Hello everybody and thanks again for your messages.
@Cotton46 Glad to hear that! Auto Haze has been one of our best autos for a while, but it is out of production for this year. You're really lucky to still have a few beans!

@Waira happy to see you found some nice strains in our collection. C99 was created from the original Brothers Grimm's C99. It is faster than the original, and produces fairly big, fruity (pineapple/grapefruit) buds. Grapefruit has the same genetic background of Iced Grapefruit, C99, Outdoor Grapefruit and SexBud. However, there are quite some variations in terms of flowering time, flavours, production and structure of the plants.
Cannot say that much on the fact that those are actually disappearing, but it's true that not so many companies have those specific strains in their collections.
Regarding the "semi-auto's" feature: I'd rather quote our breeder's words, as he was and he is one of the very first Dutch breeders, having started his career with Positronics, the first seedbank in Europe.

How semi-autoflowering is perceived , we leave up to the mind of the beholder.
All our semi-auto strains were developed before the automatic era. We started breeding automatic lines with our early-flowering lines in the beginning of the 90's.
We were after plants that not started flowering in spring, but started flowering very early in Summer. Plants first mature, then go into flower. So we went after the late maturing ones.. We sold the very early maturing ones as " early Misty " seeds, nowadays called "automatics". In those days we were not interested in them, because of the bad smoking qualities, like the first "low riders", that came to the market at the end of the 90's...
So our semi-automatic plants are late maturing (around 10 weeks), so they cannot flower in the spring, when they mature. The autoflowering gene kicks in, the plants start flowering from inside out, a few weeks later the plant starts to react on the shorter day length, and because the autoflowering gene induced the flowering, it starts to flower faster and heavier, with an early finish.
Half to end sept in Holland, maybe half August in California with high grade Buds , with good smoking properties.. In the past sometimes we sold some buds as indoor quality.. This was a big achievement in those days, and after that, we went after breeding reliable female seeds, while leaving the automatics for what they were.. A while later, others picked up that trail...
I hope those information are helpful. Again, if you need more info, just ask and I'll do my best to support you.
You mentioned the Auto Haze is out of production this year do you mean there not available this year I noticed them on your sale site?

Welcome to Female Seeds. I've had the good fortune to have grown several of their strains over the years. My first outdoor grow that wasn't from bag seeds was some Female Seeds White Widow and Ice. I grew them right in my vegetable garden behind a couple rows of corn. The Widow ended up producing 2 1/2 lbs. while the Ice gave 3 lbs. The Ice was a monster, getting about 6' high and 6' in diameter after a few toppings. Some of the buds were as big as my forearm. I've also grown Ice and their Lemon Kush in my rdwc system. The Ice didn't produce those monster buds indoors but still produced very well. The Lemon Kush was one of my first rdwc grows when I was still learning, so didn't do as well as it could have, the fault being entirely mine. It's one I want to run again. The lemon scent was very distinctive and the smoke did have a lemon taste. I know I can do better with it now that I've got a bit more experience with rdwc. I've also had occasion to deal with their customer support and they were first class. A welcome addition to AFN.

Hey @Muddy that's great to hear! Are you talking about the White Widow x Big Bud? ICE is a real monster: in the right outdoor conditions this strain can reach easily 2 meters and give you a huge harvest. Same thing with WWxBB: if in the right conditions, it can give you a lot of love and THC.
I am also glad to read about the Lemon Kush: one of the oldest strains our breeder has been working on and we sell a lot of those beans to medical users here in NL.
I would be very curious about your RDWC system, as I am personally thinking of this for my indoor growth this fall/winter. Would you be so kind to share some photos with us? ;)

Last but not least: 3lb is not that bad at all, how about the smoke? Must have been nice! ;)

Hey @Female Seeds,
I'm running some of your indoor-mix(photo-period) and ww x bb just now: x4 of each (elsewhere),anyway they all germed and are about to be flipped to 12/12, they been topped n trained and are looking good so far..
Will throw sum pics up when they done..
What strains of yours is auto- & potent ( pain killer or couchlock effect..?) ,would appreciate your recommendations.! Cheers
Gaz

Hey @gaz29! Nice to read about the Indoor Mix and WWxBB! Looking forward to seeing some pics!
About your question: Auto AK, Auto Kush and Auto WWxBB are good pain killers and should give you the couch lock effect you're looking for. However, for better results (and more THC) I would suggest you to try some photoperiodics strains, such as C99 (sativa with huge amounts of THC and CBD and is as fast as an indica) or ICE. Especially the C99 is great for pain management due to its high THC content. It also has a high CBD content for a Sativa of around 0.6%, which is truly unique and not found in any other Sativa strain. THC and CBD create a synergy and really help you manage pain.
Hope those information are helpful.If you need more, just write me :)

You mentioned the Auto Haze is out of production this year do you mean there not available this year I noticed them on your sale site?
As far as I can tell you, it will be out of production also for the next year. We are revamping our strains collection, and I am afraid we will not see the Auto Haze back again for a while.
It is still listed on our website, but as out of stock.

@Muddy - Hey...what kind of finish time did the female seeds have outdoors, and how many hours of daylight do you have on the longest day, as well as how many minutes daylight do you lose per day after the 21st of june?

@912GreenSkell It really depends on the strain and on your location: based on your question, I can only tell you that they'll be ready from Mid-September on at least. But again, it really depends on your location and the strain to grow.
If you can give a few info more, I will be able to give you a proper, detailed answer. :)

As far as I can tell you, it will be out of production also for the next year. We are revamping our strains collection, and I am afraid we will not see the Auto Haze back again for a while.
It is still listed on our website, but as out of stock.
Well I look forward to trying some of you guys other's!!

@912GreenSkell It really depends on the strain and on your location: based on your question, I can only tell you that they'll be ready from Mid-September on at least. But again, it really depends on your location and the strain to grow.
If you can give a few info more, I will be able to give you a proper, detailed answer. :)

45th N. We get 15.5 hours of daylight on June the 21st and lose 2-3 minutes daily after that.

@Waira happy to see you found some nice strains in our collection. C99 was created from the original Brothers Grimm's C99. It is faster than the original, and produces fairly big, fruity (pineapple/grapefruit) buds. Grapefruit has the same genetic background of Iced Grapefruit, C99, Outdoor Grapefruit and SexBud. However, there are quite some variations in terms of flowering time, flavours, production and structure of the plants.
Cannot say that much on the fact that those are actually disappearing, but it's true that not so many companies have those specific strains in their collections.
Regarding the "semi-auto's" feature: I'd rather quote our breeder's words, as he was and he is one of the very first Dutch breeders, having started his career with Positronics, the first seedbank in Europe.

How semi-autoflowering is perceived , we leave up to the mind of the beholder.
All our semi-auto strains were developed before the automatic era. We started breeding automatic lines with our early-flowering lines in the beginning of the 90's.
We were after plants that not started flowering in spring, but started flowering very early in Summer. Plants first mature, then go into flower. So we went after the late maturing ones.. We sold the very early maturing ones as " early Misty " seeds, nowadays called "automatics". In those days we were not interested in them, because of the bad smoking qualities, like the first "low riders", that came to the market at the end of the 90's...
So our semi-automatic plants are late maturing (around 10 weeks), so they cannot flower in the spring, when they mature. The autoflowering gene kicks in, the plants start flowering from inside out, a few weeks later the plant starts to react on the shorter day length, and because the autoflowering gene induced the flowering, it starts to flower faster and heavier, with an early finish.
Half to end sept in Holland, maybe half August in California with high grade Buds , with good smoking properties.. In the past sometimes we sold some buds as indoor quality.. This was a big achievement in those days, and after that, we went after breeding reliable female seeds, while leaving the automatics for what they were.. A while later, others picked up that trail...

I hope those information are helpful. Again, if you need more info, just ask and I'll do my best to support you...... Last but not least: Just checked your last point about Sweet's F1FV.
This would require a more complicated answer, but in a nutshell, no, we have nothing to do with that and we do not sell any F1 seed, just stable genetics.
Hope this is enough. :)

:pass: Very interesting info Mr. G', thank you! This begs the question about who all really was tinkering with C. ruderalis (not sure where the taxonomists place this nowadays?) plants behind the scenes, when they started, who was the true "originator" of such breeding experiments way back when,...All shrouded in mystery so far as I can tell,... even more interesting is that your initial auto breeding wasn't angling for high potency fully auto' plants, but was instead looking to gain the blooming speed from their hybrids, but not be so light sensitive that they would trigger blooming too early and not have a decent amount of time in veg' stage....? Can you explain more on the "flowering from the inside out" part as well? I'm not well versed on breeding yet, but I recall another Canadian breeder (HighRise) whose focus was on speed and potency, mentioning about the powerful expression of the auto'/rudi' genes even several generations down the (IBL) line with photosensitive plants,... like, once it's in there, it's difficult to breed out... is this true? He also recommended growers to not veg their plants more than 18 hours of light because when put outside with less than 14 (?) hours of light, it may trigger blooming.....I'm not trying to delve into Female Seeds proprietary methods, etc., but can you paint some more broad strokes on this? Take Easy Sativa for example; original Sativa plant breed with a select (IBL?) ruderalis, or a rudi' cross,..F1, no auto's, right? But bloom speed enhanced... pheno' selection --> back crossed with original photo parent- ?.... pheno' selection again,.. and so on, looking for both speed, strong parent photo characteristics? .... This brings to mind if there is a scientifically valid definition of semi-auto's, "super" auto's, and the like,... I see a lot of confusion, misunderstanding, ignorance, ....stupidity- :rofl: - on these labels,... :doh: :confused1: ............. Are the C99 and Grapefruit part of the semi-auto strains? I see there's a dedicated outdoor Grapefruit strain, what traits were selected for in this one to lend her to OD life better? ... For sure, C99 is top o' the list for me next season! ...Grapefruit for the following,...:hump:
As for the complaint about diversity, it was directed at the dispensaries around here and the redundancy of strains on the menus! :face: ... Everybody and their Grandma has on OG cut named after them, absolutely ridiculous,... next is the damned Girl Scout Cookies, ditto for Gorilla Glue [HASHTAG]#4[/HASHTAG], and the scores-- literally!-- of cut variations and crosses of them! :wall: ..no lie, I can find menu's where basically half of the strains offered are under this umbrella,... having tried many of them, I find the distinctions in aroma and buzz to be pretty minimal,.. not that they are bad strains mind you, just too much of the same/nearly same crap, just a new name!... Sativa diversity particularly is a joke anymore... I see about a dozen or so of the same tired old things offered everywhere,... pathetic diversity compared to Indica's and Hybrids,... seems nobody wants to take the time and spend the $$ to grow them... I don't get it! Most are not fast finishers anyway, so why not grow something new, enticing and delicious instead of -*yaaaaawn*- another f'ing Sour Diesel, or Tangie, Super Silver Haze, Jack Herer, Blue Dream,...:nono: zzzzzzzzzzz,... There are so many other strains, just as fast or faster, better, and NEW to the scene, or old classics like C99 that have just faded away,....the marketing is becoming a sheep-call anymore! :pimp: :crying:.... I'm so tired of all these, I'm running nearly all Sativa/Sativa dom. strains this season at my grow, only Cannalope Haze having any remote relation to the above, et al,... :headbang:

:pass: Very interesting info Mr. G', thank you! This begs the question about who all really was tinkering with C. ruderalis (not sure where the taxonomists place this nowadays?) plants behind the scenes, when they started, who was the true "originator" of such breeding experiments way back when,...All shrouded in mystery so far as I can tell,...

Hey @Waira, long and interesting post from you, I'll do my best to give you a comprehensive explanation.
As far as I can tell you and as far as I know, the very first breeder of Automatic strain was The Joint Doctor, who introduced on the market lowryder and lowryder [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG], even if experiments with Ruderalis were done already in the 70s without producing the expected results.

even more interesting is that your initial auto breeding wasn't angling for high potency fully auto' plants, but was instead looking to gain the blooming speed from their hybrids, but not be so light sensitive that they would trigger blooming too early and not have a decent amount of time in veg' stage....? Can you explain more on the "flowering from the inside out" part as well? I'm not well versed on breeding yet, but I recall another Canadian breeder (HighRise) whose focus was on speed and potency, mentioning about the powerful expression of the auto'/rudi' genes even several generations down the (IBL) line with photosensitive plants,... like, once it's in there, it's difficult to breed out... is this true? He also recommended growers to not veg their plants more than 18 hours of light because when put outside with less than 14 (?) hours of light, it may trigger blooming.....I'm not trying to delve into Female Seeds proprietary methods, etc., but can you paint some more broad strokes on this? Take Easy Sativa for example; original Sativa plant breed with a select (IBL?) ruderalis, or a rudi' cross,..F1, no auto's, right? But bloom speed enhanced... pheno' selection --> back crossed with original photo parent- ?.... pheno' selection again,.. and so on, looking for both speed, strong parent photo characteristics? .... This brings to mind if there is a scientifically valid definition of semi-auto's, "super" auto's, and the like,... I see a lot of confusion, misunderstanding, ignorance, ....stupidity- :rofl: - on these labels,... :doh: :confused1: ............. Are the C99 and Grapefruit part of the semi-auto strains? I see there's a dedicated outdoor Grapefruit strain, what traits were selected for in this one to lend her to OD life better? ... For sure, C99 is top o' the list for me next season! ...Grapefruit for the following,...:hump:

I'll try to reply where possible and will get back to the unanswered questions later these days.
The focus of Female Seeds was on plants that could finish earlier and could work in difficult conditions (like Northern Europe).
I cannot tell you much about the Canadian breeder and what he said about breeding out auto genes.
For some strains it is necessary not to veg them at more than 18hours of light and to be careful with the time switching.
Autos were used to breed our strains, as much as indoor strains: autos were used to shorten the flowering time (like in the case of C99 and Easy Sativa), while indoor strains were used to improve the production, while still keeping the Sativa effects and flavours. Basically you can say that our strains are "semi-auto" in a sense that they are not automatics but they do convey autos genes in their genetic makeup.

As for the complaint about diversity, it was directed at the dispensaries around here and the redundancy of strains on the menus! :face: ... Everybody and their Grandma has on OG cut named after them, absolutely ridiculous,... next is the damned Girl Scout Cookies, ditto for Gorilla Glue [HASHTAG]#4[/HASHTAG], and the scores-- literally!-- of cut variations and crosses of them! :wall: ..no lie, I can find menu's where basically half of the strains offered are under this umbrella,... having tried many of them, I find the distinctions in aroma and buzz to be pretty minimal,.. not that they are bad strains mind you, just too much of the same/nearly same crap, just a new name!... Sativa diversity particularly is a joke anymore... I see about a dozen or so of the same tired old things offered everywhere,... pathetic diversity compared to Indica's and Hybrids,... seems nobody wants to take the time and spend the $$ to grow them... I don't get it! Most are not fast finishers anyway, so why not grow something new, enticing and delicious instead of -*yaaaaawn*- another f'ing Sour Diesel, or Tangie, Super Silver Haze, Jack Herer, Blue Dream,...:nono: zzzzzzzzzzz,... There are so many other strains, just as fast or faster, better, and NEW to the scene, or old classics like C99 that have just faded away,....the marketing is becoming a sheep-call anymore! :pimp: :crying:.... I'm so tired of all these, I'm running nearly all Sativa/Sativa dom. strains this season at my grow, only Cannalope Haze having any remote relation to the above, et al,... :headbang:

This is an interesting point in my opinion. I agree with you on most of what you said. Some things would need a long explanation though, and I am not sure this is the right place for this.

I am going to look more into your previous questions and get back to you asap with more details.

Hey @Muddy that's great to hear! Are you talking about the White Widow x Big Bud? ICE is a real monster: in the right outdoor conditions this strain can reach easily 2 meters and give you a huge harvest. Same thing with WWxBB: if in the right conditions, it can give you a lot of love and THC.
I am also glad to read about the Lemon Kush: one of the oldest strains our breeder has been working on and we sell a lot of those beans to medical users here in NL.
I would be very curious about your RDWC system, as I am personally thinking of this for my indoor growth this fall/winter. Would you be so kind to share some photos with us? ;)

Last but not least: 3lb is not that bad at all, how about the smoke? Must have been nice! ;)

No, it was just White Widow. That grow was about 8 or 9 years ago now and I think before you developed the WWxBB. The smoke on both the Widow and the Ice was excellent. In fact, they became somewhat of a local legend. A lot of my friends were used to smoke brick weed and having some excellent home grown was a treat. My neighbor still talks about the Widow, saying it's the best he's ever smoked.

I love rdwc and would never grow indoor photos any other way. There is a learning curve but once you get the hang of them, they are easy to operate and produce outstanding results. I've got a running thread on my rdwc grows here: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/muddys-rdwc-extravaganza.57626/. Lots of pictures in there. If you decide to go that route, let me know. I'll be glad to help out in any way I can.

Back