Lighting What's the best lighting cycle for autos - 24/0, 20/4 or 18/6

What is the best lighting cycle for autos?

• Total voters
Thank you for the links. Often what we get from both members and sponsors is conjecture rather than fact. And I concur with tony, what we really need, and I know the data is sorely lacking for Cannabis, if DLI requirements. I feel DLI will be useful for indoor growing and gives us a better idea of what an optimum light cycle may be. There may even be a parallel between greenhouse and indoor DLI requirements where lower DLI but a better controlled environment can produce as well or better than an outdoor crop. An interesting subject that needs further exploration!

:smokeout:

RE-TECH-Vic, post: 1901923, member: 34495"]Plants are subjected to and withstand up to 2000umol/m2/s under natural sunlight (clear skies)outdoors with no negative effects. 2000umol is not needed for full growth nor feasible to produce with artificial lighting due to the power requirement. 1100-1400umol achieve the best results in our testing, depending on the strain and pheno.

We have not done any testing exclusively on autos. According to our growers feedbacks, it seems that autos tend to prefer less light intensity. More research and testing needs to be done on this subject.

https://loudbank.com/maximize-cannabis-growth-700-1500-or-2000-µmolm2s/

http://magazine.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/january-2017/the-key-to-maximum-yield.aspx[/QUOTE]

I've been using 20/4 light cycle, I would really like to get a 7 day timer and try something like 38/10 and run a side by side test against 20/4 with the same strain in 2 tents to see if there is any difference in growth and harvest

24/0 They need no rest they need to keep the enviroment the same. That is why they are called autoflower. Dont you just love the darlings. They need less intensity I have found that out first hand. I have grown autos soley untill now since 2014 every one under 24/0 and every grow was at the least twenty plants and usually several different strains. I have had some teething problems when changing up nutrients but I have never had a plant suffer that I know of from 24/0. I have not shut my tent down once in going on five years. I am just stating my methods i am not trying to prove it is better for everyone but it works soundly for me especially in the winter when my basement can get COLD.
IMG_20181014_210021.jpg
A 24/0 Santa marta Haze

24/0 They need no rest they need to keep the enviroment the same. That is why they are called autoflower. Dont you just love the darlings. They need less intensity I have found that out first hand. I have grown autos soley untill now since 2014 every one under 24/0 and every grow was at the least twenty plants and usually several different strains. I have had some teething problems when changing up nutrients but I have never had a plant suffer that I know of from 24/0. I have not shut my tent down once in going on five years. I am just stating my methods i am not trying to prove it is better for everyone but it works soundly for me especially in the winter when my basement can get COLD.View attachment 962598A 24/0 Santa marta Haze
Yeah, what you say man, I used to run like that too, but how do you know it's not excessive, that some is not a waste?
You say the environment needs to be kept the same and that is why it is called autoflower, where is the science to back that up, you are saying there is no optimal DLI ?
Have you tried to calculate or measure how many mols per day you are giving your plants, how many watts per m2?
Your plants always look super, but so does plants grown with lights off in various periods. I don't think having a cold grow room in winter and using the light wattage as heating is relevant to optimal amount of light provided for growth.
Here some interesting input https://www.lumigrow.com/customer-story/dayton-valley-aquaponics/

24/0 They need no rest they need to keep the enviroment the same. That is why they are called autoflower. Dont you just love the darlings. They need less intensity I have found that out first hand. I have grown autos soley untill now since 2014 every one under 24/0 and every grow was at the least twenty plants and usually several different strains. I have had some teething problems when changing up nutrients but I have never had a plant suffer that I know of from 24/0. I have not shut my tent down once in going on five years. I am just stating my methods i am not trying to prove it is better for everyone but it works soundly for me especially in the winter when my basement can get COLD.View attachment 962598A 24/0 Santa marta Haze

A major reason for adopting a 24-0 light schedule is simplicity.
No timers needed.
No worry about switching humidifiers off at lights out, and then on when lights come back on.
No worry about flaky heaters coming on at the wrong time.

Just keep everything the same all the time.
Nothing could be simpler.

anything above 18/6 is the norm
some run 20/4 for 2 weeks then switch to 18/6

I voted for 18/6 20/4 and other
Me too sometimes I actually do 17/7 if they look like they might me stressing or go 20/4 if they look like they need me light I always monitor and try to read my girls

I've noticed my NL are droopy after about 15-17 hours in. I was running the 450 led for 21/3. I pumped the light down to 4 hrs. off now 5 hrs. off. Going to work toward 18/6. Does anyone know if this NL strain is know for this? My heat, ,nutes, light, ph, all good. They are on week 7. Lots of bud sites. Check out photo.1025181117b.jpg
1025181117b.jpg

For me its easier to do 24h on because of the night tempature and humidity is a threat for me, but i think 20/4 is the best for most people

I've noticed my NL are droopy after about 15-17 hours in. I was running the 450 led for 21/3. I pumped the light down to 4 hrs. off now 5 hrs. off. Going to work toward 18/6. Does anyone know if this NL strain is know for this? My heat, ,nutes, light, ph, all good. They are on week 7. Lots of bud sites. Check out photo.View attachment 966946 View attachment 966946
Im no pro, but they look fine to me.. Ive heard its not so good to give Auto's less light rather than turning it up because some autoflowers may go hermie.. Like starting with 12-12 and then switch to 18-6 would be better than other way around.. So in that sense Auto's are oppesite to photoperiods.. But just what i heard

I had to go look at my timer. It's set on 19/5. I've seen no difference in growth between 18/6 or 20/4, So I hit the middle ground.

Back