Lighting What's the best lighting cycle for autos - 24/0, 20/4 or 18/6

What is the best lighting cycle for autos?

• Total voters
I use 24/7 and get 100g to 150g per plant. All Autos; White Widow, Blueberry/NY Diesel, Zkittles, Great White Shark. The plants are growing fast under LED, 60 watts per sq ft. They will need a Cal/mag supplement foliar spray during stretch. 83 degrees F for the entire grow. Lots of LST training to get an even canopy. After an expansion of my grow space I now have 40 watts per sq ft. (LED lights). If your plants are healthy they can take a lot of Photons! Yum Yum!

I like the 20/4, I’d run 24/0 but every living needs to nap sometime. IMO

Actually, plants have a limit on how much light they can use, and have built in defense mechanisms to help prevent over saturation with light. Plants outdoors at noon in midsummer are doing all they can to prevent this. Look into DLI also, its a measurement of how much light plant need, or can use in 24 hours. At 40 watts per sq/ft and depending on WHAT LED lights your using, and not using CO2, your probably over saturating them and likely to get better results with 18/6 or 20/4. Science has shown that 24/0 is not the best light cycle

http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/125/1/29

I use 24/7 and get 100g to 150g per plant. All Autos; White Widow, Blueberry/NY Diesel, Zkittles, Great White Shark. The plants are growing fast under LED, 60 watts per sq ft. They will need a Cal/mag supplement foliar spray during stretch. 83 degrees F for the entire grow. Lots of LST training to get an even canopy. After an expansion of my grow space I now have 40 watts per sq ft. (LED lights). If your plants are healthy they can take a lot of Photons! Yum Yum!

I checked out DLI again, and another article about the physiology of the plant changing to to get rid of the extra light. I had been putting up to 80 Mols/sq meter and had definitely had the lights to close to the top buds. Just by keeping the lights 3 inches higher I can get the down to 60 mols with the lower buds still getting 40 mols a day. With my lights at 16 " from the canopy have a PAR rate of 595 umol/sq meter/ sec. If I use a 20/4 light schedule my math is 60 sec * 60 min* 20 hour * 595 PAR = 42,840,000 protons a day or 42.84 mols. At 12 inches from the canopy The PAR is rated at about 740 umols/s/m2. OR 60*60*20*740= 53.28 mols. So I can have my lights as close as 11 inches to the canopy with the top buds getting 60 mols and buds six inches lower getting 40 mols.

Ja testuje cykl 6/2 i powiem wam wygląda obiecująco

Last edited:
I grew my last ak420 autos 24/0 untill the buds were well established for the last forty days I grew them under 12/12 they got quite big. Im just playing around I use to be a 24/0 guy but electricity has more then doubled in 4 years so anyway I can cut back. Here is one. And 18/6 is my new light regiment for autos.
2020-09-22 09.13.55 (2).jpg
2020-09-25 07.48.04.jpg

Im always torn between 19/5 & 18/6. I havent noticed much difference between that and 20/4 accept for resilience being a bit better under 18/6 (which i guess could potentialy affect yeild if you ran into problems). I tend to stick to 18/6 so i can use the autos as "fillers" whilst im veging my photos... helps keep the tubs full lol.

I'm running my first autos 24/0, out of necessity. I need all the heat I can get in Jan and Feb. These plants will be in flower come March, I might be able to cut the lights off in mid March.

If possible I will do so. Plants in constant photosynthesis is kinda weird, I believe all plants need a rest at some point.

I am more after potency then yield, I don't sell anymore. But I've been a toker 48 yrs, since the age of 17.

With all the biomass my Hubbabubbasmelloscope has now, both plants seem to get their DLI around hour 17-17.5.

Kong seems to be on the verge of sleep right at 18hours.
Sour Stomper seems like she wants more with her least of the bunch biomass.

Surely someone has ran studies in lab setting on this topic with autos......................but then there's the stupid federal classification.

24/0 worked really well for me for my first grow, over 1/2 kg of dried/cured weed and over 1/2 kg of fresh frozen trim/popcorn, and that's not counting anything I smoked for over 4 weeks, 300watts from 2 x TS1000 Mars Hydro in a 2x4x6ft tent also from them if that makes any difference.
20210108_205835.jpg

Back