24/7 and Now I am running one 12/12 since I had a plant that wasn't a auto in my tent without realizing it so now flowerering it along with 3 autos who are definetly stretching more than when run under continuous light.
I will be going back to 24/0 after this run. I would consider trying 20/4 but what people don't realize is that autos finnish fast under 24/0 and that is where the cost savings come in, In my opinion.

Last edited:
Light and fans - 11 days veg
If we assume that most people switch their light off 4 hours per day, do people also switch off fans and / or heat to give the plants a complete rest?
I am going 20/4, but I'm never sure whether to leave on the extraction fan, the oscillating fan and the heater.
Humidity rises with the extraction off, which is good, but the temp drops to below 70F.
What do you guys do?

Light and fans - 11 days veg
If we assume that most people switch their light off 4 hours per day, do people also switch off fans and / or heat to give the plants a complete rest?
I am going 20/4, but I'm never sure whether to leave on the extraction fan, the oscillating fan and the heater.
Humidity rises with the extraction off, which is good, but the temp drops to below 70F.
What do you guys do?

The only things I turn off at lights out are lights and humidifiers.
Exhaust fan, oscillating fan, and other fans stay on.

Yes keep the fans running and do not let the temperatures drop by too much during dark period it creates moisture on the leaves and could cause rot.

Apologies, as this must have been asked many times before but a quick search on here resulted in nothing.

As the title says, what is the best lights on/off cycle for autos (24/0, 20/4 or 18/6 etc), or does it change dependent on what stage of growth the plant is on (germinating/veg/flower)? Currently I have some 1 week old seedlings on 20/4 (lights on/off), as I'm guessing the 4 hour dark period will help with the root development and the 20 hours light will help leaf development.
My electricity rates are charged their highest from 4pm to 9pm so my timer is set for ON at 9:05 pm and OFF at 3:55pm. 19/5.

I usually run 24/0, In the colder months it helps keep the tent at a comfortable temp. Otherwise I would have to add a heater for the 4 hours the driver is off.
I also just prefer being able to go into my tent whenever I want.

Back