Mephisto Genetics UPDATED Seed starting advice in real time with slowandeasy

Well it did not work me slow. You could sprout seeds in ant shit on a moon rock, whereas I am so fucking challenged I need the help of rapid rooters. I love them actually, and consider them an excellent value. If I can have an easy way to sprout a $10 seed, which turns in to a $700 plant, for $0.30, I'm in. I do not buy your argument that they are expensive or whatever else you hate about them. If they sucked, the would not be selling.

I think your method is for someone with experience. That's just my humble opinion based on the one try where I drowned 6 beans. I have a new method underway now, and guess what, it uses rapid rooters. Fingers crossed bro. But I'm not confident enough to do a live real time thread thats for sure.

But its great to share ideas slow and you do that in spades on AFN. Helped me out immensely.

Happy freaking 420 bro.
Hate is a strong word bro. I said they are useless for people who grow in Coco. Completely unnecessary, and an added expense. I agree it is cheaper than losing seeds, but if you follow directions you won't lose seeds. Your problem is human error, adding extra water to a cup without a root will literally drown the seed. I never once said to add water, spray, ect. Especially if you are using a 50/50 mix. Set it and forget it. You love to over love your plants. Super common newbie mistake. I wish you luck with Rapid rooters. Once you get some experience you will look back and laugh....or cry. J/k peace, slow

Last edited:
Hate is a strong word bro. I said they are useless for people who grow in Coco. Completely unnecessary, and an added expense. I agree it is cheaper than losing seeds, but if you follow directions you won't lose seeds. Your problem is human error, adding extra water to a cup without a root will literally drown the seed. I never once said to add water, spray, ect. Especially if you are using a 50/50 mix. Set it and forget it. You love to over love your plants. Super common newbie mistake. I wish you luck with Rapid rooters. Once you get some experience you will look back and laugh....or cry. J/k peace, slow

slow, you are dead on about my errors. I over watered my beans using this method. And I also had issues with too much water in tissue for some reason but my success rate was better for sure. And possibly too much heat with the seedling mat that I used for germ.

The reason I like rapid rooters is I find it a lot easier to keep them loaded with the right amount of water. They are a smaller volume compared to the solo cups, which can end up holding a lot more water. And I find rapid rooters don't hold water all that well which is a good thing for a guy like me. A solo cup can hold on to water more in my experience. But one thing that I need to do no matter what method or material I use is to just get the medium moist, then dome it and leave it alone. When I don't see results for 3 days I think I need to water again. But the medium is still moist enough because humidity was trapped. But I end up thinking I need to add some H2O. Stupid rookie mistake.

However assuming I can pop this next batch, I will drop them in the clear solo cups after a few days because I do like the clear cups for seedlings. For whatever reason I did not have issues during seedling phase using the cups. In fact I found the cups were excellent for me. if I can see moisture on the inside of the cup, especially in the top half, and the weight feels right, I know to leave it alone and not water.

And yes once I get more experience i may try what you are doing.

Appreciate you trying to help us those of who struggle with the germ.

slow, you are dead on about my errors. I over watered my beans using this method. And I also had issues with too much water in tissue for some reason but my success rate was better for sure. And possibly too much heat with the seedling mat that I used for germ.

The reason I like rapid rooters is I find it a lot easier to keep them loaded with the right amount of water. They are a smaller volume compared to the solo cups, which can end up holding a lot more water. And I find rapid rooters don't hold water all that well which is a good thing for a guy like me. A solo cup can hold on to water more in my experience. But one thing that I need to do no matter what method or material I use is to just get the medium moist, then dome it and leave it alone. When I don't see results for 3 days I think I need to water again. But the medium is still moist enough because humidity was trapped. But I end up thinking I need to add some H2O. Stupid rookie mistake.

However assuming I can pop this next batch, I will drop them in the clear solo cups after a few days because I do like the clear cups for seedlings. For whatever reason I did not have issues during seedling phase using the cups. In fact I found the cups were excellent for me. if I can see moisture on the inside of the cup, especially in the top half, and the weight feels right, I know to leave it alone and not water.

And yes once I get more experience i may try what you are doing.

Appreciate you trying to help us those of who struggle with the germ.
I suggest using small 5oz cups, Solo cups are much larger and hold more moisture. You will be able to feed those 5oz cups faster and more often...which is exactly what we want for rapid growth.

Thanks again for sharing this info @slowandeasy I will be using these tips my next round.
My pleasure. I hope this helps some people. Some people struggle to germ seeds or take much longer. Being up with shells off in 2 days is pretty good IMO, especially with the ability to feed very often. Larger cups don't need to be fed often. The more they eat, the faster they grow. 5oz cups works well. They dry out faster and need food more often.

Last edited:
I suggest using small 5oz cups, Solo cups are much larger and hold more moisture. You will be able to feed those 5oz cups faster and more often...which is exactly what we want for rapid growth.

I'll look at that for sure, once I finish my bag of plugs Slow. I like starting in a smaller format for sure. One of the new batch of 6 popped this afternoon, and damn if I don't feel like a new parent for some reason.

I can’t lie, I’m surprised someone who refuses to touch seeds without gloves on keeps such a messy tent.

I'm not going to but a new insert for my tent because of a flooded Autopot. The AN nutes ate away the reflective floor, it won't wipe off. Once you start harvesting multiple plants EVERY single week a new looking insert is not a concern. I vacuum, spray and clean all of my tents very frequently, but I am not going to stage pics to please people like you. Also, why is everyone hell bent on the glove/no glove issue? Go finger your asshole and plant your seeds, I don't give a fuck. I'm telling you what I do, if you don't like it or agree...that's up to you. I am not stressing the GLOVE only method, just sharing my experience of over 20+ years. I was taught to avoid touching seeds over 2 decades ago. Myth? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. One thing is 100%, if you don't touch them...you don't even have to worry or have anything to blame it on. Once you start harvesting plants weekly for 20 years let me know.

Last edited:
Back