I recently built a light based on Quantum Boards from Horticultural Lighting Group/Norther Growlights. I'm running 4 QB 304 boards on an HLG320H-C2800b driver.
I run all 4 in parallel for about 80 watts per board. I'm just starting a grow using them. I'm also testing Autocob's lights in a small tent. All three of my tents are now on COB lighting! I've cut 1000 watts from my grow room!

Quantum Board in tent pic1 -3-27-2017.jpg
Autocob test - tent shot pic 1 -3-23-2017.jpg

my hlg 185h 1400 running 4 1212's get damn hot as well bro its totally normal i think.some hps ballasts get even hotter so its not a problem bro @BigSm0 will let you know more
Cool bro cheers for the input.
the driver do get hot That's why I like mounting mine remote.
Mine was in the tent, but I've re configured and moved it out. Happy to have the small temp drop.

Quantum Boards are also a COB. The advantage of them is with the diodes spread out they are much easier to cool. For me, they are about gaining max height in my tent, and I'm going to need it! Growing 4 photo periods under them.

I recently built a light based on Quantum Boards from Horticultural Lighting Group/Norther Growlights. I'm running 4 QB 304 boards on an HLG320H-C2800b driver.
I run all 4 in parallel for about 80 watts per board. I'm just starting a grow using them. I'm also testing Autocob's lights in a small tent. All three of my tents are now on COB lighting! I've cut 1000 watts from my grow room!

View attachment 723952 View attachment 723953
That's pretty cool. Those qbs look great. Nice to see some tomatoes getting the love as well... Amazing to hear, 1000w less.. These things really prove their worth don't they. What were you running beforehand vs now?

Just dropping a line to see if i can get some help, or directed to the right thread..

My driver.. Meanwell HLG 240 1050B running x6 citi 1212 undimmed. i only noticed after a re set up that the driver is too hot to touch for longer than 5 seconds or so. 49-50c / 121f according to my temp gun... Is that too hot or normal? can the heat go down by dimming? is it necessary?

Any input appreciated guys, thanks.
Drivers do get hot and it is normal. Especially if driven to near capacity. If it's mounted on a frame you can try adding spacers to the bottom of it for better air flow around the entire driver itself. Any little bit helps.
@2Stoned2Care @BigSm0 @Son of Hobbes ...hi guys, I am thinking of a diy cob.. I was wondering what you guys think of driverless cobs - like the ones you find on aliexpress..are they any good - would u recommend them? Cheers :baked:
I shouldn't reply since it would look like I'm biased. Pop22 and @Puddentane will give you the best advice with them. I agree with pop though. Big thumbs down.

@2Stoned2Care @BigSm0 @Son of Hobbes ...hi guys, I am thinking of a diy cob.. I was wondering what you guys think of driverless cobs - like the ones you find on aliexpress..are they any good - would u recommend them? Cheers :baked:

They are crap bro.get some citizen cobs and a good driver and your laughing.so easy to make your own fantastic light that beats the pants off virtually anything you can buy

Drivers do get hot and it is normal. Especially if driven to near capacity. If it's mounted on a frame you can try adding spacers to the bottom of it for better air flow around the entire driver itself. Any little bit helps.

I shouldn't reply since it would look like I'm biased. Pop22 and @Puddentane will give you the best advice with them. I agree with pop though. Big thumbs down.
The driverless chips are fantastic for over your router table. And these things really are the way the industry should take the entire shebang. But for growing they are mediocre. Will they grow? yup. Will they grow well? Nope.

The driverless chips are fantastic for over your router table. And these things really are the way the industry should take the entire shebang. But for growing they are mediocre. Will they grow? yup. Will they grow well? Nope.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: If I wasn't a vendor here that would have been my exact reply.

I had a Vipar 675 watt Reflector ( 435 true watts ), a Mars Hydro 192x3 Reflector series, a pair of "600 watt " generics ( 285 watt each ), a 300 watt Mars old style, and a 180 watt UFO in my cab.. Now I have a pair of Cobkits light engines ( active heatsinks with Citizen 1818 chips ) running at 55 watts each, a pair of Autocobs at 55 watts each, A 4 cob light built on a Northern Growlights Mod 420 frame using parts they supplied for a test build: Four Citzen 1825 chips I have it running at 250 watts, could go to 400 with better heatsinks, and my QB light. So, I've gone from 1630 watts of 25% efficiency ( and I'm likely being generous... ) to 830 watts at 50% efficiency.
So an actual 800 watts saving AND twice as efficient!

That's pretty cool. Those qbs look great. Nice to see some tomatoes getting the love as well... Amazing to hear, 1000w less.. These things really prove their worth don't they. What were you running beforehand vs now?
830 watts of 50% efficient

I had a Vipar 675 watt Reflector ( 435 true watts ), a Mars Hydro 192x3 Reflector series, a pair of "600 watt " generics ( 285 watt each ), a 300 watt Mars old style, and a 180 watt UFO in my cab.. Now I have a pair of Cobkits light engines ( active heatsinks with Citizen 1818 chips ) running at 55 watts each, a pair of Autocobs at 55 watts each, A 4 cob light built on a Northern Growlights Mod 420 frame using parts they supplied for a test build: Four Citzen 1825 chips I have it running at 250 watts, could go to 400 with better heatsinks, and my QB light. So, I've gone from 1630 watts of 25% efficiency ( and I'm likely being generous... ) to 830 watts at 50% efficiency.
So an actual 800 watts saving AND twice as efficient!

830 watts of 50% efficient
These cobs are so powerful and effective that I quit arguing with people over whether it was a good investment for new growers. To be honest I really can't help chuckling under my breath watching as people defend their lighting choices. I was myuch the same but I came around to the truth by observation. So I can understand other kindred spirits needing to see it for their self. I did. Now it is lots of cobs spread out for even light and the resultant growth is simply stunning.

Somebody with too much time on my hands (that excludes pop22 and smo) should set all these different systems up side by side and do a mapped chart reading. They do these all the time already but no one seems willing to believe science.

I don't have Autocobs, but my DIY's are similar in scope and even with my lesser systems I can tell you these things grow STRONG plants. buy em build em or watch from the sidelines. You can do the same with many other lights, but good luck doing it at this price point.

Back