Mephisto Genetics What is your baseline?

Perhaps my philosophical question is why do these commercial growers have to use clones? I don’t think that people growing heavily hybridized corn or wheat have to do that. I jokingly mentioned the Ben & Jerry’s thing because it seems to me that a lot of people are just throwing whatever into the pot and hoping that the next Chery Garcia will sprout. Lol
If you look at those fields of corn and wheat you will find different "phenos" it just does not make much difference in a field of millions of plants. The genetics have been inbred for a long time so there is less variation.

Commercial growers must make money. They need to know what to expect from the strain they are growing (height, vigor, nutrient needs, yield etc.) and they need to finish on a tight schedule using known inputs. Then when they sell the crop they cannot be testing hundreds of individual plants to get the needed information for sales purposes. Clones will all be identical and one test will get the job done.

Fortunately, I already have a higher end LED panel so I would just grab another one like it. I can either step up a little bit to an HLG or step down a little bit to say a Kingbrite. I wouldn’t be too concerned about compatibility either way. My concern with the auto pots is complexity. Same concern that I would have with Hydro. I need to figure out what mixture I can come up with that behaves like soil so that I don’t have to be quite as detail oriented as if I was a growing in DWC. I would also prefer to not have to have it delivered from Brunei. LOL
+1 on Mephisto seeds, and on autopots. Have a look at the autopot review in my sig before you decide.

As to lights, I suggest not getting your shorts in too much of a knot over the specs of led lights. Just get yourself another panel like you have if you like it, and you should be fine. 270 watts of LED's will do very nicely in a 2x4 at >33 watts/ sq ft., and having two separate panels will allow adjustment for two different plants if that turns out to be helpful. Ideally, being dimmable can prove handy, so if that is an option, go for it.

It is true, I think, that the highest end LED's will get you more weed per watt hour, but the question is how much more, and at what cost?

Here is a quote from my review of results of my screw in light option:

I have a further perspective re. the yield I managed. I got just over 300 grams of dried bud and assumed an average of ~300 watts during the grow, for 1g/watt total. The 300 watt assumption if anything may be a bit high, so 1g/watt is likely a tad conservative for my grow. In any case, as I mentioned, I was fighting light and nute problems for a lot of the grow, and believe that I would have had higher yield had I lowered light intensity throughout and got the nutes sorted right from the start. If I assume that yield could go up by 20% or so, and that 250 watts would be good, the yield would be 360 grams/250 watts, or a bit more than 1.4g/watt, which is getting pretty close to the ~1.5 g/watt listed for the Mars Hydro TS series.
So, I think potential yield seems similar to other more expensive LED alternatives, and easy local availability of components can be advantageous. No doubt differences are there, but the question is how important they are to a small scale personal grower. I figure my power costs for lighting at 250 watts would be less than ~$30Cdn, so an increase in yield efficiency of 30% would save me something like $9 per grow, or less than 3 cents/gram. At that rate, it would take a fair number of grows to make up for higher cost alternatives even with a 30% improvement in yield efficiency, which I suspect is unlikely.
I include the quote not to convince you about screwins, but to illustrate the actual cost comparisons involved in deciding on lights. Bottom line is that, for us home growers, efficiency of LEDs is not that big a deal. Even significant increases in LED efficiency mean trivial savings in the power consumption for a small home grow. Who cares if a grow costs the price of a pint more than it would with better lights?​
If you have need to invest more bucks, get a good ph meter, preferably one that will measure pH in soil. And get or make a tent/growdrobe with all the height you can manage, especially if your lights are not dimmable.​
Just my 2 cents worth of course. :biggrin:
Happy growing, whatever setup you settle with. :pighug:

OK. So I’ve had four pages of fun. Can anyone recommend a strain from Mephisto for me? :doh::biggrin:

OK. So I’ve had four pages of fun. Can anyone recommend a strain from Mephisto for me? :doh::biggrin:
Lol. It depends on what your goals are.
Are you looking for yield? Taste? Smell? Potency? Or medicinal effect?

In order of importance to you what are these traits you are lookin for? that will help

Well, yield is never a bad thing . If the medicinal effect that you speak of is getting stoned then yes, that is important. :biggrin: As far as taste goes, I guess I’ll just go with the standard burning plant material flavor? What terpene would that be? Charcoalene?.:rofl: What is your favorite Mephisto strain and why?

Well, yield is never a bad thing . If the medicinal effect that you speak of is getting stoned then yes, that is important. :biggrin: As far as taste goes, I guess I’ll just go with the standard burning plant material flavor? What terpene would that be? Charcoalene?.:rofl: What is your favorite Mephisto strain and why?
So it seems that your order of importance would be

1. Yield
2. Potency
3. Taste/smell

with that being said I would say double grape is your strain. They can get really big, are suuuuuper potent and tastes and smells like grape candy.

my favorite Mephisto strain is cosmic queen due to her super unique Terp profile.

This sour stomper is amazaballs good friend. I sell around 5-6 Lbs a year and this has been my fastest selling strain so far and I love smoking it. Easy as fuck to grow as well. On a side note. I feel hydro is so much easier than soil, plus it on average, gives bigger yields and is a hell of let less messy. The 2 biggest yielding methods I have seen are Ebb and Flow and DWC. It seems that DWC is more popular of the 2, however E&F leaves more room for error. My set up is so stupid that I could leave my plants for a month and come back and they would be fine.

So which of the Mephisto strain other than 24 karat can you kind of forced to stay small if you want to grow a larger number of plants in a smaller space? Of course, this all assumes that I will be able to get hold of any Mephisto seeds. I can only really order from US seed banks or their US store if they ever open it again.

So it seems that your order of importance would be

1. Yield
2. Potency
3. Taste/smell

with that being said I would say double grape is your strain. They can get really big, are suuuuuper potent and tastes and smells like grape candy.

my favorite Mephisto strain is cosmic queen due to her super unique Terp profile.

That Cosmic Queen is so nice. It was pretty popular and I loved the high it gave.

So when the Mephisto US store is actually open. Is it really in the US?

Back